Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2024 4:16:50 PM EDT
These that are around 14$ for a pack of 6.

Member Wsix asked me if i was familiar with those, i think i'll share my experience.

These were issued 2 each as part of the Ap98 body armor (1998/2008). See the large loops next to the ground protector? There are 4 more in the back to slide a web belt in and attach pouches.

As far as i can Remember almost no One used them as we had our LBE rigs. However i found a photo (guy on the left)

Back to the pouches they are of very simple construction, dual ply pack cloth material not unlike alice pouches closed by a single flap and a large and long strip of hook and loop. The fold in the center part of the loop Is another open top pocket meant to hold a SRCM type hand grenade (a small cleaning kit fits too). I don't Remember the manual, but i am pretty sure the pouch was meant to hold One Mag per compartment, however two metal ar15 magazines can be slid in easily. One 308 or One ak Mag per compartment fit too, the flap for the latter being short, but there Is still enough velcro strap to keep It somehow tight

Belt loops are slightly lower than other pouches where they are usually flush with the top of the mags

Pouch with 1 metal ar15 Mag per compartment

Two mags per compartment, check the flap. Back magazines have homemade tape and casing magpul, so flap May look slightly shorter.

Two mags per compartment plus a grenade

I use them for keeping magazines around, as they are low profile and light like a bandolier.

You can think of them as combloc belt ammo pouches that are still often seen in ukraine used by conscripts or separatists, being issued One each with 4 mags and a cleaning kit as part of the rifle package

Loaded with 4 magazines or maybe two, a First Aid kit in One compartment and a Little bit of cleaning kit in the grenades pocket these May be handy to Stash or as a Quick force multiplier for some civilian tasks. It May go against the whole world of tactical Gear but i think the latest, greatest and most expensive Gear Is not needed to fight or protect yourself, Just like you don't Need 1000$ of Nike clothing to go out for a Walk or going to the Gym.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 4:30:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragynn] [#1]
Originally Posted By joeviterbo:

You can think of them as combloc belt ammo pouches that are still often seen in ukraine used by conscripts or separatists, being issued One each with 4 mags and a cleaning kit as part of the rifle package
https://euromaidanpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/donbas-locals-force-conscripted-by-russia--e1651087787302.jpeg

Loaded with 4 magazines or maybe two, a First Aid kit in One compartment and a Little bit of cleaning kit in the grenades pocket these May be handy to Stash or as a Quick force multiplier for some civilian tasks. It May go against the whole world of tactical Gear but i think the latest, greatest and most expensive Gear Is not needed to fight or protect yourself, Just like you don't Need 1000$ of Nike clothing to go out for a Walk or going to the Gym.
View Quote

Nice, not surprised they are still in use. I bought a bunch of those combloc pouches when they were a buck or two each, they come in 3, 4, and 5 mag versions, most have just the belt loop, but some also have a shoulder strap which makes 'em super handy. Very sturdy pouches, I keep a couple with loaded mags hanging on hooks in the closet for grab-n-go.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I might have to pick a couple up. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

Nice, not surprised they are still in use. I bought a bunch of those combloc pouches when they were a buck or two each, they come in 3, 4, and 5 mag versions, most have just the belt loop, but some also have a shoulder strap which makes 'em super handy. Very sturdy pouches, I keep a couple with loaded mags hanging on hooks in the closet for grab-n-go.
View Quote

I still have a half dozen of the east german rain-camo quad mag pouches in the closet somewhere.  I bought a dozen of them back in the day for $4 each.  

Complete with 4 x new East German bakelite AK-74 magazines, AK-74 cleaning kit, oiler bottle, and stripper clip adapter.

I kick myself for not buying more of the sets.

And yea, they are super handy for using kinda like bandoleers, like you are using them as.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By joeviterbo:

View Quote

Absolutely agree.  

Sure, I like the latest cool guy chest rig, complete with all the other bells and whistles - that extra 1% of capability is worth it for me. Because I have the choice (and money).  'MURICA!

But alot of dudes are going to end up getting smoked by that bro running his $100 SKS he bought back in the day, running stripper clips out of his $10 SKS chicom chest rig if things ever got spicy.

I make expensive custom gear for people.  I have all the cool guy stuff.  But ain't nothing wrong with having one of these quad pouches or an old FLC vest setup or Chicom chest rig for each of your other rifles.  Most of us can't have $1,000 worth of LBE + packs + plate carriers for each rifle we own.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for your response on my question and this little write up, Joe. Those look like a damn good bargain.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 2:22:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wsix] [#6]
Ok, I received my order. They sent me seven instead of six. I let them know what happened and await their email.

