Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/19/2022 9:30:29 PM EDT

Posted over on reddit by a user

KAC 2023 Update and Information Dump
Just got back from the 100th Birthday of Eugene Stoner Event at KAC and IMT and wanted to provide you all with some of the information I was able to acquire so let's get started.

KS-1

The KS-1 will be the flagship rifle for KAC going forward. The current line of SR-15 rifles will be phased out and the KS-1 variants will take its place. Barrel lengths will be 11.5", 13.7" 14.5", and 16". Barrels will be dimpled heavy profile. The 14.5" and 13.7" will use the intermediate length gas system. Notched uppers will be the standard. Colors will be black and tan. Comes with a new ambi charging handle.

E3.2 Bolt

The E3.2 bolt will be the standard bolt for the KS-1 moving forward and the old E3 bolt is being discontinued.

?

Ambi Lower

The Ambi lower that is seen on the KS-1 will be the new ambi lower. The differences from the current ambi lower are the LMT style ambi bolt catch/release, and 3rd QD slot added to the rear of the QD end plate, and a different trigger guard.

URX6

The URX 6 rail system is the rail system featured on the KS-1. The QD slots near the receiver have been eliminated. All but two vent slots that expose the gas tube and gas block have been removed. The only slot that remains is the one where the tube meats the block. The installation/attachment method has changed as well. It's an improved design that makes the rail way more rigid and easier to remove by an armorer.

PRT and CRS

The PRT suppressor and CRS suppressor are the new flagship cans from KAC and the current QDC cans are being discontinued. The PRT is the short length and the CRS is the standard length. These cans are 3D printed and machine welded for more precise build quality and shortened production time. Both feature vents at the front of the can to aide in back pressure reduction and flash suppression. Both are a QDC connection and will fit the QDC 3 Prong and QDC MAMS. KAC also developed an aluminum sleeve that fits over the PRT to aide in thermal signature reduction. There's a good chance that this sleeve will be sold in the future. ETA of these cans is late 2023 maybe early 2024 with a MSRP of around $1600.

Y'all can expect an Official Announcement of all this information at SHOT 2023.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#2]
It was fantastic to be able to celebrate the 100/60/40.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#3]
What does KS stand for

Kinky Sphincter…
Kraken Stopper…
Karen Slayer… ?
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Knight Stoner
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What does KS stand for

Kinky Sphincter…
Kraken Stopper…
Karen Slayer… ?
View Quote

LMFAO
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 9:56:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Knight Stoner
View Quote

Did they say anything about catching-up on all of their dealer backorders? Or do we think they will pull a Sig and cancel all backorders and replace with the KS-1 line (similar to how Virtus rifle backorders were cancelled and fulfilled with Spear-LT models).
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Hahaha, all those Reddit fucks just got rekt, poor guys…. Gonna have to get on all the new waitlists now
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Any closer photos of the markings on the magwell (ejection port side)?

If those lowers say KS-1 instead of SR15, California gonna be flooded with new off-list KAC rifles.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 12:40:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 1:00:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Will the KS1 uppers be sold standalone?
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 2:17:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Any closer photos of the markings on the magwell (ejection port side)?

If those lowers say KS-1 instead of SR15, California gonna be flooded with new off-list KAC rifles.
View Quote

good
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 2:41:31 AM EDT
[#13]
So what gas system length will be on a 16" gun if not the intermediate used on 13.7 and 14.5s?
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 3:08:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Handguard has a Midwest Industries logo engraved on it.  Huh.

Looking forward to learning more about the new suppressors.  Vented front caps seem to be a thing these days.  Even B&T has updated some of their suppressors like the TP9/MP9 model with a new vented front cap.  I wonder if they’re doing this for reduced back pressure or if it truly helps reduce overall signature.  My understanding is that flow-through style suppressors tend to have a greater flash signature, but this is claiming the opposite.  What about sound?  Will be interesting to see.

I recall a KAC catalog that leaked a couple of years ago that had some new QDC “pressure reduction technology” suppressors shown in it (I think that’s what they were called?), but I never saw them become available for sale or heard any news about military adoption.  Could this new “PRT” model be just that?  Or perhaps an updated version with 3D printed baffles and a vented front cap?

ETA: 2020 catalog from their website shows two PRT suppressor models - a 7.62 CRS/midlength and a 5.56 CQB/short model.

Sounds like maybe the OP has some incorrect info as far as the suppressor naming.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 3:26:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Looking forward to learning more about the new suppressors.  Vented front caps seem to be a thing these days.  Even B&T has updated some of their suppressors like the TP9/MP9 model with a new vented front cap.  I wonder if they’re doing this for reduced back pressure or if it truly helps reduce overall signature.  My understanding is that flow-through style suppressors tend to have a greater flash signature, but this is claiming the opposite.  What about sound?  Will be interesting to see.

