Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2024 4:42:34 PM EDT
How much point of impact change do you guys see?

Cold bore, first shot suppressed?

This is 10 rounds of CCI SV at 25 meters.

Can you guess which is the first shot?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/25/2024 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Was that just from a cold bore, or was the barrel cleaned just prior to shooting the first round?  

How does it do without the suppressor?
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Good questions.

Barrel has not been cleaned recently.

Don't think I had removed the suppressor for cleaning recently either but can't rule that out.

The posted target above was from a couple weeks ago and I didn't think about it too much at the time, but it bothered me enough to take a photo when it happened. Didn't have an explanation for it and wrote it off.

I was shooting more this past weekend and it happened 2 more times but not as bad as the one pictured.

Thought I'd ask for some input here about anyone else's experience.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#3]
That seems drastic.
Hopefully someone can comment on this that will figure it out.
Waiting for my 22lr suppressor to get approved and will have a similar set up.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 7:07:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Topper1] [#4]
Attachment Attached File

I had 2 targets like this this weekend. One in the morning and one in the afternoon. When the afternoon one happened it started clicking that all 3 targets might be related to a cold bore and suppressor.

Edit:300 yd target should be shots 5-6-7

I can accept the responsibility of pulling shots. When it happened the third time I started looking for something else.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't say I've ever had a cold bore shot THAT far off! This is with or without a suppressor..

I don't  have an answer but where I'd start is removing the suppressor and see if you have a cold bore shift, unless you already know this only happenes with the suppressor attached...

If the cold bore is consistently high left with or without the suppressor then maybe try some different ammo. Another poster mentioned cleaning..assuming it's not a squeaky clean bore that just needed some fouling have a look at the chamber throat for a carbon ring if you have a bore scope. If the carbon ring is bad enough it can cause all sort of wierd accuracy issues.

And not to be a smart ass but are you sure its not a cold shooter? Even at 25yds I've snatched a trigger a time or ten so badly that I thought something was wrong when it was just ME

Link Posted: 6/25/2024 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Hopefully I can get out this weekend and start eliminating some things.

What order would you guys start the process?

I'll mention I have a second identical suppressor that has never been fired and another TC 22 with factory iron sights that can be used for comparisons.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 7:51:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#7]
Less than the diameter of the bullet...

... so long as the bore was uncleaned and it was not a new type of ammunition.

Switching between greasy and dry lubed rounds is especially bad the first round.

That much shift at 25y can only be shooter or optic/mount related.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 4:14:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a couple 22's with some pretty wicked cold bore shift. Don't laugh, but take a straw to the range and blow down the bore a couple times, then chamber and fire. See if the shift is reduced or eliminated. Seriously. Probably won't make a lot of difference if the air temp outside is 98.6 but I've seen it make a difference at 50 degrees.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Had a couple rimfire out this weekend in preparation for Shooting at Camp Perry National Matches next weekend.

Here is the coldbore shot from the same offending rifle and suppressor combination.

5 rounds fired pictured below.

These were not the first rounds fired in the session but the first ones fired from this rifle.

I have not tried any remedies to this point but I will be able to focus on it soon. Seems too crazy to be true but there it is again.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 1:17:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: captain127] [#10]
Does it do the same thing without the can?

One of my “precision” 22 rigs is a box stock savage MK2 I use in NRL22 and silhouette matches. Not as drastic, but at 50 yards my first cold bore shot is 1 inch off at ten o clock then settles back down.

As mentioned if gun has shot mixed brand ammo, that can contribute. Also if gun shot brand a then switched to brand b it will also do so.

When doing ammo testing with 22’s the accepted method is to essentially waste 10-20 rounds when switching brands before settling into groups, as the change in lube and bullet characteristics take some shots before the rifle settles down

Cleaning the can may help.

Also if you do a thorough bore clean, it will take some shooting before groups settle again

I agree it is pretty drastic at just 25. Also try it off a bench with no sling tension to eliminate that variable.

Also based on your photos it is not consistent. The one I discussed above is so consistent if I had to shoot a match cold ( which I did yesterday) I can compensate for the known issue pretty easily.

