Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 31
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's mine. Have to gear it down a little. New pulley is on order.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p270/sands143/2013-03-09_15-52-23_271_zpsd7972a53.jpg
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 12:02:54 AM EDT
[#2]
got the dual drum tumbler all done here are some pics.

Link Posted: 3/14/2013 4:11:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Aside from the fact that you're turning out some really nice quality:

Don't try to tell me that they're close enough center-to-center but you haven't tried to put a 3rd drum on top.

Link Posted: 3/14/2013 7:28:27 AM EDT
[#4]

this is some pics of my tumbler project.the blue drum and yellow frame I bought on ebay the other ones are what I am making

my small drum holds 1000-308 and 2000-223 cases the bigger 10" one holds 2000-308 and 4000-223,I should have them all going early

next week I will try a video then
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#5]
that is kind of funny i didn't try it but i did think of it for  a second before i ruled it out  

Originally Posted By kaos:

Originally Posted By BIGGDAWG:
got the dual drum tumbler all done here are some pics.

<a href="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/BIGGDAWG800/IMG_5098_zpsc183495f.jpg" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/BIGGDAWG800/IMG_5098_zpsc183495f.jpg</a>

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/BIGGDAWG800/IMG_5102_zpsdd704fc6.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/BIGGDAWG800/bluedoubleframetop_zps31263056.jpg
Aside from the fact that you're turning out some really nice quality:
Don't try to tell me that they're close enough center-to-center but you haven't tried to put a 3rd drum on top.

Link Posted: 3/14/2013 10:20:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice!
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Has anybody used stainless steel shot that is the same diameter as it is long?
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 12:14:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By beakerello:

I know someone that is using some round stainless shot it is just under .25 inch and he likes it but he is doing 50 bmg and other larger  than 30 caliber rifle calibers.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I know this design is best with the wet SS media but has anyone tryed tumbing dry with walnut and if so is rotary dry tumbling better then the vribrating tumblers?
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By Logicgear:

I know this design is best with the wet SS media but has anyone tryed tumbing dry with walnut and if so is rotary dry tumbling better then the vribrating tumblers?
I have several wet drums and several dry drums.

I run a batch in the dry walnut to clean the general grunge off of brass before I cycle it trough my case feeder into the decapper.

It keeps my equipment a little cleaner.  I don't worry about range-crud jamming up my XL650, or contaminating my lube/grease, and that's important to me.

After decapping I put it through a normal wet wash.

Yes, dry tumbling is useful, and easier than vibrating, and less dusty.  My rotary is a lot quieter than the vibrator too, and doesn't move around like the vib does.

An hour in the rotary equals 3 in the vib, and I don't have to dry them before I can process them through my machine.  Since I add a glugg of mineral spirits to keep the dust down - my walnut will be used to tumble multiple tens of thousands of cases well after it's useful to you guys a a polishing agent.

tl:dr = Yes it works, but they're not interchangeable for results.

And dry tumbling in clean media to get the case lube off is very useful, too.

Link Posted: 3/14/2013 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FL_Tactical:

What motor did you end up using for this? Looks great.

i used a 1/3 hp motor on this one but my 1/4 hp one ran it fine.

Link Posted: 3/14/2013 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#13]

I know someone that is using some round stainless shot it is just under .25 inch and he likes it but he is doing 50 bmg and other larger  than 30 caliber rifle calibers.

Thanks, BIGGDAWG, I'm just trying to source my pins locally and am having little to no luck.

Another question, if my "wet canister" is will it hurt to use walnut media in it to remove the lube from the cases after sizing?

Could I tumble the loaded cases dry, (with cob type media) without something bad happening? I'd be tumbling pistol calibers, 270, 30-06, 5.56, etc. I  don't think it would matter.

Link Posted: 3/14/2013 3:18:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Thanks, BIGGDAWG, I'm just trying to source my pins locally and am having little to no luck.

Another question, if my "wet canister" is will it hurt to use walnut media in it to remove the lube from the cases after sizing?

Could I tumble the loaded cases dry, (with cob type media) without something bad happening? I'd be tumbling pistol calibers, 270, 30-06, 5.56, etc. I  don't think it would matter.

The only problems are from:

1.) Your wet canister ought be dry before you throw walnut in.  It just clumps and gets annoying when damp, and until it drys wont separate from your brass easily.

2.) The walnut powder actually embeds into the plastic cylinder somewhat while tumbling in ways that it doesn't occur using a vibratory unit.  It makes wet washing messier later.