I recall a KAC catalog that leaked a couple of years ago that had some new QDC “pressure reduction technology” suppressors shown in it (I think that’s what they were called?), but I never saw them become available for sale or heard any news about military adoption.  Could this new “PRT” model be just that?  Or perhaps an updated version with 3D printed baffles and a vented front cap?

ETA: 2020 catalog from their website shows two PRT suppressor models - a 7.62 CRS/midlength and a 5.56 CQB/short model.

Sounds like maybe the OP has some incorrect info as far as the suppressor naming.
View Quote

That’s the symbol for m-lok
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unlike the assumption that the mlok logo is Midwest Industries, the OP does not have incorrect information as far as the suppressor naming.

The QDC/PRT cans have been around for years, just not on the commercial market. The manufacturing practice and minor changes in locking collar design likely warrant differentiation from the QDC lineup, going simply with PRT.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#17]
That's cool. I wonder how much the dimpling adds to production time? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I recalled hearing in a video interview where the dimpling could be rather precarious and you could torch a barrel real fast if done incorrectly. Interesting they are committing to dimpling literally every barrel now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's cool. I wonder how much the dimpling adds to production time? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I recalled hearing in a video interview where the dimpling could be rather precarious and you could torch a barrel real fast if done incorrectly. Interesting they are committing to dimpling literally every barrel now.
View Quote

Agree, they had to have perfected a process to dimple barrels that is quick, efficient and cost effective
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Oversimplified…

In a live tooling lathe.
Set a C position for zero degrees.
Plunge ball mill to set depth every XX distance along the length of the barrel.
Rotate XX degrees in C.
Offset start Z position for plunge milling, use same spacing and depth.
Rotate XX degrees in C.
Return to first Z position for plunge.
Repeat.

It will add time to the profiling operation but not that much.

Could alternatively do it in a vertical mill with rotary table, to coincide with gas port drilling.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

????????
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 4:49:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry if it’s been asked already, but what optic is on there?
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#22]
13.7 KS1 makes me tingle in all the right places.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#23]

the trigger guard redesign looks interesting. instead of wings that can break on the lower with the trigger guard install it looks like they're putting the wings part on the guard itself.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 5:50:31 PM EDT
[#24]
First of all, I got to see the KS1 in person. It is Saweet! Looking forward to owning one.

Second, I’m glad to see dimples making a comeback. It’s just funny that it was done away with because of increased potential corrosion issues but now coming back.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 8:45:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nothing confirmed but the rumor is the Gen. 4 Vortex Razor 1-10x.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:33:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
M1913 Master Race
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:42:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Unlike the assumption that the mlok logo is Midwest Industries, the OP does not have incorrect information as far as the suppressor naming.

The QDC/PRT cans have been around for years, just not on the commercial market. The manufacturing practice and minor changes in locking collar design likely warrant differentiation from the QDC lineup, going simply with PRT.
View Quote
My bad.  I don't own MLOK anything.  When I saw the symbol, the first thing I thought of was Midwest Industries, so I Googled "Midwest Industries" and saw that symbol on their handguards.  I guess being a RIS II junkie has its drawbacks i.e. ignorance to anything MLOK related.

I guess I'll have to see these new "PRT" and "CRS" suppressors to get a better understanding of why they named them this way.  In 2020, "PRT" meant "Pressure Reduction Technology" and CRS meant "Combat Rifle Suppressor" (I believe) aka the mid-length suppressor, so if the new naming convention refers solely to the length of the suppressors, then it makes no sense as of right now.  I guess we'll see eventually!
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 12:12:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s a vortex product for sure. There are pictures from the KAC event of the vortex logo on the optic. Reddit says it’s a US made Gen 4. Part of the new “AMG” series.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 12:17:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It’s a vortex product for sure. There are pictures from the KAC event of the vortex logo on the optic. Reddit says it’s a US made Gen 4. Part of the new “AMG” series.
View Quote

Ah that would be cool, I was fond of my AMG 6-24c when I had it. Neat little scope.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 12:48:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Will it be labeled KS-1 or SR-15? SR-15 is banned by name in my dumb ass state, but KS-1 would be perfectly fine for sale.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 3:54:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/uExxejg.png

the trigger guard redesign looks interesting. instead of wings that can break on the lower with the trigger guard install it looks like they're putting the wings part on the guard itself.
View Quote

They should have just paid Magpul for theirs. The KAC one has always been garbage - looks cool, corners way too sharp for any real use.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 4:55:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
corners way too sharp for any real use.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/21/2022 5:18:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Any update on m110 cans?
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They should have just paid Magpul for theirs. The KAC one has always been garbage - looks cool, corners way too sharp for any real use.
View Quote

Not following you regarding the sharp corners statement. KAC trigger guards have worked fine for "real use" for a long time now.

