Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2024 4:42:51 PM EDT
Well, the guys I hang out with like to have a little competition every now and then.   This year at deer camp.   It's a 10/22 build and shoot competition.  50 yard shots.   We all have to start with the same Receiver.  

Well, I would like to keep my build under a grand.  But looking around.   May spend a little more than that.

It was suggested that I shop around the Kidd Website.   I've never built a gun from scratch before.   I think that my money should be mostly in the trigger, barrel, and scope.  But you only live once!  So why not spend a little more on a quality build.  

O wise ones.  Lead the way for me.   I would like a threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Start with a bare receiver
Here are a few
https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?IncludeSellers=243304

Get the rest of the parts from your preferred vendor.
Kidd, Volquartsen, Fedderson, TandemKross etc

I have a few Kidd barrels, they all shoot well.
The Boyds SS Evolution is a decent stock
The Enoch/Volquartsen Deep Six chassis looks nice.

Link Posted: 8/1/2024 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Haven't been on there in awhile but this is what you seek for information
...Rimfire Central
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#4]
10/22 headspace on the bolt. A minimum headspace bolt helps accuracy. A pinned FP helps with reliable ignition and accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 7:20:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: QtrHorse] [#5]
10/22’s are a blast!

At 50yds, the biggest factor will be ammo.  You will need to buy some good ammo to group well at 50yds. 10/22’s are also very picky when it comes to ammo.  You and I could build the exact same rifle using the same parts and one would like Eley match ammo and the other might like SKS match ammo.

Have y’all decided on a receiver?  

Brownells currently has  a couple 15% coupons that I think end today.  You could get the items below from them and be in good shape with the 15% off and free shipping.  I listed a couple options for multiple items, all are good options but the more expensive are the better options and that holds true for this scenario.  Not much difference in the bolts, all three are good.  You will notice a difference in the three stocks I listed, I have all three and others.  

Faxon makes a good 10/22 bolt but do not get their receiver or barrels.  Both will be a loose fit which is not good for a 10/22.

Brownells BRN-22 railed receiver in natural finish - $120 - has a good thermal fit with Kidd or Fedderson barrels.
Brownells BRN-22 bolt - $100, Faxon bolt - $115 or Kidd bolt - $141
Victor Titan Stock - $189
Magpul Hunter x-22 stock - $120
Hogue rubberized stock - $76.50
Fedderson 16.25 threaded bull barrel - $170 - did not realize Brownells sold Fedderson barrels.
All the items above would have a 15% discount if bought with either of the two 15% off codes available currently.

You could go crazy and spend $250-$360 on a VQ or Kidd trigger but a $80-$100 Ruger BX trigger is a good trigger, much better than a standard factory 10/22 trigger.

Head over to SAPoutfitters and get the items below.  Use code RFC for 5% off.

Ruger BX trigger - $70-$100 depending on what is in stock
OEM receiver pins - $6
Tuffer Buffer - $5

A Kidd charging handle would be nice but a VQ or Tandemkross also work well.

Head over to FJfedderson for a barrel.

16.25in threaded bull barrel - $170

Arken Optics is having a good sale on their scopes currently.  This are popular amongst the rimfire people.  I
Do not have one currently but they get good reviews from the rimfire folks.  They range from $300-450 on sale.  For rimfire, I would get something like the EPL-4 in a 4-16 or 6-24 for $300-$330.  Whatever scope you get, make sure it has an adjustable Parallax because most rimfire distances will be short.  I prefer to get something that goes down to 10-15yds.  A low cost Vortex Crossfire with adjustable parallax will also work.

I currently own every item listed above except for the scope.  I have 10/22’s that range from $300-$1400 before optics and rings.

Link Posted: 8/1/2024 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Tacsol vr reciever dual spring is so smooth and  left side charging handle
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I recently did a rebuild of a bone stock 10/22 for a suppressor I was waiting to get approved.
https://1022racerifle.com/shaw-barrels-16-5-blued-te-bull-920-barrel-ruger-10-22-tcr22/
It's out of stock at that site but I can shoot dime sized groups at 50 yards after I followed the break in procedure, it made a huge difference from the first few shots
until the barrel was broke in.
I've heard good things about Green Mountain barrels also.
Just got the magpul stock, a lighter recoil spring (for suppressed use), a rubber/neoprene bumper, a kidd charging handle, and a mag release lever.
I absolutely love that gun now!
Ebay has a lot of kidd parts with free shipping if you have an ebay account.

Link Posted: 8/1/2024 10:06:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BabaYaga22] [#8]
Magpul stock, Kidd bolt, Kidd Barrel, Kidd Trigger, silencer, and a quality scope and you will be good to go.

