Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2024 3:37:23 AM EDT
I'm tired of using paracord to dummy cord my nods.

I'm cheap, but this stuff is expensive and with me wanting to upgrade to binos next year I'd like something cleaner and less jank. Anyone have a suggestion?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:22:01 AM EDT
[#1]
have you looked at the NERD?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:07:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DirtyHandsRob:
have you looked at the NERD?
View Quote

I'll second the NERD. Seems expensive for what it is, but I have neither the time, nor the skills, to make one myself that wouldn't look like shit
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:27:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Inimicalone] [#3]
I took a camera lanyard and 2 inches of one wrap and made a pretty solid lanyard in my opinion.
Whoops, wrong pic.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Apparently,  I don't have any pics of it...
I'll take a picture when I get home tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:53:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#5]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#6]
another +1 for the nerd. it was great on a single noisefighters J arm and now it is still great on a rayvn bridge for ghetto fusion thermal/nv
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Seems to be pretty universal for the NERD.. guess I'll buy that.

And for the record my helmet is a legacy Ops Core fast base jump military - tan

I bought it at Ranger Joe's near Benning (it will always be Benning to me) a decade ago. Still going strong, albeit a bit scratched up at this point.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 for the NERD. I set it up with a tiny carabiner clip for quick connections.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:05:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:50:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Feeble-Prize] [#10]
5col sells type 1A and type 2 parachute cord that is not as beefy as 550 cord, hold a knot well, available in nice, subdued colors, and is way good for lanyards of proper size, weight, and bulk.

550 cord is the most common parachute cord size but these better options are out there for lighter duty service. The smallest, type 1A is rated at 100 pounds. Type 3 looks like gutted 550 cord that has been ironed flat (like a shoe lace) and it is rated at about 400 pounds. Both are great cord to have on hand.

Hunt some up along with some mini lanyards in black color. Search "mini carabiner" on eBay and you'll find dozens of offerings. I use the kind with a solid eye for the cord and a decent locking arm on the hook. Look carefully and you will see the differences among the various styles - some of which simply look untrustworthy. Most of the heavier, small metal  hooks are rated at around 15kg which is enough to halt binos at the end of a few foot fall, yet allow you to keep hour head if you get your NV snagged while sprinting away from  bigfoot.

Kevlar cord is available in the smaller sizes too, but treating the cord ends against unraveling is far more difficult than is nylon, which fuses near a flame.

When securing the snap hook or making loops in the cord for other purposes, I suggest the figure of eight knot. It is a knot that is sound, yet can be untied
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:56:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#11]
Retractable tool lanyard

I use these. Kevlar corded. Twelve dollars.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Amsteel is extremely strong for its size if you care to make your own.  

KISS = some variation of 550.
Top Top