Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2024 7:57:43 PM EDT
Sorry 100% guys. I know this question is debatable. But from what i have been reading about the pistols with braces were always a SBR in the minds of the ATF. They offer free amnisty justlike they did with the street sweepers way back when. So one argument is that the original manufacturer makings are fine. Thats who made the SBR. No need to engrave it.

Once the aproved form is in hand build it out and treat it as any othe SBR. But no need to engrave it since the manufacturer is the maker.

Is this correct? Everything above is a question not a statement of fact. I also admit that i havent really followed all the developing legal desisions about pistol braces over the last few months.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Correct,
It doesn't need to be engraved.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 8:01:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Callahan] [#2]
Form 1 is to “Manufacture/Make” I would assume you’d need to mark it. Versus transferring on a form 4
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 8:03:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#3]
So two things.

First, in general the "no need to mark it" is incorrect. You are the maker, not the manufacturer. They made it as a Title I. You made it a title II when you submitted the Form 1. You can recycle the serial number (most of us do) but you need to out your trust name, etc on it... For an SBR If it is configured as such.

And that's the rub. It's not technically an SBR right now. It's registered, sure, but it is in Title I config right now as the brace ruling was overturned. So no need to technically mark it right now as it is not subject to NFA with a brace.

Hope that makes sense.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#4]
As long as you applied during the forbearance period and were approved, no engraving necessary. Just throw a stock on.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Stowe:
As long as you applied during the forbearance period and were approved, no engraving necessary. Just throw a stock on.
View Quote

This, the barf even said so...
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 8:57:54 PM EDT
[#6]
No debate.  In most cases, when you make an SBR on a form 1; regardless if it was a rifle, pistol, braced pistol or whatever before you registered it, yes you need to engrave.

The exception to that was when the ATF did the tax-free amnesty registration of braced pistols last year.  If and only if you summitted a form 1 on a braced pistol tax-free during that period, then they said you didn't have to engrave.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
No debate.  In most cases, when you make an SBR on a form 1; regardless if it was a rifle, pistol, braced pistol or whatever before you registered it, yes you need to engrave.

The exception to that was when the ATF did the tax-free amnesty registration of braced pistols last year.  If and only if you summitted a form 1 on a braced pistol tax-free during that period, then they said you didn't have to engrave.
View Quote

Yes it was submitted during the tax free amnesty and aproved. It is still in a non NFA configuration. Just trying to get some clarification before it is configured into a NFA item. I dont mind engraving like i did on my othe SBRs. But it would be nice not to have to.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 9:33:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By D_Man:

View Quote

This was 100% my understanding when i giled and part of the reason i did it. But then i moved on and my mind grows foggy on things.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Part of the reason people did it. A Colt 9mm w/o engraving is cool, same with a mp5
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 10:38:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Curare] [#10]
My legal knowledge is derived from watching dozens of episodes of Law & Order. However...

Sort of hard to enforce SBR engraving when there are thousands of non engraved SBRs out there that the ATF is totally cool with.

I can't imagine a prosecutor convening a grand jury and bringing a case forward JUST for a form 1 approved SBR that doesn't have a name, city, state on it. Where is the case law where this has occurred??? If you were charged for that it would be in ADDITION to a slew of other actually serious charges.

Someone link a United States vs. Mr. The Only Thing I've Ever Done Wrong Is I Don't Engrave My Form 1 SBRs case. I've never seen it.

In my opinion, based on the number of firearms seized, Larry Vickers could have had at least one item not properly engraved. Did we see any charges for that in his case documents? Nope.

That said, Tarheel State Firearms has done great work for me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Curare:
I can't imagine a prosecutor convening a grand jury and bringing a case forward JUST for a form 1 approved SBR that doesn't have a name, city, state on it. Where is the case law where this has occurred??? If you were charged for that it would be in ADDITION to a slew of other actually serious charges.
View Quote

That is likely the case… but for some people, do you want to risk violating the NFA over a $40ish engraving? Very similar to speeding. You may do 5 to 10 over regularly… not get caught… but you are breaking the law and can be held to that if someone running radar gets bored.

It is easy to see which firearm needs to be engraved… if it’s a Form 1 without the brace rule notation, it should be engraved. With a Form 4, 4a would touch on the maker of the firearm… specifically who made it into an NFA firearm (most people don’t transfer Form 1 items, so it is usually manufacturer info, like on suppressors). Engraving info would be listed in 4h, if differs from 4a… which it really shouldn’t. If I were transferring one of the amnesty Form 1s, I’d probably put my info in 4a (I’m the “maker” on that Form 1), then a note in 4h that quoted the rule and say it kept the original manufacturer engravings… and list those.

Now, for many people… is ATF checking your paperwork and NFA items? Doubt it. Me, personally… I do use my SBRs, SBS and suppressors as truck guns, which could possibly be used at work or while off duty if there was a serious enough event occurring. That being said, I make sure mine have zero issues in the event that someone investigating a legal shooting does know/looks into the NFA rules.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Good Lord, not only did they make a mountain out of a molehill, they fucked up the address in the phone book and now Google maps gives you directions that drive you off a cliff into a flaming lake of liquefied hog diarrhea.

What a mess, all over something that didn't change a single statistic.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By jos51700:
Good Lord, not only did they make a mountain out of a molehill, they fucked up the address in the phone book and now Google maps gives you directions that drive you off a cliff into a flaming lake of liquefied hog diarrhea.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/12/2024 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By jos51700:

What a mess, all over something that didn't change a single statistic.
View Quote

Accurate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top