To summarize things I would do:
Try without can and with from a benchrest.
Do so after cleaning can
Clean chamber throughly of barrel but don’t clean the bore
When you can is apart for cleaning look for any baffle strikes or other signs of misalignment
Start with your go to CCI standard, then change to another ammo, waste 20 rounds, then try groups again
( I am sure you know this, but other than CCI don’t even bother with any other domestic brands - go to SK lapua eley rws something like that)
Let us know what you find
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't seen that bad,  But sometimes the first shot from a magazine will be off with a semi auto, something about the bolt not seating the same when manually cycled vs the violence of the semi auto cycle.

How many rounds through the gun and when was the last time recoil springs were changed?
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 2:04:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By captain127:
Does it do the same thing without the can?

One of my “precision” 22 rigs is a box stock savage MK2 I use in NRL22 and silhouette matches. Not as drastic, but at 50 yards my first cold bore shot is 1 inch off at ten o clock then settles back down.

As mentioned if gun has shot mixed brand ammo, that can contribute. Also if gun shot brand a then switched to brand b it will also do so.

When doing ammo testing with 22’s the accepted method is to essentially waste 10-20 rounds when switching brands before settling into groups, as the change in lube and bullet characteristics take some shots before the rifle settles down

Cleaning the can may help.

Also if you do a thorough bore clean, it will take some shooting before groups settle again

I agree it is pretty drastic at just 25. Also try it off a bench with no sling tension to eliminate that variable.

Also based on your photos it is not consistent. The one I discussed above is so consistent if I had to shoot a match cold ( which I did yesterday) I can compensate for the known issue pretty easily.

To summarize things I would do:
Try without can and with from a benchrest.
Do so after cleaning can
Clean chamber throughly of barrel but don’t clean the bore
When you can is apart for cleaning look for any baffle strikes or other signs of misalignment
Start with your go to CCI standard, then change to another ammo, waste 20 rounds, then try groups again
( I am sure you know this, but other than CCI don’t even bother with any other domestic brands - go to SK lapua eley rws something like that)
Let us know what you find
View Quote

I appreciate the time you have put into this post. I'm hoping to shoot this rifle a bit this afternoon and will document the cold bore/can again.

The can will come off after that until after the Perry Shoot.

A couple answers I can provide:
Ammo is 99% CCI SV. An occasional magazine of minimags if some black birds need attention and that's all that is available when the need arises.

There probably has been a baffle strike at some point. I had it apart a month or so ago and one of the baffles felt like it had a sharp edge or maybe snagged the cleaning wipe. I don't know where that baffle was in the stack and haven't taken it apart again. I will look further into this. If there has been a strike it could have happened on another firearm.

Question: When I start sorting this out, what would the wait time be for a cold bore/can? 5 minutes 1 hour 24 hours?

This is kind of an aggravating situation. Depending what I want to shoot dumping a round in the ground or in the berm won't be an option.

Also, this problem seems to have "developed", I don't remember missing one off shots at birds last year. Maybe I just forgot the ones that flew away. LoL
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 2:11:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Topper1] [#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VaFish:
I haven't seen that bad,  But sometimes the first shot from a magazine will be off with a semi auto, something about the bolt not seating the same when manually cycled vs the violence of the semi auto cycle.

How many rounds through the gun and when was the last time recoil springs were changed?
View Quote

I agree to not seeing anything that far off.

I don't keep a round count, maybe I should. This was purchased new when they were released and had a $50-$75 rebate.

For sure it has a few thousand rounds but I couldn't say if it was 2000 or 6000. I really don't know.

I don't do much hard core cleaning. Bore snake with some solvent and pull the trigger and wipe out the receiver is about it.

Edit: it's been a while since it's has a snake through the bore too
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Today's cold bore, just confirming for my own sanity.

I'm done with it for now. Will get back to this issue later on but happy to hear from anyone with more ideas.

Thanks

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#15]
What brand of suppressor? Is the front cap reasonably concentric if checked with a straight, tight in the bore gauge rod held vertically?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top