Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2024 12:27:46 PM EDT
I am looking for an MP-5SD rifle but, I wonder about other options that 'might be better'?

Fans of the APC series make it sound like a product-improved MP-5.  The B&T SPC-9 is that specifically sort of being a surrogate for AR-15/M-16 rifle training on a pistol range that is sort of a hybrid of the best of the MP-5 and M-16.  APC9 is a bit in a league of its own but, appears to possibly be better than the "Legend" itself!

In fairness, I am a bit biased right now since I have shot a factory MP-5F and own two SP-5's (pistol and rifle).  I need an MP-5SD for some shooting I do but, prices are pretty high with a PTR version running >$4K with Dakota Tactical being ~$7K, and RDTS/MM/TSC/... being in the $10K range.

My understanding is that the APC9-SD is an MP-5SD surrogate, barrel ports and all.  I need subsonic velocity from common off-the-shelf ammunition.  They all seem to generally use the B&T 'compact' suppressor so, that is a wash.  SP-5 recoil is not an issue but, the hydraulic buffer in the APC9 series should be even better.

With the APC9-SD being in the sub-$4K range, that seems to be a better value today.  How does it compare to the legend?

TIA,
Sid
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I got my apc9 sd for around 2700. I think they're going to a new gen of them so deals can be had.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By sidpost:
I am looking for an MP-5SD rifle but, I wonder about other options that 'might be better'?

Fans of the APC series make it sound like a product-improved MP-5.  The B&T SPC-9 is that specifically sort of being a surrogate for AR-15/M-16 rifle training on a pistol range that is sort of a hybrid of the best of the MP-5 and M-16.  APC9 is a bit in a league of its own but, appears to possibly be better than the "Legend" itself!

In fairness, I am a bit biased right now since I have shot a factory MP-5F and own two SP-5's (pistol and rifle).  I need an MP-5SD for some shooting I do but, prices are pretty high with a PTR version running >$4K with Dakota Tactical being ~$7K, and RDTS/MM/TSC/... being in the $10K range.

My understanding is that the APC9-SD is an MP-5SD surrogate, barrel ports and all.  I need subsonic velocity from common off-the-shelf ammunition.  They all seem to generally use the B&T 'compact' suppressor so, that is a wash.  SP-5 recoil is not an issue but, the hydraulic buffer in the APC9 series should be even better.

With the APC9-SD being in the sub-$4K range, that seems to be a better value today.  How does it compare to the legend?

TIA,
Sid
View Quote

Do you mean SP5/SP5K-PDW or an actual MP5SD? If MP5SD and money is no issue, get the MP5SD.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 1:24:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chargerdude70] [#3]
SD converted from SP5 will cost you around 4G depending on armorer.I had Michael Machines do my last one in RAL and timeframe was around 6 weeks from ship to ship. He is one of the few that will make it a registered sear host. The cost with can was less than 4G so even if you bought a new donor you would be under 7G. Recoil from an SD is nothing. If you happen to go this route and choose Mike, tell him I sent you.

Edit: I’m third guy from left in green shirt.

Link Posted: 6/5/2024 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Roller delayed > direct blowback
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#5]
MP5SD is the gold standard, but the B&T products are easier to attach optics and accessories.

If you have a sear, the SD is best choice, but the filthiest!

18Z50….
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chargerdude70:
SD converted from SP5 will cost you around 4G depending on armorer.I had Michael Machines do my last one in RAL and timeframe was around 6 weeks from ship to ship. He is one of the few that will make it a registered sear host. The cost with can was less than 4G so even if you bought a new donor you would be under 7G. Recoil from an SD is nothing. If you happen to go this route and choose Mike, tell him I sent you.

https://i.imgur.com/ESgidmc.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTXfR2WLJ8o
View Quote

Was the video from a class or just mag dumps for a video?
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By mah827:

Was the video from a class or just mag dumps for a video?
View Quote

HKPRO MP5 user course in Michigan last month. Second time I’ve done it, once with my son and once with my son-in-law. Both times the firearms I lent them for the course I ended up giving to them as part of the memory.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I can’t speak to the B&T guns, but the Mp5sd is easily my favorite gun. I paid 4000 out the door for the gun plus 600 for the full size B&T silencer. It’s one of the few grail guns out there that truly lives up to the hype.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Outrider: Roller delayed > direct blowback
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Outrider: Roller delayed > direct blowback
This.