That being said I get EXCELLENT groups out of my sporter barrel (OEM tapered barrel with iron sights). Here are some pics of the rifle and 50/100 yards groups.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The rifle now wears a Kidd 2 Stage Trigger, the Ruger BX trigger is “meh”. The Kidd trigger is the BEST trigger in the world.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 8:07:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Awesome.  Thanks for the replies.   This is going to be a fun build!
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 8:08:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EldonHoke] [#10]
We did get railed receivers from Brownells I believe.  I'd have to look to see what I brought home.

What I have is a BRN 22r receiver.
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Next question.  Volquartsen or Kidd Barrel?
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EldonHoke:
View Quote

Kidd
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Kidd if you’re going to actually use high quality .22 ammo.  If going to shoot bulk or CCI, get a Green Mountain.  Green Mountain currently has a 25% off sale the entire month of August.  They are out of lots of barrels but have a handful in stock.  Green Mountain barrels are great barrels and popular amongst the rimfire crowd.

Fedderson is also another good option that compares to the Kidd.
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 10:01:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IndyGrendel63] [#14]
Originally Posted By QtrHorse:

Kidd if you’re going to actually use high quality .22 ammo.  If going to shoot bulk or CCI, get a Green Mountain.  Green Mountain currently has a 25% off sale the entire month of August.  They are out of lots of barrels but have a handful in stock.  Green Mountain barrels are great barrels and popular amongst the rimfire crowd.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By QtrHorse:

I built a 10/22 a few years ago, started with a 10/22 Ive had since 1984. The trigger was worked over by brimstone gunsmithing, 2 pound pull is sweet!  I put it in a magpul stock and for a barrel I went with a light weight whistle pig barrel. It was fun before, but now it gets used every time I go to the range

Acculite link

Brimstone link

Edit to add links
Link Posted: 8/9/2024 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm an AR22 guy through and through but my brother gave me a Brownells receiver and challenged me to a build off.  I found a Volquartsen trigger on the classifieds, a CST Power Custom Bolt and charging handle, a Volquartsen 16" lightweight tension barrel (w/thrds) and a Victor Titan stock.  An Arken 4 - 16 scope sits atop.  I was shooting it side by side with my Keystone Accuracy build and they both shot great.  I'd be hard pressed to say one was better than the other.

I've seen a couple things that interest me since I put mine together.  I like the idea of a dual guide rod bolt or even having it centered.  I can't say it would be better but it's a good idea.  I also like the Kidd Supergrade receivers and barrels.  There's a longer engagement where the barrel mounts in the receiver.  I've always thought this was too short for heavier barrels in standard receivers.  The barrel can't truly be free-floated.  It needs to be supported up front doesn't it?
Link Posted: 8/9/2024 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I went with the 20 inch bull barrel from Kidd.  Plus, pretty much everything else from them.  Got a boyds thumbhole stock.  

Now.  The next question...Scope?   I know that the sky is the limit.   We are doing 50 yard targets.
Link Posted: 8/9/2024 4:56:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BabaYaga22] [#17]
I went with the 20 inch bull barrel from Kidd.  Plus, pretty much everything else from them.  Got a boyds thumbhole stock.  

Now.  The next question...Scope?   I know that the sky is the limit.   We are doing 50 yard targets.
View Quote

I have a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x Rimfire. It’s a great 50 yard scope. That being said the Vortex Diamondback HP from MidwayUSA is 4-16x AND has adjustable parallax. That is another solid choice that gives you flexibility to go beyond 50.

Both scope can be had for $200
Link Posted: 8/9/2024 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By BabaYaga22:

I have a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x Rimfire. It’s a great 50 yard scope. That being said the Vortex Diamondback HP from MidwayUSA is 4-16x AND has adjustable parallax. That is another solid choice that gives you flexibility to go beyond 50.

View Quote

Cool.  The guys were suggesting athlon.   I have a Leupold .22 rimfire scope on a CZ rifle that I am really happy with.   Way too many options out there!
Link Posted: 8/9/2024 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Cool.  The guys were suggesting athlon.   I have a Leupold .22 rimfire scope on a CZ rifle that I am really happy with.   Way too many options out there!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BabaYaga22:

I have no hands on experience with Athlon BUT I’ve heard good things!
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I went with the Leupold  VX-Freedom 2-7x33 Rimfire MOA
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I went with the Leupold  VX-Freedom 2-7x33 Rimfire MOA
View Quote

Those are great little scopes. The 3-9 vx-freedom rimfire has been outstanding for me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I guess that for our friendly competition we're loosely following ARA rules.  50 yard shots.  

The guys think that my Leupold may not be enough.  

I've been looking on line.  And I have a spare  tasco custom shop 8-40x56 laying around.  Once the rifle is together.  I am going to see how that works out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top