Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2024 6:55:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burncycle]
I'm 5'7, about 170, and wanted to invest in a set of armor that will stop the common stuff (M193/M855, AK) but primarily I'm interested in a setup that's slick and as concealable as possible.

For that reason I'm gravitating towards the swimmer type cuts, but the problem is I'm getting conflicting information regarding the M210 sizing.

One source says the small swimmer cut is 9.01x11, one source says it is 9.14x11.13, and one source says it is 8x10.

My nipple to nipple is just shy of 9", and my chest is 37", and one guide recommended the small swimmer.  If the plate is actually 9x11 then that seems like a good size, but I feel like if the plate is actually 8x10 it may be too small, and there is no "medium" option in that cut, just small and large. So I'm a bit torn.  I emailed Hesco but haven't gotten any response.

Does anyone actually have the small M210 swimmer plate that can measure?  Is the 8x10 just a KISS way to say "it will fit in a carrier sized for 8x10 plates" but it's really more like 9x11?   The SAPI small seems like it would be fine coverage wise, but I'm concerned about mobility and concealability compared to the swimmer.

Finally, I'm still relatively new to this and am reading some older threads, but is there any low profile carriers that are generally well regarded with regards to not obviously printing velcro/buttons through the shoulder and belly area?

Link Posted: 7/21/2024 10:53:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Plenty of low profile stuff.  Look at skdtac, blue force gear, velocity systems, mayflower, agilite
They should have carriers with minimal plastic clips and stuff.

Sizes are usually slightly inexact,  some plated extend the full size, some have padding  on the border.

Small is usually around 8x10, medium  10x12 and large 11x13.  Roughly. If that's wrong someone will correct me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 11:38:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PistoleroJesse] [#2]
TREX had a good Hesco 3810 SAPI Medium (Left) Hesco L210 10x12 Shooter (Right) pic. You can count pixes from there if you need to get an idea.

ETA I have M210 L-swimmer and S-Sapi, but won't have time to measure until later in the week.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Hesco originally made the M210 swimmer cut plates to be similar to the SOCOM swimmer plate sizing.

They released a statement months ago (I cannot seem to find it now) that they were standardizing their sizing.

The sizing on Hesco's site should be the most updated.

If I were you, I'd go with the Swimmer cut Large (10x12) or SAPI Medium. You'd be fine with a little extra coverage which won't hinder your mobility compared to the small sizing.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Are there any other threads discussing what types of armor guys are using or recommending? I’m looking for some lightweight level 3/3+. Not sure where to start. The M210 look decent as far as specs go.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 6:06:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lueds24:
Are there any other threads discussing what types of armor guys are using or recommending? I'm looking for some lightweight level 3/3+. Not sure where to start. The M210 look decent as far as specs go.
View Quote
The M210 is an SRT plate and is not a III/III+ as it's not rated for .308/M80 ball. In consideration for stopping .308

Level III+
Highcom 3S9M
RMA 1092 G2
Stealth Armor Systems HEXAR (B4C or Alumina)
Militech RF2
Hesco 3810
Spartan Armor Systems Hercules Lite
Adept Thunder RF (no M855A1)
Tactical Scorpion Gear III+ Xtreme (foam edge)
Dayton Armor RF2
AR500 A3 (No M855A1, and Single curve)
Chinese Import Tile array

Link Posted: 8/4/2024 9:50:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Buffman_LT1:
The M210 is an SRT plate and is not a III/III+ as it's not rated for .308/M80 ball. In consideration for stopping .308

Level III+
Highcom 3S9M
RMA 1092 G2
Militech RF2
Hesco 3810
Dayton Armor RF2

View Quote

Thanks for the recommendations. I’m assuming you have the YouTube channel with the same user name. I’ve been watching your videos on the plates. I was looking for the 3+ to cover all AR15 ammo since I’ll be mostly using these for range/training. I think it’s going to be a toss up between the M210, 3810 and the Militech RF2. I’m trying to find the sweet spot of cost/weight/protection.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm assuming you have the YouTube channel with the same user name. I've been watching your videos on the plates. I was looking for the 3+ to cover all AR15 ammo since I'll be mostly using these for range/training. I think it's going to be a toss up between the M210, 3810 and the Militech RF2. I'm trying to find the sweet spot of cost/weight/protection.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Buffman_LT1:

Level III+
Highcom 3S9M
RMA 1092 G2
Militech RF2
Hesco 3810
Dayton Armor RF2

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm assuming you have the YouTube channel with the same user name. I've been watching your videos on the plates. I was looking for the 3+ to cover all AR15 ammo since I'll be mostly using these for range/training. I think it's going to be a toss up between the M210, 3810 and the Militech RF2. I'm trying to find the sweet spot of cost/weight/protection.
Correct that's me :D The Highcom 3S9M is a very robust plate, but does tip the spending scale.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Thanks for the recommendations. I’m assuming you have the YouTube channel with the same user name. I’ve been watching your videos on the plates. I was looking for the 3+ to cover all AR15 ammo since I’ll be mostly using these for range/training. I think it’s going to be a toss up between the M210, 3810 and the Militech RF2. I’m trying to find the sweet spot of cost/weight/protection.
View Quote

@lueds24 I’ve got both m210 & the millitech rf2.  The m210 is NOTICEABLY thinner.  If you want less noticeable I’d go m210.  I rock mine in a trex carrier and for me the most noticeable part is the top of the rear plate.  Easy enough to conceal in a hoodie since the hood covers that part
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 12:33:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the large sapi plates in a ferro slickster. It is very concealable under a light jacket. Someone would have to be looking for it to see the top of the rear plate.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 7:37:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Burncycle] [#10]
Originally Posted By Aerospace_Money:
I have the large sapi plates in a ferro slickster. It is very concealable under a light jacket. Someone would have to be looking for it to see the top of the rear plate.
View Quote

Now if that jacket also gave Level II protection all around while still looking like regular clothing, you'd be all set for the inner city apocalypse  

Thanks for the info, I'm torn between the M210 and the ESRT from RMA, the ESRT is thinner and covers all the threats I'm concerned about for a low profile rig, but the M210 comes in swimmers cut which I prefer...
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 6:31:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Those Hesco M210's are a very good plates at a moderate cost compared to other solutions.  The 3810's would be nicer but, when I was in the market, they were easily over 3X the cost.
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 11:42:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Buffman_LT1] [#12]
Originally Posted By Burncycle:

Now if that jacket also gave Level II protection all around while still looking like regular clothing, you'd be all set for the inner city apocalypse  

Thanks for the info, I'm torn between the M210 and the ESRT from RMA, the ESRT is thinner and covers all the threats I'm concerned about for a low profile rig, but the M210 comes in swimmers cut which I prefer...
View Quote
I did some R&D for RMA on the ESRT. I've been asking them for months for a pair, but the R&D model stopped 8.6 BLK tungsten core (subsonic) as well as a 250gr SBS 8.6 BLK. A Level III+ costing $1200 didn't stop the same 2 rounds :O
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 10:55:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DD1801] [#13]
Hesco M210
SW-MC-L (I think this is the swimmer cut)
9 15/16” x 12 1/8”

SA-MC-M (I think this is the sapi)
9 1/4” x 12 1/4”

Edit - @Burncycle
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 1:42:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank you!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top