Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2023 2:46:22 PM EDT
Does anyone have additional information or an opinion on the new Thermal and Night Vision optics Holosun announced at Shot 2023?

They look VERY interesting to me!

https://www.outdoorlife.com/gear/holosun-drs-review/

Sportsman's Guide at SHOT Show 2023 - Holosun Incredible NEW Night Vision and Thermal Sights!

Holosun is Making Night Vision and Thermal Sights!

Link Posted: 1/22/2023 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was told probably next year on the thermal sight.
View Quote

You can sign me up for a pre order list! Might not be a Breach type quality but sure will be cool.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#3]
F the CCP
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I looked at it for a couple minutes at the show.  Seems like a nicely put together optic. It was a little tough to see a whole lot of definition, not sure if that was due to the indoor lighting or if it was the "standard " definition model. I was pretty impressed with it overall. Especially if the price point is close to 1k for the standard def.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
F the CCP
View Quote

As you post from your phone, cpu or car. All using ccp boards.

Instead give your money to a American company who charges X2 the amount who also gets their boards from the ccp. Gotcha.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm no fan of China either.

But until an AMERICAN company offers something with similar capabilities and a similar price point...

Because I'm not made of money.  

Another video from Shot 2023:

SHOT SHOW 2023 | INSANE New Holosun Thermal Optic
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
F the CCP
View Quote

This is a technical forum, not the GD.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:05:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll be picking up some of these for sure. I can't drop $5000+ on every NV/thermal type optic, just not gonna happen. I have some, but it's a lot of money to tie up. I trust Holosun to work and at this price point I can afford to get a few extra units to equip others.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:13:57 AM EDT
[#9]
If I smoke a CCP Paratrooper with a Holosun I can actually afford/attain - without sacrificing in other gear areas -  I call it a win

These look cool. Who made the similar device that's been out? SIG or Steiner... Echo something.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If I smoke a CCP Paratrooper with a Holosun I can actually afford/attain - without sacrificing in other gear areas -  I call it a win

These look cool. Who made the similar device that's been out? SIG or Steiner... Echo something.
View Quote

Sig had/has one, but I don't think it has/had digital zoom.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If I'm detecting with thermal, it's either a helmet mounted COTI or full-on unit or using a handheld that I stop and bring up from ime to time. When it's time to shoot it's either I2 passively with an RDS or laser or maybe an I2 or thermal scope or clip-on.

I don't see myself keeping the rile up 100% and scanning with it and I don't think 1x would be my choice for engaging with a thermal if I can avoid it. I guess you could put a magnifier behind it, just like an RDS.
View Quote

The use case discussion is definitely worth talking through.

I don't think this is a replacement for your helmet-mounted thermal, or your handheld thermal. If you are doing a scan/search, you do not want to be pointing your rifle at everything, just like you wouldn't want to do that with a pistol/rifle with white light. What I was thinking of using it on was my "daytime/white-light" rifle. If I needed to shoot at something that I had spotted, but was hard to see due to use of concealment, turning on thermal would potentially give me an extra edge in that regard. Also, if taking fire and couldn't see immediately the source, I'd probably be OK with doing a search using a fusion thermal sight in the general direction it was coming from.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't think this is a replacement for your helmet-mounted thermal, or your handheld thermal. If you are doing a scan/search, you do not want to be pointing your rifle at everything, just like you wouldn't want to do that with a pistol/rifle with white light. What I was thinking of using it on was my "daytime/white-light" rifle. If I needed to shoot at something that I had spotted, but was hard to see due to use of concealment, turning on thermal would potentially give me an extra edge in that regard. Also, if taking fire and couldn't see immediately the source, I'd probably be OK with doing a search using a fusion thermal sight in the general direction it was coming from.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I'm detecting with thermal, it's either a helmet mounted COTI or full-on unit or using a handheld that I stop and bring up from ime to time. When it's time to shoot it's either I2 passively with an RDS or laser or maybe an I2 or thermal scope or clip-on.

I don't see myself keeping the rile up 100% and scanning with it and I don't think 1x would be my choice for engaging with a thermal if I can avoid it. I guess you could put a magnifier behind it, just like an RDS.

Yup, I went back and edited my post after watching the video a couple times.

With digital zoom being available I can see more of a use case compared to a fixed 1x thermal "red-dot". Will be interesting to see how the daytime/nighttime mash-up works.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#13]
From what I understand the Thermal's usable range is extremely limited.  

So, I'm going to see some unbias reviews before I get really excited about it.

Do we know if the Thermal can be shut off and it can be used as just a red dot?  

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 12:37:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought all three were day/night capable, but he didn't spend much time diving into each model, so I may be misunderstanding.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:46:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Implementation is always a wildcard.

Digital NV could be cool if 1) it's a true overlay and 2) they spend actual time on the software to make a usable HUD. If they were smart, they'd open-source the firmware and let people build more interesting features (outline mode?). If it's just a digital NV scope at 1x, that's a little less impressive for $1000.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

It seems, so far, like it would be ideal to top a supressed .22 pistol or carbine to shoot rats in the barn or vermin in the chicken coop.
But I will need to see some reviews (hopefully Sage Dynamics) before I go placing orders.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 7:08:10 AM EDT
[#17]
All I can say is that it will be a cold day in Hell before I buy any garbage tier optics from a company with ties to the CCP

The sig thermals were trash tier also just a retread of the old torrey pines units ...
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone knownif the thermal would work with a magnifier?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top