These seem brand new except that some dummy spilled some hot cocoa or something on them.

4 stanag mags is super tight, two fit really well. The velcro is in good shape.. I do not have an AK to test these but I'm pretty certain they would work fine.

They are quality, 1980's minded pouches. They will work.

I purchased them as handouts and they are perfect for that.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 3:04:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By wsix:
Ok, I received my order. They sent me seven instead of six. I let them know what happened and await their email.

View Quote

SG is usually pretty cool about that and lets you keep their mistakes.

Link Posted: 6/30/2024 3:39:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:

SG is usually pretty cool about that and lets you keep their mistakes.

View Quote

I've never had an issue with their customer service after the sale. I find their lack of knowledge of the capability of their inventory to be terrible. If I'm selling a pouch, I'm telling you how many stanag 30s fit it.

I've been fiddling with the pouches. They are great for 10/22 mags. I have a ramline 50 rd from 1989, and a ramline 25 and everything in the middle. It works great for those.

The pocket in the middle seems like a great way to lose something. It's weird.

It was 42 bucks for 6 of them after shipping, but they sent 7, so $6 a piece.

Totally worth it. Great multipurpose/multiplatform pouch for almost nothing. Shipping was more than the nylon.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 5:22:25 AM EDT
[#9]

I've never had an issue with their customer service after the sale. I find their lack of knowledge of the capability of their inventory to be terrible. If I'm selling a pouch, I'm telling you how many stanag 30s fit it.

I've been fiddling with the pouches. They are great for 10/22 mags. I have a ramline 50 rd from 1989, and a ramline 25 and everything in the middle. It works great for those.

The pocket in the middle seems like a great way to lose something. It's weird.

It was 42 bucks for 6 of them after shipping, but they sent 7, so $6 a piece.

Totally worth it. Great multipurpose/multiplatform pouch for almost nothing. Shipping was more than the nylon.
View Quote

SG is such a big company that most of the customer service reps won't be big gun guys, and big enough that they won't just be able to run down the aisle of the little warehouse and grab a pouch and mags to check.

Pros and cons with ordering from big companies like that.

On a side note, another good deal there is the Dutch surplus rifle mag pouches.  You get 2 of them for something like $14.  They are fully enclosed, MOLLE attachment, and fit 3 x stanag mags.  Not the best, but good deal for the money.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah there is something to be said for the bandolier concept.  Especially for the prepared civilian.  It can be grabbed quickly and is fairly easy to work out of.  The G-WOT with it's emphasis on CQB has skewed many folks outlook on these things.  Ukraine is perhaps proving what is closer to the status quo for conventional soldiers in near peer conflicts.  

For what I understand, this 4-mag and doo-dad pouch was more common with Russian troops than chest rigs, which are normally associate with AK's, until they started taking them off dead Mujh.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks, Joe; some of these on the way plus some other surplus items.

A pet peeve of mine is that a lot of mfrs/vendors fail to show pix of the inside of the opened pouch, nor are reliable internal dimensions of pouches provided.

I'll need to have the Italian pouches linked above in hand to determine how to attach them to platforms for which they were not intended, such as MOLLE/PALS.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 5:14:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Upon further use of these I have discovered their weak point. The belt loops are simply not adequately sewn on.

I'm fairly certain I could just rip one off with my bare hands.
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 7:53:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Upon further use of these I have discovered their weak point. The belt loops are simply not adequately sewn on.

I'm fairly certain I could just rip one off with my bare hands.
View Quote
Yes, one of mine needed some simple hand-stitching repair, and another one had been repaired by a former owner--very poor stitchwork, but strong enough.

I am reluctant to "recommend" these pouches.
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By raf:
Yes, one of mine needed some simple hand-stitching repair, and another one had been repaired by a former owner--very poor stitchwork, but strong enough.

I am reluctant to "recommend" these pouches.
View Quote

It's fortunate that the belt loop is wide enough to allow adequate real estate for a repair and correction of the weak sewing.

I've already given away most of them to my under equipped friends. They beat a Crown Royal bag tied to your belt, unless there's still whiskey in the bag.
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#15]

It's fortunate that the belt loop is wide enough to allow adequate real estate for a repair and correction of the weak sewing.

I've already given away most of them to my under equipped friends. They beat a Crown Royal bag tied to your belt, unless there's still whiskey in the bag.
View Quote

My friends have been getting early prototypes and crappy experiments in addition to random gear I've collected over the years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top