Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2024 6:10:47 PM EDT
I called the NFA number today to check on a submitted Form 1. The lady told me it's listed as Delayed and explained that that means the FBI is currently running my background. Is that right? Is that good or bad?
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#1]
It's the same as if you bought a non-NFA firearm at an FFL and the background NICS check came back delayed, has that ever happened to you before?

In the case of NFA stuff, it means you'll probably have a longer wait time than others, as they sort of get back burnered and there's no requirement for the FBI to clear them in a certain timeframe.

Link Posted: 6/24/2024 8:01:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bballman25] [#2]
If you consider having to wait longer being bad, then yeah, it’s bad. It doesn’t mean a denial though. I think if you have anything on your record, it will get delayed. If you have someone with the same name or close to it and you didn’t provide your SS#, it can get delayed. I’ve read people here posting that with completely clean records, they have gotten delayed for some reason. No one really knows why some get delayed and some go through quick.

Mine are always delayed due a couple things on my record from 1979 (ugh), but wind up getting approved eventually.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 243savage:
I called the NFA number today to check on a submitted Form 1. The lady told me it's listed as Delayed and explained that that means the FBI is currently running my background. Is that right? Is that good or bad?
View Quote

"Delayed pending the results of the FBI background check"?

Thats normal.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 10:18:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

"Delayed pending the results of the FBI background check"

View Quote

That's how the lady phrased it.

I have a UPIN because of how long it would take to do a NICS check on a Title 1 firearm.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 11:51:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Been delayed twice on my last 2 handgun purchases both were about 45 min and i got the call i can come get m new gun.

Before that never had a delay with 7 purchases but thos were ca where theres a 10 day wait and in az purchased 3 guns from ffl and no delays but finally got on the last 2 like said.Guy said its very common right now
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:03:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#6]
Originally Posted By ar15robert:
Been delayed twice on my last 2 handgun purchases both were about 45 min and i got the call i can come get m new gun.

Before that never had a delay with 7 purchases but thos were ca where theres a 10 day wait and in az purchased 3 guns from ffl and no delays but finally got on the last 2 like said.Guy said its very common right now
View Quote

What the OP is experiencing is not the same as yours.
Title I guns, your dealer runs NICS and FBI NICS will give him either a proceed/delayed/denied response.
With NFA firearms, ATF runs the FBI NICS check and does not give the result of the check to anyone. If it a "proceed", they approve the Form, if "denied" ATF denies the Form. If it is not an immediate proceed, FBI NICS will wait until additional research on that transferee is complete before proceed or denial. If not resolved in a certain number of days status goes to "unable to resolve FBI background check" and the Form is denied for that reason.

OP isn't in an FBI delay, his ATF processing status is "Delayed pending the results of the FBI background check". That could mean ATF hasn't initiated the actual NICS check or has submitted and is awaiting results.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I get delayed every mother fucking time. Once a month. Sometimes they approve before I've left, and sometimes it takes the full three days. There's no reason why.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By jos51700:
I get delayed every mother fucking time. Once a month. Sometimes they approve before I've left, and sometimes it takes the full three days. There's no reason why.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top