Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2024 11:46:13 PM EDT
Is there a desirable manufacturer of the No. 4 MK 1? Any tips on what to look for and watch out when checking one out?
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 10:39:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tangeant] [#1]
Early Maltby's are my favorite.

Lend lease Savage rifles are prob the Most desirable collector wise followed by Long Branch.

Look for matching #s and bore / muzzle condition. It's nearly impossible to find a %100 original British wartime rifle hardly any escaped being refurbed.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Most desirable would be a pre-war trials rifles… Technically they aren’t no4 rifles by nomenclature, but for all intents and purposes they are. After that would probably be the (T) rifles.

In terms of desired manufacturer, in the States it would be the Savage produced rifles. But that’s only because they were made in America. Personally I’ve found the Longbranch rifles to be consistently more accurate… But that’s just me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:08:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tangeant: It's nearly impossible to find a %100 original British wartime rifle hardly any escaped being refurbed.
View Quote

I have one…
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By GerryOwen:
Most desirable would be a pre-war trials rifles… Technically they aren’t no4 rifles by nomenclature, but for all intents and purposes they are. After that would probably be the (T) rifles.

In terms of desired manufacturer, in the States it would be the Savage produced rifles. But that’s only because they were made in America. Personally I’ve found the Longbranch rifles to be consistently more accurate… But that’s just me.
View Quote

I concur on the Long branch.  Have owned Savage No4s before and the Long branch manufacture is superior.  Still have the Longbranch but no Savages now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JMD:

Still have the Longbranch but no Savages now.
View Quote

Same… Sold my last Savage no4 about 5 years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top