3.) Each type of media manages to wedge itself between the cylinder and mixing vanes.  A small amount is there to mix with the other media if you swap media in the same cylinder.  It's just annoying.

All 3 problems are no deal breakers, but they'd make me somewhat piqued if I had to deal with them repeatedly.

Link Posted: 3/14/2013 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By kaos:

The only problems are from:
1.) Your wet canister ought be dry before you throw walnut in.  It just clumps and gets annoying when damp, and until it drys wont separate from your brass easily.
2.) The walnut powder actually embeds into the plastic cylinder somewhat while tumbling in ways that it doesn't occur using a vibratory unit.  It makes wet washing messier later.
3.) Each type of media manages to wedge itself between the cylinder and mixing vanes.  A small amount is there to mix with the other media if you swap media in the same cylinder.  It's just annoying.

All 3 problems are no deal breakers, but they'd make me somewhat piqued if I had to deal with them repeatedly.

Yea- I learned the hard way about not getting all the walnut media out before you add water.  I thought I had it all, but when I poured out the wet batch I got a nasty surprise.  What a PITA.

You're better off with 2 drums IMO.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I intend on trying a dry mix also just havnt got around to it
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#17]
my whole point to building mine was to get away from the dry, with the dust crap. I wouldn't run dry in my tumbler. it may work but as has been said i would have 2 separate drums one for dry and one for wet.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#18]
have you tried ceramic big dawg
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By phil3333:

nope no ceramic, i have ran the normal .041x.255 pin that everyone uses, I have also ran the xxl pin pellets sells it is .063x.5 -- didn't like it at all didn't clean as good or fast on the smaller cases

and i now am running a new size i have been testing for Pellets and i love it .047x.255 with these i have had zero pins stuck in the flash holes and i am at over 100lbs of brass tumbled with it.

they are now my suggested pin size.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 12:42:09 AM EDT
[#20]

nope no ceramic, i have ran the normal .041x.255 pin that everyone uses, I have also ran the xxl pin pellets sells it is .063x.5 -- didn't like it at all didn't clean as good or fast on the smaller cases

and i now am running a new size i have been testing for Pellets and i love it .047x.255 with these i have had zero pins stuck in the flash holes and i am at over 100lbs of brass tumbled with it.

Great.

Something else to buy.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Link Posted: 3/15/2013 1:21:40 AM EDT
[#21]

The pins they sent me are .062 x .25.  They have been working great and I have not had a single one get stuck.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 2:17:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks BIGDAWG, now i gotta build another!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 6:51:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Working on a tumbler also. Uses an old 1725 RPM Westinghouse 1/2 HP Resilent Mount motor (not really sure where it came from). A couple pieces of  80/20 extruded aluminum. I used corner connectors, but I could have used end fastners too. 1/2" Hardened rod with heat shrink tubing on them (the kind with the adhesive inside). Picked up some timing pulleys, 20T on motor, 40T on drive shaft, tied the 2 shafts together with 20T pullyes. The drum is Sch 40 6" DWV PVC Pipe, the paddles are SCH 40 1/4 cut 1-1/2" PVC Pipe. The flat head screws are to hold the paddles in place while the PVC cement sets, however, I may reverse them and have them NOT go through the outer tube.. Not sure yet. The end caps are Twist-Tite 6" mechanical test plugs. They're about $19 each, but they are infinitely reusable and cuts down on all the gluing and such.http://s885.beta.photobucket.com/user/rattletrap1970/media/ASSYTUMBLER_zps74d24b57.jpg.html#/user/rattletrap1970/media/ASSYTUMBLER_zps74d24b57.jpg.html?&_suid=136334469450909263250520591701
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 6:52:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rattletrap1970] [#24]
Working on a tumbler also. Uses an old 1725 RPM Westinghouse 1/2 HP Resilent Mount motor (not really sure where it came from). A couple pieces of  80/20 extruded aluminum. I used corner connectors, but I could have used end fastners too. 1/2" Hardened rod with heat shrink tubing on them (the kind with the adhesive inside). Picked up some timing pulleys, 20T on motor, 40T on drive shaft, tied the 2 shafts together with 20T pullyes. The drum is Sch 40 6" DWV PVC Pipe, the paddles are SCH 40 1/4 cut 1-1/2" PVC Pipe. The flat head screws are to hold the paddles in place while the PVC cement sets, however, I may reverse them and have them NOT go through the outer tube.. Not sure yet. The end caps are Twist-Tite 6" mechanical test plugs. They're about $19 each, but they are infinitely reusable and cuts down on all the gluing and such.

