Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks like good progress to me. I sincerely wish you good luck with the project.

Scott
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 5:10:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Type7SOT] [#2]
I finally got around to building a top cover latch prototype. I have to say, this latch is awesome!!!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

That cross bar is 3/16 diameter alloy steel which I believe is sufficient strength for the application.

It closes with a very satisfying click, and there is NO play between the top cover and receiver. It opens with just the right amount of force that gives you confidence that it's secure, while not being too difficult.

It uses a standard ar15 mag release button and spring, and only requires one custom made part.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 5:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep up the good work, dude
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Good news and bad news today, I struck out on two more vendors for the bolt carrier. However, the shop that is doing the upper receiver and top cover says they can also do the bolt carrier! I was hoping to split the work load across more vendors, but I'll take what I can get.

Also, I found a vendor that agreed to do the firing pin and promised me a "good price," although I'm still waiting for the quote.

Now the biggest hurdle is the bolt itself. I'm hoping to find someone who already makes bolts to supply me a bolt with NO cam pin hole. That would be the quickest way to the finish line.

I will reiterate, I am seeing this through no matter what it takes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the update.

I am interested in how this is going to work without a cam pin hole. Or are you wanting to drill your own custom hole?
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:
Thanks for the update.

I am interested in how this is going to work without a cam pin hole. Or are you wanting to drill your own custom hole?
View Quote

The bolt in my design is identical to an AR15 except that the cam pin hole is rotated 22.5 degrees. So yeah, the idea is to pull one off the line before the cam pin hole is drilled, and then drill it myself.

By the way, I tried as hard as I could to make this work with a standard bolt, but it just created too many other issues. It is what it is.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Feed trays are here!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Type7SOT:

The bolt in my design is identical to an AR15 except that the cam pin hole is rotated 22.5 degrees. So yeah, the idea is to pull one off the line before the cam pin hole is drilled, and then drill it myself.

By the way, I tried as hard as I could to make this work with a standard bolt, but it just created too many other issues. It is what it is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:  Thanks for the update.

OP, have you reached out to Mark Serbu?  He might be able to source you an undrilled bolt.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 4:44:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Type7SOT] [#9]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

OP, have you reached out to Mark Serbu?  He might be able to source you an undrilled bolt.
View Quote

I have not, but I will. Thanks.

Also:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 6:06:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Who are you using for the metal 3D printing?
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By sgthatred:
Who are you using for the metal 3D printing?
View Quote

I'm opting not to disclose my venders at this point, but I will say there are several large metal 3D printing businesses, if you just google "metal 3D printing" there are a ton of websites where you can upload files and get instant quotes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#12]
That's it! Where do I send in my money?  
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 10:14:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By aod886:
That's it! Where do I send in my money?  
View Quote

I don't have anything to sell yet, nor permission to sell anythere here, but just keep following the thread
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#14]

I'm opting not to disclose my venders at this point, but I will say there are several large metal 3D printing businesses, if you just google "metal 3D printing" there are a ton of websites where you can upload files and get instant quotes.
View Quote
I've been having problems with getting the companies to do firearm parts.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 12:38:18 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Type7SOT:  I'm opting not to disclose my venders at this point, but I will say there are several large metal 3D printing businesses, if you just google "metal 3D printing" there are a ton of websites where you can upload files and get instant quotes.

ITAR.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 9:23:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Wow. The amount of progress this project has made in such a short time is truly astounding. Sure, it helps to have other belt feds and an existing platform to draw upon, but there are people who design less complicated mechanical systems on YouTube channels as a full time job that can't even touch the development that is going on in this thread. I am here for it, and absolutely intend to support however I can, including parts kits, should they become available.

That being said, have you looked at all at the prototype Ciener belt fed AR's? There is a good TFB article that talks about some of the challenges they were trying to design around, as well as some of their solutions. Might be able to draw on some more inspiration or outside-the-box ideas should issues pop up during prototyping.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:06:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Type7SOT] [#17]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

ITAR.
View Quote

There are 3D printing services that are ITAR registered. Many of them, in fact.

Also not all firearms parts are ITAR controlled, some are regulated by EAR99 now.

But I am not a lawyer.

Originally Posted By ABabyEater:
Wow. The amount of progress this project has made in such a short time is truly astounding. Sure, it helps to have other belt feds and an existing platform to draw upon, but there are people who design less complicated mechanical systems on YouTube channels as a full time job that can't even touch the development that is going on in this thread. I am here for it, and absolutely intend to support however I can, including parts kits, should they become available.

That being said, have you looked at all at the prototype Ciener belt fed AR's? There is a good TFB article that talks about some of the challenges they were trying to design around, as well as some of their solutions. Might be able to draw on some more inspiration or outside-the-box ideas should issues pop up during prototyping.
View Quote

Thanks! I have looked at the Ceiner/Colt design which was picked up by Valkyrie Arms and then Slidefire. There are a few reasons I don't like it:

-It requires modifying the lower receiver. This is the biggest deal breaker.
- I cant find any plans, and there arent very many pictures online. So I'd have to buy one to reverse engineer it. In which case, I'm not doing anything new and exciting. The design aspect is what keeps this fun.
-I dislike the lack of a top cover. Besides for the practical issues of having no top cover, there is just the cool factor of a belt fed with a top cover that I like.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 8:40:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: canon3825] [#18]
Have you considered Centurian Arms? There is a video from The School of the American Rifle https://youtu.be/Hah8bDSJA_8?si=ep_9b5EYo2OJd1AT that mentions a small company doing bolt carriers. They QC inspect some of their bolt carriers and they seem of very good quality.Just a thought.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#19]
As soon as this project gets to market, immediately start on a 308 version

Link Posted: 9/10/2024 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By canon3825:
Have you considered Centurian Arms? There is a video from The School of the American Rifle https://youtu.be/Hah8bDSJA_8?si=ep_9b5EYo2OJd1AT that mentions a small company doing bolt carriers. They QC inspect some of their bolt carriers and they seem of very good quality.Just a thought.

Scott
View Quote

Thanks for the suggestion!

Originally Posted By Elcunning:

As soon as this project gets to market, immediately start on a 308 version

View Quote

Yes, this is part of the plan.

By the way, I will have some good updates this week. Stay tuned.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Very cool!
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:23:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Type7SOT] [#22]
Well the good news is I found a major firearms part manufacturer who is willing to make the bolts in reasonable quantities, but they want a lot of money up front for a sample run. I'm trying to negotiate a better price
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top