Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2024 9:48:58 PM EDT
Alright, so I have a Howa mini action in .300 BO on the way.  The plan is to SBR it and drop it in a chassis. I have a Brownells/MDT on my 5.56 mini and it's great.  Anyone with a JTAC how do you like it?  Particularly the telescoping stock?  Pork Sword?  I figure the MDT is $429 for just the chassis.  The Pork Sword I can get complete with folder for $498.  Elf Owl is $742.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:01:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Alright, so I have a Howa mini action in .300 BO on the way.  The plan is to SBR it and drop it in a chassis. I have a Brownells/MDT on my 5.56 mini and it's great.  Anyone with a JTAC how do you like it?  Particularly the telescoping stock?  Pork Sword?  I figure the MDT is $429 for just the chassis.  The Pork Sword I can get complete with folder for $498.  Elf Owl is $742.  Thoughts?
View Quote
The Pork Sword is currently only for Rem700 short action footprint, so no go for Howa Mini, but I do like mine on my 8.6blk.  I had the factory MDT made folder on one of my Minis in 6arc, it was just ok, the LOP is too long with a fixed stock, and its way too long with a folder.  No experience with the Elf, but had I kept my second Mini I was going to try one.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Huh.  I could've sworn the Pork Sword was available for the Howa.  That sucks.  While I like the compactness of the Elf Owl stock, I'm not convinced how "usable" it is.  I'm also considering a Stocky's CF vertical grip "blem".  Although, I'm not sure on the viability of cutting down the forearm to fit a shortened barrel.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
While I like the compactness of the Elf Owl stock, I'm not convinced how "usable" it is.  
View Quote
Their TEL stock was on mine only a few minutes before I decided to swap it out and is now collecting dust.

Howa 6.5G and 22-250:

Link Posted: 7/3/2024 12:03:08 AM EDT
[#4]
This is my Mini 6arc in a Stocky's CF stock.  I had Carbon6 put a new barrel on it, and I inlet the stock myself.  I'd think you'd have no trouble cutting the forend down the little if needed.

Attachment Attached File

This is the Howa/MDT chassis.  If you use a short buffer tube and a very compact stock, you can get to a reasonable LOP, this ended up being prefect.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/3/2024 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, my .223 is in an LSS.

Since the next one is going to be SBR'd, I figure I'd try something "foldy".  Now, if I were to go with the Elf Owl and their pic adaptor or LSS with an A3 or KNS buffer to pic adapter with a short A3 7" offset folder would work?
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 10:43:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, my .223 is in an LSS.

https://i.imgur.com/Eutmuflh.jpg

Since the next one is going to be SBR'd, I figure I'd try something "foldy".  Now, if I were to go with the Elf Owl and their pic adaptor or LSS with an A3 or KNS buffer to pic adapter with a short A3 7" offset folder would work?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

This is with a LWRC UCIW receiver extension and the factory Howa hinge.  I trimmed a little off both ends of the extension, and maybe 1/8" off the back of the chassis, it all added up to perfect LOP.  The Howa hinge isn't amazing, but it's folded offset was the only reason the stock cleared the bolt knob while folded.

Link Posted: 7/4/2024 3:22:05 PM EDT
[#7]
i always liked the southern cross small arms tsp x folding chassis for a howa mini action
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 6:03:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trumpet] [#8]
Anyone use the Accurate-Mag one?  I believe it's what Howa used on the HCR.

AM
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By parshooter:
Their TEL stock was on mine only a few minutes before I decided to swap it out and is now collecting dust.

Howa 6.5G and 22-250:
https://www.imgur.com/ebAQ9do.jpeg

https://www.imgur.com/Gg7QZrW.jpeg
View Quote

Very Nice!  What length forearm did  you do with on the 6.5?
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By parshooter:

Howa 6.5G and 22-250:
https://www.imgur.com/ebAQ9do.jpeg

https://www.imgur.com/Gg7QZrW.jpeg
9.5" for the Grendel, the one pictured above with the thermal on it. That's measuring from the front of the chassis to the tip and doesn't include the tabs on either side with the screws through them.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Wich telescoping stock? The one that uses an AR stock on a buffer tube mount or the TEL 2.0 that has the two rods on each side?

I have the TEL on my 300 black out and I like it. I have my optic mounted low as possible with traditional rings vs a tall AR style cantilever mount.

If your wanting a more adjustable stock they are coming out with a side folder too.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 10:55:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trumpet] [#12]
Anyone use the Accurate-Mag one?  I believe it's what Howa used on the HCR.

AM
View Quote

Found a photo of the Accurate Mag chassis.  They used to sell them like this, but then they cheaped out and the one they currently sell as the EXCL Lite, is pretty much a polymer copy of the Accurate Mag one.  This is pretty much an HCR chassis, scaled down to fit the mini action.  If I went this route, I wouldn't use the behemoth Luth stock, but a folder.

Link Posted: 7/20/2024 11:04:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I like the Elf Owl I put together when Jtac stopped offering the 300blk. My goal was short and light, subsonics only.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By levi333:
I like the Elf Owl I put together when Jtac stopped offering the 300blk. My goal was short and light, subsonics only.
https://i.imgur.com/SDBmJSG.jpg
View Quote

That's freakin' sweet!
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Brownells has Howa 300 BLK barreled actions again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top