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac51/rattletrap1970/ASSYTUMBLER_zps74d24b57.jpg
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 9:08:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: usmc0331tamu00] [#25]
Originally Posted By rattletrap1970:
Working on a tumbler also. Uses an old 1725 RPM Westinghouse 1/2 HP Resilent Mount motor (not really sure where it came from). A couple pieces of  80/20 extruded aluminum. I used corner connectors, but I could have used end fastners too. 1/2" Hardened rod with heat shrink tubing on them (the kind with the adhesive inside). Picked up some timing pulleys, 20T on motor, 40T on drive shaft, tied the 2 shafts together with 20T pullyes. The drum is Sch 40 6" DWV PVC Pipe, the paddles are SCH 40 1/4 cut 1-1/2" PVC Pipe. The flat head screws are to hold the paddles in place while the PVC cement sets, however, I may reverse them and have them NOT go through the outer tube.. Not sure yet. The end caps are Twist-Tite 6" mechanical test plugs. They're about $19 each, but they are infinitely reusable and cuts down on all the gluing and such.

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac51/rattletrap1970/ASSYTUMBLER_zps74d24b57.jpg

Freakin' over achiever.

I drew mine in AutoCAD.  Nothing that fancy.  What software did you use?

Good move on linking the two drive shafts.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#26]
I drew that on Solidworks.
Once it's all built and tested I will put and exploded view and parts list and drawings on here.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#27]
I drew that on Solidworks.
Once it's all built and tested I will put and exploded view and parts list and drawings on here.

I would recommend some sort of rubber material for the agitators as it makes a big difference on how loud it is.  I've compared mine to one built by a local small time re-manufacturer.  He keeps his outside because of the noise.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#28]
BIGGDAWK, you mentioned Pellets LLC, I read earlier that they weren't selling to Mom and Pop Sixpack anymore. Are they selling to the Average Joe? How much are the pellets? Is there a minimum purchase? I'm trying to source locally but everybody only seems to be able to get shot, and I want pellets.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#29]
BIGGDAWK, you mentioned Pellets LLC, I read earlier that they weren't selling to Mom and Pop Sixpack anymore. Are they selling to the Average Joe? How much are the pellets? Is there a minimum purchase? I'm trying to source locally but everybody only seems to be able to get shot, and I want pellets.

Minimum order is 25lbs if you order direct from them
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#30]
What is the current pricing? Do you know? Yeah, I could just call them and ask, but this is ARFCOM
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 11:50:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#31]
Here is what I ended up with.  I drew up these frames and had them cut out of 1/4" plate.  They are light and sturdy.
<removed the hints about selling these> See next edit. dryflash3

I wanted one that had a timer and switch, although that feature and extra plate could be removed from the design.

Link Posted: 3/15/2013 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#32]
just a lttle fyi for uou guys, you dont need agitators in your drum they are a waste of time
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By usmc0331tamu00:

Freakin' over achiever.

Just curious. What benefit would linking the 2 shafts have?
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#34]
2 wheel drive. I wanted to eliminate any potential friction (or lack thereof) issues. Which is another reason for shrink tubing on the rollers. I used 4:1 ahesive lined tubing, by the time it shrinks it has a good thickness to it and it very "grippy". The nice thing about building it on extruded aluminum is you can very easily adjust the distance between the rollers for different diameter drums and get just the right hold. Belts are only 4 bucks or so a pice so you can afford to get a few different sizes. If you dispense with the "2 wheel drive" you don't need to worry about that at all.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By FL_Tactical:
Originally Posted By usmc0331tamu00:

Freakin' over achiever.

Just curious. What benefit would linking the 2 shafts have?

Some people, including myself, had issues with the drum skipping and bouncing around.  My 8" drum wouldn't stay on the rollers with a light load.  With both rollers driven, the drum will spin smoothly even empty.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 10:41:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#36]

<post removed>

SPECIFIC TO SALES

1. Companies or individuals cannot advertise or sell products and or services in the forums (including siglines and titles) without prior approval from the site owners. Industry Partners are allowed to post sales or specials on a limited basis

2. Companies or individuals interested in selling or trading equipment should resort to the Equipment Exchange. At no time should an item be listed in any discussion forum. This includes links to auctions.

