Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2024 1:35:38 AM EDT
Just won an auction for a nice Remington Model 11.  Suicide safety, nicely fit wood, no rust, no major pitting.  Screws are nice, nearly zero damage.  Just a hair under $500 shipped.

Plan is to SBS, obviously, and;
1.  Add a +1 870 magazine extension...haven't decided if I ever want to run a sling or not, so still debating which version to get. But it will be the ones from Scattergun Tech
1a  Barrel chopped to end of magazine tube extension.
2.  Art's Gun Shop rebuild it, if needed.  I'll tear it all down and inspect every single part.
3.  Wright Armory's NT7+ on most of the internal parts and the magazine tube.  This is the replacement performance coating for old Robar's NP3 (electroless nickel plating with Teflon infused).
4.  Might add MLOK panel inserts to the forend.  Maybe just the bottom (for a hand stop), but I'd like to maybe add a flashlight to the side.
5.  Might add the Browning Auto 5 two piece carrier for the "speed feed" function.
6.  Thinking about ghost ring sights.  I have a few interesting ideas.
7.  Mil Spec OD Green cerakote

I'm excited to get it and start the modifications and eForm1!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:57:16 AM EDT
[#1]
"Suicide safety" ???
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:01:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DasRonin:
"Suicide safety" ???
View Quote

Lol, yeah...that's what it's called. Safety slides forwards and back, instead of left to right cross bolt, and it's located inside the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:25:56 AM EDT
[#3]
About those eForms. I submitted a Form 1 on the 7th of April and exactly 14 days later, I had the approval.
I'm Form 1 poor and this was the fastest approval I've received. Made my day.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:35:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Namsag:
About those eForms. I submitted a Form 1 on the 7th of April and exactly 14 days later, I had the approval.
I'm Form 1 poor and this was the fastest approval I've received. Made my day.
View Quote

My last eForm1 was back in November (a CZ 452 Scout 22lr) took 22 days for a Trust.  The second I have the shotgun in my hand, the eForm will be submitted.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Do it.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:44:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AT-ST83] [#6]
Originally Posted By billth777:
Do it.

https://i.imgur.com/HLxxEDN.jpg
View Quote

Nice!  

It took me a little bit to find an early Model 11...I wanted the suicide safety with no engravings on the receiver sides.  All the guns I looked at either had the crossbolt safety, engravings,  or the stock fit was horrible (cracked, dented, receiver fit sucked, etc).  The gun I won,  the GB pictures make it difficult to tell exactly but I think the SN puts the gun about 1910-1911.
"
What is the LOP for that stock?  I think I'm going to cut down my stock a little bit, 2"-3", but mainly just so I can fit a nice 1" thick grind-to-fit recoil pad.  I don't exactly want it to be "Whippet Gun" short.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:26:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BASE] [#7]
I have a straight stocked one I just finished cutting down. I think it's a 1912 manufactured gun, has the earlier safety. I didn't realize both the buttstock and the forearm had multiple bad cracks in them when I bought it. I figured someone must have been running it with the friction ring configured wrong but that isn't the case. It kicks harder than any shotgun I've ever fired. I think it's worse than my BMG without the brake. I need to figure that out before I wreck the thing as I've got too much work into it now.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Do it
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:05:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AT-ST83] [#9]
Originally Posted By BASE:
I have a straight stocked one I just finished cutting down. I think it's a 1912 manufactured gun, has the earlier safety. I didn't realize both the buttstock and the forearm had multiple bad cracks in them when I bought it. I figured someone must have been running it with the friction ring configured wrong but that isn't the case. It kicks harder than any shotgun I've ever fired. I think it's worse than my BMG without the brake. I need to figure that out before I wreck the thing as I've got too much work into work into it now.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196570/rem_11_done-3203962.jpg

View Quote

Sounds like the springs need to be replaced.  Art's Gun Shop is arguably the Auto 5 / Model 11 experts, and they sell a rebuild kit.  You would be surprised how much the old springs will compress and collapse over time.  Plus, there is a good chance the springs have NEVER been replace in the the past 100+ years.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AT-ST83:

Sounds like the springs need to be replaced.  Art's Gun Shop is arguably the Auto 5 / Model 11 experts, and they sell a rebuild kit.  You would be surprised how much the old springs will compress and collapse over time.  Plus, there is a good chance the springs have NEVER been replace in the the past 100+ years.
View Quote

I preemptively bought a new spring from MGW as I have always heard that they don't hold up (the original square ones). It's stiffer than the old one for sure. I cannot imagine how bad it must have sucked with the old spring.

I will probably try the rest of the kit even though the brass ring looks fine. Something aint right as it kicks a lot harder than my single shot. I did double check to make sure everything was assembled and orientated correctly for heavy loads.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By BASE:

I preemptively bought a new spring from MGW as I have always heard that they don't hold up (the original square ones). It's stiffer than the old one for sure. I cannot imagine how bad it must have sucked with the old spring.

I will probably try the rest of the kit even though the brass ring looks fine. Something aint right as it kicks a lot harder than my single shot. I did double check to make sure everything was assembled and orientated correctly for heavy loads.
View Quote

What is the OAL of your Model 11?  I love that straight stock!   I'm planning on chopping off 2"-3" of the stock and install a grind-to-fit KickEez pad.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AT-ST83:

What is the OAL of your Model 11?  I love that straight stock!   I'm planning on chopping off 2"-3" of the stock and install a grind-to-fit KickEez pad.
View Quote

It came out to about 32.5" OAL.  I didn't touch the stock other than repairs, the LOP feels a bit short to me as it is. A grind to fit pad is probably in it's future.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:43:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AT-ST83] [#13]
Picked it up from my LGS today.  Serial Number puts it at 1907 manufacturing date.  It's 117 years old.  LOL.

Got it all taken apart.  Everything but the bolt is numbers matching, but I'm not even sure the bolt were a numbers matching part to begin with. It needs a few little parts replaced, but that's easy...JackFirst Inc and Art's Gun Shop have all the parts I need.  Surprisingly, the fiber buffer is 75% intact.  Art's Gun Shop Rebuild Kit arrives in a few days to replace the major springs, friction ring, buffer, etc.

Overall, it is in great shape.  No rust, very minor pitting, and everything works.  Spent about 2 hours getting it broken down and fully cleaned.  

Still debating barrel length, because I can't decide on how "original" I want to keep it.  I might want to install a +1 mag tube extension, but I'm not sure.  If I "modernize it" with ghost ring sights, then I will add the +1 extension....but I don't know if I want to add the ghost ring sights.  I might just drill/tap it for a gold front bead sight.  

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I am working on finding one of these. This is a timely thread.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Local gun shops, pawn shops, gun shows, GunBroker, etc.  I found mine on GunBroker for a reasonable price, just under $500 shipped.  I was specifically looking for an early model with the suicide safety, no engravings on the receiver, and a decently fit wood stock. Most of the Model 11's you will see have cracked or chipped wood stocks....they are 100+ years old, after all.  The shotgun I ended up with is 117 years old.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#16]
12g and 20g REM 11’s
Top Top