Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2024 2:30:24 AM EDT
I am looking to pick up a generic 'full size' soft body armor panel, at least IIIA level.  I will run it in a backpack hydration bladder pocket or in a messenger bag.  A hard panel won't work, and rifle threats are unlikely where I would use it.  Plus, I don't want something overly thick (cheap) or overly heavy (cheap).  This panel also needs to work in real life so, it needs to be somewhat flexible and compliant so it doesn't break a laptop or drive something from a backpack into my body.

I have looked at Aglite and RMADefense.  I am sure there are others.  While I like cheap, I don't know what more expensive soft body armor plates would give me in terms of 'better' compared to a common ~$130 soft plate.

So, what are my better soft plate options, at what price, and what does it have over other similar plate options?

TIA,
Sid
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 5:06:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:05:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Premier has soft armor made for the back of many backpacks. I have had one in my edc work bag for ~3 years now maybe? Flown with it and no problems.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Blowout:
Cheap....

https://botach.com/armor-plates/
View Quote
Are they reasonable quality or are they cheap crap?
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 10:27:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sidpost] [#4]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
Premier has soft armor made for the back of many backpacks. I have had one in my edc work bag for ~3 years now maybe? Flown with it and no problems.
View Quote

https://premierbodyarmor.com/collections/universal-fit-level-iiia-insert

Looks pretty high quality at a moderate cost!
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 10:38:24 AM EDT
[#5]
https://agilitegear.com/products/amap-iii-level-iiia-soft-armor-insert

Looks like this one is made by Premier and is sold by Agilite to match one of their backpacks and their satchel.  And it appears to slightly cheaper as well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Midwest Armor  has some offerings.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 12:02:25 AM EDT
[#7]
OmniProtex has some CPL listed IIIA panels of various cuts and sizes
https://omniprotex.com/collections/backpack/products/opx-elite-backpack-armor-iiia-nij-06
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Note there's no real standard for cuts on soft armor. There's a wide variety, mostly proprietary, to fit various applications. Some places do sell flat panels and SAPI "cut" panels as well. That can make it difficult to give recommendations as it depends upon what you're putting it into and what dimensions it takes. It might be some weird shape that only they make armor for.

Also it's critical to get something that's been NIJ certified. The margin for failure on soft armor is so much smaller than it is on hard armor. Don't trust yourself to the Chinese or Venezuelan made crap.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Buffman_LT1:
OmniProtex has some CPL listed IIIA panels of various cuts and sizes
https://omniprotex.com/collections/backpack/products/opx-elite-backpack-armor-iiia-nij-06
View Quote
That soft armor looks really good!  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Hayashi_Killian:
Also it's critical to get something that's been NIJ certified. The margin for failure on soft armor is so much smaller than it is on hard armor. Don't trust yourself to the Chinese or Venezuelan made crap.
View Quote
That's a big part of the reason I am here!  Ads and Google searches take you to questionable products.  I would rather spend $200 on something that will work from a reputable source than to get a great deal on a $40 panel from some third-world country making ballistic panels out of recycled trash and various lawn clippings!

Then there are the companies and personalities that have outsourced their ballistic panels to the third-world and do a great job marketing SNAKE OIL at premium prices too!

I learned a long time ago that spending more money sometimes gets you an inferior product.  Often the best product is not the most expensive or most widely distributed product.  Talking to people that really know what they are talking about is always best.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 1:08:31 PM EDT
[#11]
There are also semi rigid polyethylene panels that are rated a bit higher than 3a and can stop 5.7 and such. Depending on the bag and use it may be nice to have something slightly rigid.
Botach base some that are cheap enough to try and see if you like the concept. I’m sure other places make something similar too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By hodgescl:
There are also semi rigid polyethylene panels that are rated a bit higher than 3a and can stop 5.7 and such.
View Quote

IIIA will readily stop 5.7x28. The only kind of 5.7x28 that will defeat IIIA is the SS190 armor piercing round which is going to be exceptionally rare to find, even in .gov hands. The only way regular FMJ ammunition will defeat IIIA will be if it's fired out of a rifle-length (>=16") barrel and thus gaining enough extra velocity to defeat it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Hayashi_Killian:

IIIA will readily stop 5.7x28. The only kind of 5.7x28 that will defeat IIIA is the SS190 armor piercing round which is going to be exceptionally rare to find, even in .gov hands. The only way regular FMJ ammunition will defeat IIIA will be if it's fired out of a rifle-length (>=16") barrel and thus gaining enough extra velocity to defeat it.
View Quote
That's not necessarily true. Depending on the IIIA construction, higher velocity lead rounds will defeat aramid IIIA. Copper pointed solids available in 5.7 will also defeat many types of PE IIIA panels from the pistol.. SS190 in the US is not rare to find at all. You can buy it all day long on GB! for $4-5/rd and sometimes the bullet for less.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By sidpost:
... I will run it in a backpack hydration bladder pocket or in a messenger bag.  A hard panel won't work, and rifle threats are unlikely where I would use it.  Plus, I don't want something overly thick (cheap) or overly heavy (cheap).  This panel also needs to work in real life so, it needs to be somewhat flexible and compliant so it doesn't break a laptop or drive something from a backpack into my body...
View Quote
I don't see this question asked nor answered. If I may, what are the dimensions of the compartment where you will put a soft armor panel?

Knowing that might really help to know what off-the-shelf choices might already exist to solve your query?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top