3. Fraudulent practices or attempts to defraud another person or group will be dealt with very seriously.

4. NO GROUP BUYS OR FUNDRAISERS WITHOUT EXPRESS PERMISSION. Please IM Striker for more information.

Situations which have not been covered in this code of conduct may arise and will be handled by moderators and staff who have been carefully chosen to treat such issues with fairness. The frequency of such situations will guide the staff to make changes to this code of conduct as necessary.

Read up on the COC above. dryflash3

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, almost done.. Just waiting on the shrink tubing and I have to bore the pullies to 1/2". Also have to run a reamer through the pillow block bearings, just a bit too tight to assemble. Tumbling drums are done. I'm thinking of having a 1" wide x 1/2 thick PVC ring made to go around the tumbling drum. One at either end, this will allow me to stick 1/2" thick adhesive backed acoustic mat between the rings. This should cut the noise significantly, also it will concentrate the weight of the drum on the two rings and improve the traction of the drive shafts.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, almost done.. Just waiting on the shrink tubing and I have to bore the pullies to 1/2". Also have to run a reamer through the pillow block bearings, just a bit too tight to assemble. Tumbling drums are done. I'm thinking of having a 1" wide x 1/2 thick PVC ring made to go around the tumbling drum. One at either end, this will allow me to stick 1/2" thick adhesive backed acoustic mat between the rings. This should cut the noise significantly, also it will concentrate the weight of the drum on the two rings and improve the traction of the drive shafts.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:09:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rattletrap1970] [#39]
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:39:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Anyone buying motors on ebay?  Daytons (have no idea when it comes to brands of electric motors) are up for a song, less than $40 shipped.... Trying to learn the basics here and not sure what I should be looking for as far as motors go.

Then a friend had to suggest used washers, dryers, etc for $20 on craigslist... Of course then I have a giant appliance to dispose of (tannerite?)

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:16:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By tucansam:
Anyone buying motors on ebay?  Daytons (have no idea when it comes to brands of electric motors) are up for a song, less than $40 shipped.... Trying to learn the basics here and not sure what I should be looking for as far as motors go.

Then a friend had to suggest used washers, dryers, etc for $20 on craigslist... Of course then I have a giant appliance to dispose of (tannerite?)

Same question here, I'm trying to figure out a good source for a motor...anyone have something?

Will a treadmill motor be too powerful?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#42]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32ZjVNk83jA

Very interesting.  Might work for small batches.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#43]
pretty much any motor you can find will work, several guys are usuing treadmill motors. the motor size is dependent on the size of tumbler you are building.

the thumler uses a 1/20th or so hp motor mine uses a 1/4 but i can run 90lbs on my tumbler total.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By ShootersElement:

Same question here, I'm trying to figure out a good source for a motor...anyone have something?

Will a treadmill motor be too powerful?

Highly recommend the treadmill but I am biased.
Treadmill information

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:46:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Guys,

http://tucson.craigslist.org/tls/3576346798.html

Would something like this work (left cold because I don't know if there is any policy against posting someone else's CL ad -- mods, I'm trying to get info, not pimp this guy's products)

I'm a motor dummy... Would it be easy to remove the blower and salvage the motor and shaft?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#46]
I would think those could be made to work.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:37:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 9:12:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:

Guys,

Would something like this work (left cold because I don't know if there is any policy against posting someone else's CL ad -- mods, I'm trying to get info, not pimp this guy's products)

I'm a motor dummy... Would it be easy to remove the blower and salvage the motor and shaft?

As long as link is not to your ad, it's fine.

The 3450 RPM is not what I would buy.

]You want a 1750 RPM motor. But HP on those motors are fine.

[/div]

This.  You can use a 3450 RPM motor, but you will need twice as much reduction in your pulleys.  HP is really not an issue because you are gearing it down so much.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#49]
On my way to a spot I can shoot at close, I noticed some trash someone dumped on the side of the road.

I damn near locked the brakes up when I saw a piece of PVC with it.

Anyhow, it was a 11' piece of 8" sch 40, something I have not been able to find locally.

I've been using a piece of 6", now I can go the bigger stuff
Will order the caps and ends Mon,, I didn't even get to fire a round on a beautiful day today.
And, no, not for sale.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#50]
an old 1725 RPM Westinghouse 1/2 HP Resilent Mount motor

Be careful around long haired pets and two legged varmints.  That thing could snatch you bald.

None of these devices I see will pass OSHA muster for exposed rotating shafting.
Page / 31
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top