Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2024 4:09:57 PM EDT
With all the new Green PVS-14's  being sold out from the popular sources (new stock), I have been watching the various White tubes while I save more money.

I am seeing some L3/Harris Unfilmed tubes listed as 18um and some as 20um.  I assume the 18um are new spec tubes but, don't know how this works or if it even matters.  FWIW, I will most likely stick to JRH or TNVC for me future purchase but, there are a couple other well respected shops I check periodically too.

Then there is the Elbit M23H available from JRH, how does this one compare?

TIA,
Sid
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I should add recoil resistance.  I plan on using it with a KAC SR-25 but, not a 50BMG in addition to more normal stuff like supporting my thermal or vice versa.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 5:27:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Riley] [#2]
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Tube series is just a minimum. From my understanding the lowest graded tube in the lot designates how they are classified. Example, I bought a filmless pvs 14 this spring based on specs. It was an 18UM on the spec sheet but exceeded the specs on the chart above of even a 2200 series.
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 6:58:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sidpost] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TNVC_Riley:
Firstly, thank you for the confidence.

And just so I can help answer your questions better, are you talking about weapon mounting a PVS-14 or are you considering these tubes for a dedicated clip-on housing? Thanks in advance
View Quote

I would do a Clip-on for any weapons mount, along with whatever I need for general surveillance and, for limited use doing astronomy with my friend who spends a lot of time photographing deep space things.  When he builds a dedicated telescope, a PVS-14 mount of some sort is likely too so we can find faint deep space objects without long frame exposures from a camera (think aiming and getting it dialed in).  I don't see a helmet mount in my future either.

My main uses will be clipping it to a rail of something like a Ruger 10/22 to smoke small critters or my SR-25 for big ones.  I don't want to pull off any day optics on my rifles routinely.  Seasonal changes as the targets change their behavior would be when I would move optics around and re-zero things.

With the Thermal versus NV back and forth, I will likely leave my zeroed thermal on "its" rifle and move the PVS-14 as needed but, that is a work in progress and needs more thought.  Once I have it in hand, I am sure things will change because sweeping my Thermal Rifle to find a heat signature won't work well, and on a full moon night I will probably want to use the PVS-14 in preference to the Thermal so, two rifles seems very impractical and basically unworkable.  Plus, if I have a snake I'm hunting, the thermal isn't going to do anything for me and a good 22LR is probably a better option than a centerfire rifle.  I had a Copperhead snake encounter on the sidewalk to my back patio under sodium lights one time and that could have ended badly.  Turning off the orange lights and using a really good PVS-14 is probably a better option.
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 10:42:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#8]
The best tube I’ve ever seen was an 18UM and I’ve seen people pay extra for 24UAs that I would have passed on for regular price. Don't get hung up on tube grade at all, pick a vendor that will let you spec tubes and ask where you can get greedy and where you will be waiting a long time for a tube.
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 10:56:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
The best tube I've ever seen was an 18UM and I've seen people pay extra for 24UAs that I would have passed on for regular price. Don't get hung up on tube grade at all, pick a vendor that will let you spec tubes and ask where you can get greedy and where you will be waiting a long time for a tube.
View Quote

Hence my preference for TNVC and JRH!  Both are solid sources with a long track record of taking care of customers and delivering premium products at a fair price.
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:
Semi down because of the hurricane hitting us hard here, still limited cell, no power, net, etc.

We are very low on M23H and 20UM grade tubes.  We do have units in stock and now shipping services in our area are back up and running as of today, so we are current on orders.
View Quote

Glad to hear things are improving.  I'm not in a super big hurry to get my new PVS-14 and need to set some more money aside for a more expensive (and better) unit today.

I'll reach out to you once the smoke and dust settles out your direction and you get a chance to catch your breath after the storm clean up.

Link Posted: 10/2/2024 11:36:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sidpost] [#11]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Will:

PVS-14s need to be mounted behind an optic and work best with a 1x sight such as an EOtech or Aimpoint due to light transmission and space. Basically, it would replace where a magnifier would go, and we make the TNVC TM14 which uses the Aimpoint twist mount base so users can switch between their magnifier and a PVS-14. It is a lower 1/3 mount.

Honestly, if you're kiling critters then I'd go with a thermal instead.
View Quote

The thermal works really well when you have something like my Trijicon IR Hunter MK3-60mm but, it isn't ideal for every situation.

I am still coming up to speed on PVS-14's.  My prior experience was a long time ago with a Gen3 PVS-4 and some PVS-7B binoculars (not in military service).  What you suggest sounds like I'm best off letting it do primary duty on my 22LR varminter with an Aimpoint where shot distances aren't too great.  Point of aim shouldn't be an issue since the Aimpoint is fixed so, moving it around becomes much simpler.