As for using the Magpul trigger guard, I'm not following there, either. It wouldn't have solved anything. Aside from using a set screw to secure the front portion instead of a detent, it's the same design as the current KAC trigger guard. The attachment method of the KS-1 trigger guard has been redesigned and eliminates the possibility of damaging the lower receiver during installation. The Magpul guard wouldn't have accomplished this, or anything else, over the current KAC guard.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bet you like pointy elbows too.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for this! Any info on the SR25 side of the house?
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Bet you like pointy elbows too.
View Quote

x2
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Oversimplified…

In a live tooling lathe.
Set a C position for zero degrees.
Plunge ball mill to set depth every XX distance along the length of the barrel.
Rotate XX degrees in C.
Offset start Z position for plunge milling, use same spacing and depth.
Rotate XX degrees in C.
Return to first Z position for plunge.
Repeat.

It will add time to the profiling operation but not that much.

Could alternatively do it in a vertical mill with rotary table, to coincide with gas port drilling.
View Quote

I’d guess stress relief after the fact rather than the actual cutting operation.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

x2
View Quote

Confirmed, pointy elbow loving drooler here.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 11:27:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Never thought I'd say this, but it feels awkward not having AOC peeping anymore.

Excited about this. I wonder what the difference in barrel weights are of the mod 2 gen vs ks1 gen. I wonder if KAC plans the same barrel treatments for the entire '25 line. Would be nice. Relieved to see the PRT will use the existing muzzle devices. And while I prefer the QD attachments already in the handguard, it's much more aesthetically pleasing now and makes more sense from an adjustability standpoint.

Glad to see Knights taking risk on price increases to provide substantial improvements.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 4:32:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Confirmed, pointy elbow loving drooler here.
View Quote

I dont know what youre trying to say which is why I asserted that you are in fact a clown, but what I do know is that when I make a joke it at least lands on its feet.

You seem to think your personal attacks affect me in some way, but all your seething posts do is out the fact that I live in your head rent free when I barely know you exist. So with that, enjoy the forum clown.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Never thought I'd say this, but it feels awkward not having AOC peeping anymore.

Excited about this. I wonder what the difference in barrel weights are of the mod 2 gen vs ks1 gen. I wonder if KAC plans the same barrel treatments for the entire '25 line. Would be nice. Relieved to see the PRT will use the existing muzzle devices. And while I prefer the QD attachments already in the handguard, it's much more aesthetically pleasing now and makes more sense from an adjustability standpoint.

Glad to see Knights taking risk on price increases to provide substantial improvements.
View Quote

Yeah, I've been patiently waiting on the 14.5 CC uppers to come in. Makes me wonder if I should hold off. A suppressed heavy barrel dimpled 14.5 would be pretty sweet!
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I dont know what youre trying to say which is why I asserted that you are in fact a clown, but what I do know is that when I make a joke it at least lands on its feet.

You seem to think your personal attacks affect me in some way, but all your seething posts do is out the fact that I live in your head rent free when I barely know you exist. So with that, enjoy the forum clown.
View Quote

??
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Why don’t you guys take the KAC fight to Reddit and stop mucking up the dump thread?
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Why don’t you guys take the KAC fight to Reddit and stop mucking up the dump thread?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/22/2022 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yeah, I've been patiently waiting on the 14.5 CC uppers to come in. Makes me wonder if I should hold off. A suppressed heavy barrel dimpled 14.5 would be pretty sweet!
View Quote

Agree.

Have a 16" CC and felt it needed a heavier barrel. So I tracked down a 16" chrome lined PC. Just need a 14.5 to add and I'm done with the .308 collection. The only thing that has me a little apprehensive is muzzle flash with a CRS QDC for night time hog hunting. I wonder how much it's able to tame/eliminate it with the shorter barrel.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Any update on m110 cans?
View Quote

Not discontinued, but still way backordered.

"Not anytime soon" is what I've heard.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#49]
My guess is that it uses a barrel nut wrench like this SR-25 one.

" />
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My guess is that it uses a barrel nut wrench like this SR-25 one.

https://i.imgur.com/EED3OnE.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/EED3OnE.jpg
View Quote

From what was said, yes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top