Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2024 3:09:50 PM EDT
Let's say you make a clone receiver of an M16A1 with all the original markings.  Would it be possible to enter these markings into your A&D and then form 2 the gun as a post sample?  I haven't been able to find any good info on the legality of this and would really appreciate some insight.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as you put your manufacturing markings on the receiver, I do not see why not.

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 3:15:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:
As long as you put your manufacturing markings on the receiver, I do not see why not.

View Quote

Alright, so the clone markings in the standard locations and then my company/city/state on the bottom (or wherever)?  How would you enter this into your books on the A&D?
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#3]
FPf/awesometown/Texas

Model - XM-177RoyBenevidezSpecial
Cal. 5.56 x 45mm
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By FleischPfeif:
Let's say you make a clone receiver of an M16A1 with all the original markings.  Would it be possible to enter these markings into your A&D and then form 2 the gun as a post sample?  I haven't been able to find any good info on the legality of this and would really appreciate some insight.
View Quote

If your clone receiver markings show "Colt" as the manufacturer......oh hell no. Colt didn't manufacture the firearm, you did.
As a 07 you have marking requirements and they are stated in § 479.102 Identification of firearms.

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:25:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FleischPfeif] [#5]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

If your clone receiver markings show "Colt" as the manufacturer......oh hell no. Colt didn't manufacture the firearm, you did.
As a 07 you have marking requirements and they are stated in § 479.102 Identification of firearms.

View Quote

This is the response I was expecting.  I had been speaking with another FFL (who was an SOT - more clarity is developing as to why) talking about how he made a clone receiver as a post sample.  I could not understand how he could have manufactured a clone rifle and then entered it into his books legally.  I'm guessing he entered it into his books as a title I firearm he received?  It just didn't make sense to me how that could be done so I figured I'd ask some others.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FleischPfeif:
.... I'm guessing he entered it into his books as a title I firearm he received?
View Quote

If he manufactured the clone from an existing Title I firearm, it would have the original manufacturers markings. Thats what he would enter in his records as the acquisition if he received it from someone else.  
If he manufactured that Title I firearm himself, he marks it with his info and reports it on AFMER each year. If it was manufactured as an NFA firearm, he also reports it on a Form 2.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:
If he manufactured that Title I firearm himself, he marks it with his info and reports it on AFMER each year. If it was manufactured as an NFA firearm, he also reports it on a Form 2.  
View Quote

Which is precisely why if he manufactured a clone rifle with colt's manufacturing information, it could not be entered into an A&D legally.  That's where I had the question.  Okay, thanks for breaking it down I think we're both on the same page.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top