Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 7/11/2024 10:11:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sendit14]
I picked up an automatic in Europe 30+ years ago which does not operate. I depress the blade release button and nothing happens.

With the caveat I know nothing about knife construction, I believe the parts include:
1. Blade (single piece of formed metal)
2. Spring (single piece of formed metal)
3. Lock (pin which perpendically locks / releases the blade)
4. Button (attached to pin to actuate the lock)

I think I need someone to disassemble the entire tool, form a new spring, then reassemble? How do I troubleshoot / confirm this? What else?
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By sendit14:
I picked up an automatic in Europe 30+ years ago which does not operate. I depress the blade release button and nothing happens.

With the caveat I know nothing about knife construction, I believe the parts include:

I think I need someone to disassemble the entire tool, form a new spring, then reassemble? How do I troubleshoot / confirm this? What else?
View Quote

Can you open the blade manually while the release/button is depressed? If so, you've probably got a broken kicker spring.

Do you feel any spring pressure on the blade in the closed position?

Knowing what type of knife this is makes it lots easier to diagnose ..... Stiletto ? OTF ? etc ......

Bill Deshivs is the go to for repairing older automatics

https://billdeshivs.com/bd/

Link Posted: 7/11/2024 2:53:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sendit14] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Villafuego:

Can you open the blade manually while the release/button is depressed? If so, you've probably got a broken kicker spring.

Knowing what type of knife this is makes it lots easier to diagnose ..... Stiletto ? OTF ? etc ......

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Villafuego:
Originally Posted By sendit14:

Can you open the blade manually while the release/button is depressed?
- Yes

- Minimal

Knowing what type of knife this is makes it lots easier to diagnose ..... Stiletto ? OTF ? etc .....
- see pics below
- also, I just found this (https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-rostfrei-lever-lock-knife-459985816) which is the same item sans handle material

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Thanks for the referral to Bill.

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top