Originally Posted By chargerdude70: Both times the firearms I lent them for the course I ended up giving to them as part of the memory.
Dad, is that you?!?
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 8:20:39 PM EDT
[#10]
NOTHING compares to the SD. You just have to decide if the price to play is worth it.

Suppressed AR9 is fun and can be done well for $2-3k, including can. Advantage here is depending on how you set up lower, you can use it for other things, i.e. 5.56. This is the direction I went in. Makes a great trainer, is fun, quiet, but you bet your ass I don't think it is the same as an SD.
APC9, etc, with can, might run you ~$4k (with stock, SBR, etc).
MP5SD is going to run ~$7K+, and you are hoping that the work is done well, barrel is good, etc. I've shot thousands and thousands of rounds through actual factory SDs. When I get a real job with a real salary one day, I'll buy one. They are incredible and I hope that HK releases more factory options. Or maybe, fingers crossed, we see some Turkish ones start trickling in.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By chargerdude70:

https://i.imgur.com/ESgidmc.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTXfR2WLJ8o
View Quote

What suppressor brand is that? I have a sear in a 4 pos pack and recently started to look at having SD host built but not sure what route to go.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 11:16:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AKDoc:

What suppressor brand is that? I have a sear in a 4 pos pack and recently started to look at having SD host built but not sure what route to go.
View Quote

Michaels Machine makes his own suppressor to HK specs. It’s none servicable and mostly all aluminum. Very light compared to my Ralph Sr’s can, to the tune of almost 1lb. But it’s also shorter and smaller in diameter.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 12:15:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rochelieux] [#13]
The only answer is mp5sd.

Find a dealer for ronin arms. Starting to see mp5sd in stock on shelves. Usually a two stamp gun. Good news is stamps are movin QUICK.

No association with them what so ever. Im a bit of a purist myself and would like to convert an sp5. But the overall fit and finish seemed to be extremely high quality.
If I recall gun, can and b&t ump stock roughly 7k otd.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got an SPC9 PDW SD, SP5, and AP5-P.   The SPC9 PDW SD has a ported barrel underneath the can ala the MP5SD so all 9mm ammo stays subsonic.  I love that damn thing.  Im not sure its quite as quiet as my AP5P when suppressed with subs but its close enough I cant tell much difference as both are hearing safe.  And I dont see enough difference in recoil between roller delayed and assisted blowback to make it a decisive factor.  Being able to run any 9mm ammo and stay subsonic is a big MF'ing win both in terms of price and convenience.

Link Posted: 6/10/2024 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't have my MP5SD yet (it's with Dakota Tactical), but I have shot one before. I also own a B&T GHM9SD and KH9SD. While both are cool in their own rights, nothing compares to the butter smoothness of an MP5 style firearm.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:51:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sidpost] [#16]
Originally Posted By WVUSIG:

Do you mean SP5/SP5K-PDW or an actual MP5SD? If MP5SD and money is no issue, get the MP5SD.
View Quote

I'm considering a MP-5SD SBR build from either a receiver flat or possibly an SP-5.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Do the B&T units have a less ridiculous cleaning schedule?
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By CKxx:
Do the B&T units have a less ridiculous cleaning schedule?
View Quote

With the same or similar ports on the barrel, I suspect they have the same ~500 round cleaning schedule.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a few of the SD guns including a full size TPM MP5, an HK Ralph jr SP5k SD gun, a full size APC9 Pro SD and an APC9k SD, and I will give you my option of each.  Out of the gate I should say that I have a transferable sear and so the the MP 5 pattern guns are always going to get the nod from me because of the ability to add the fun switch.  If I were to pick only one it’d be the SP5k SD with the compact B&T suppressor.  It’s light and compact but still stupid quiet and easy to control even in FA.  Next up would be the TPM.  Once again my MP5 bias shows.  It comes in second because quite frankly a full size MP5 gun is kinda bulky for a PCC.  It shoot great and is a crown pleaser at the range its just not as nice as the SP5K version.  Next up would be the APC9k SD.  This is a slick little gun that is super compact with he modular suppressor.  It’s not as nice as the MP5 platform but it is a cool little gun and the suppressor in the short mode doesn’t even extend past the hand guard.  Finally we turn to the APC9 Pro SD.  It’s last on my list, not because I don’t like it, its just because I like the others better.  It’s nice and quiet with a serviceable trigger.  The APC platform is definitely more modular than the MP5 but your never going to get the fun switch.  YMMV.
Top Top