Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2021 7:42:35 PM EDT
I was just wondering how many people are still using a Lee Classic Loader. This was the first reloader I learned on. It was a 357 and I sold it many years back. I was thinking about purchasing another one for 270 Win.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one for .303 British. Slow and simple. Feels like one step up in technology from molding bullets and making paper patches. Enjoyable to sit outside with for a couple hours on a nice day.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I started loading .41 Magnum with one 40 years ago and still have it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone ever set off a primer using one of these?
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Not sure why that would happen.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Lee Breech Lock Challenger Kit.
I got it a few years simply in preparation for when ammo is not going to be available.
What's are y'all's thoughts on it?
I'll be loading 9mm, some 38 spl, some 32acp, and .223.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 9:45:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#8]
35 or 40 years ago I had some for several cartridges and bought the full set of plastic powder dippers and the Lee book with data from the powder companies, since the Internet wasn't public back then.

Some shops had load guides you could view without buying the whole book.

I would get data from Hornady and Sierra in those.

Later an RCBS 502 powder scale to check the dippers.

They were purposely light, to be, safe, mid loads, with the powders recommended.

Later Lee started selling real sizing dies and presses and no long after, came out with a hand press that worked more smoothly than Lyman's.

Then I got a bench mounted press and an RCBS 505 scale.

The 505 scale seemed slightly nicer than the 502 scale, but the results were the same and I would have been happy with the 502.

Lee came out with a hand priming tool, that wasn't as nice as the current one, but much cheaper than RCBS at the time.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 10:34:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't have the patience .

Slow and steady to me means a single stage press. Not true in todays bizaro world but it used to be that most any gunshop that had been open for a couple of years had a couple of used single stage presses tossed in some dark corner or proping open a door. Going rate on the last one I bought was $25.

For that matter the bottom end Lee single stage used to go on sale for $30 . Still needed dies and something to measure powder with but If you looked around used stuff used to be pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 12:23:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I recommend wearing eye protection, which is a good idea however you are reloading.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 8:26:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 12:39:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I got it a few years simply in preparation for when ammo is not going to be available.
View Quote

I have one I’ve been using for years and have loaded thousands of rounds. No problems.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

https://ultimatereloader.com/2019/04/08/fourteen-reloading-presses-compared-single-stage-shootout/6/

The press should be more than adequate for loading handgun rounds. For long-term reloading of rifle rounds probably not so much (same with the Hornady classic LNL single stage press...aluminum just doesn't have the backbone).

That kit's Achilles Heel is the scale. Has a reputation as being junk. Any other manufacturer's beam scale is fine (Hornady, Redding, Lyman, Dillon, RCBS) as most are made by Ohaus anyway. A good beam scale should always be your default. Don't buy a cheap electronic scale.

The Lee Perfect Powder Measure has its fans and detractors. The main issue I've heard of is leaking powder. There are lots of videos on YT on how to improve function. Pretty sure stick powders are not compatible.

Otherwise you should be OK.

ETA: Lee has since improved the design of their Breech Lock bushings and they now have a model that features an integral lock ring you can tighten with a hex wrench (similar to Hornady)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top