I could always set up a new AR-15 upper with a LPVO or Aimpoint and the PVS-14 which would be fine for dogs and larger vermin away from the house, barns, stalls, etc.  I'm not a huge 300BO fan, but a "cheap'ish" reliable 300BO AR-15 might be a good option here too with the ranges I would need it for shooting vermin and dogs at night.

And yes, I'm trying to come up to speed on the PVS-14 thing.  Perhaps I need to rethink getting a dedicated NV scope but, then I lose on the versatility of being able to use it for other purposes and different rifles.  Jack of all trades, and master of none though might be true in my use case with a PVS-14.

In terms of expectations, I'm trying to identify all the ways I would use it, and how much so I get the right tool.  A second cheap thermal appropriate for close encounters might be worth reconsidering.  The problem I have is memories of using that old FLIR with the 19mm lens and older sensor.  Clearly identifying things was not a given plus it was a heavy brick even on an AR-15, so use with a 22LR wouldn't be reasonable for me.  

Perhaps one of the newer Bering Optics, Pulsar, AGM, ... thermals would be better.  The N-Vision NOX PVS-14'ish unit is one I considered before I got the Trijicon.  However today, at $6200 is a hard price point for me.  With that BAE sensor though, I bet it is an awesome option for someone with deep enough pockets.  Hmm, that NOX unit might be the best for me even at an additional $2200~$2700.
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 11:48:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sidpost] [#12]
The real problem is I have gone from a good Green tubed PVS-14 to a more premium white tube PVS-14.  Getting back into the >$6K thermal range is way beyond where I started.

I guess I need to investigate where Bering Optics is today along with Infiray, Pulsar, etc. in the $1500~$2500 range targeted for close work.
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 11:53:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By sidpost:

The thermal works really well when you have something like my Trijicon IR Hunter MK3-60mm but, it isn't ideal for every situation.

I am still coming up to speed on PVS-14's.  My prior experience was a long time ago with a Gen3 PVS-4 and some PVS-7B binoculars (not in military service).  What you suggest sounds like I'm best off letting it do primary duty on my 22LR varminter with an Aimpoint where shot distances aren't too great.  Point of aim shouldn't be an issue since the Aimpoint is fixed so, moving it around becomes much simpler.

I could always set up a new AR-15 upper with a LPVO or Aimpoint and the PVS-14 which would be fine for dogs and larger vermin away from the house, barns, stalls, etc.  I'm not a huge 300BO fan, but a "cheap'ish" reliable 300BO AR-15 might be a good option here too with the ranges I would need it for shooting vermin and dogs at night.

And yes, I'm trying to come up to speed on the PVS-14 thing.  Perhaps I need to rethink getting a dedicated NV scope but, then I lose on the versatility of being able to use it for other purposes and different rifles.  Jack of all trades, and master of none though might be true in my use case with a PVS-14.

In terms of expectations, I'm trying to identify all the ways I would use it, and how much so I get the right tool.  A second cheap thermal appropriate for close encounters might be worth reconsidering.  The problem I have is memories of using that old FLIR with the 19mm lens and older sensor.  Clearly identifying things was not a given plus it was a heavy brick even on an AR-15, so use with a 22LR wouldn't be reasonable for me.  

Perhaps one of the newer Bering Optics, Pulsar, AGM, ... thermals would be better.  The N-Vision NOX PVS-14'ish unit is one I considered before I got the Trijicon.  However today, at $6200 is a hard price point for me.  With that BAE sensor though, I bet it is an awesome option for someone with deep enough pockets.  Hmm, that NOX unit might be the best for me even at an additional $2200~$2700.
View Quote

Look at a Rix leap L3. A little heavy but really nice bang for your buck thermal. New they are$2300.
Link Posted: 10/3/2024 3:10:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Riley] [#14]
Link Posted: 10/3/2024 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/4/2024 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#16]
TNVC: You guys are simply awesome.  And, yes I missed out on the older KAC PVS refurb units that ran ~$5K at the time.  I ordered a Unity Tactical riser today just before doing a blood donation!  In terms of my day optics, I run that ACOG on a KAC SR-15 LPR and I am amazed at how well this combination works.  It simply rules shooting dogs harassing nursing cows and ambusing them at the waterhole during the day.  After losing a calf to a neighbor's "pet", I'm on a personal JIHAD on dogs harassing and killing livestock and personally find domestic dogs to be the worst.

I plan on shooting the Unity Tactical riser some with my Aimpoint to get a feel for that combination before I commit to a NV or thermal option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top