Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2024 4:39:11 PM EDT
Grabbed a box of these and have some new Starline brass to put them in.  I've been looking in my loading manuals but any recommendations for a nice load out of a 5" 1911?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

The 200gr GDHP was a complete bust and performed terribly. I initially bought some but basically burned them up as practice ammo after I saw DocGKR test them in gelatin. Unless someone has retested them and shown that the issues were fixed, I would avoid them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Originally Posted By Network_Daddy:
Grabbed a box of these and have some new Starline brass to put them in.  I've been looking in my loading manuals but any recommendations for a nice load out of a 5" 1911?

The 200gr GDHP was a complete bust and performed terribly. I initially bought some but basically burned them up as practice ammo after I saw DocGKR test them in gelatin. Unless someone has retested them and shown that the issues were fixed, I would avoid them.

Well that is disappointing.  I have 100 so I'm loading them regardless but maybe that is why they were still on the shelf...
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not certain what tests you are referring to, but I'm not sure I'd call the 200gr gold dot terrible. It's a really wide expanding, moderate weight bullet. According to the Lucky Gunner gel tests, it still exceeds the FBI minimum of 12". The 230gr Gold Dot didn't really do much different. Even the 185gr did fine. Some people want the widest expanding bullet they can get, then the 200gr Gold Dot is one of the better ones. Personally my choice of a hollow point in the 45 acp is a 230gr XTP, but that's just me. They don't expand a ton, but they penetrate quite well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:35:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1911user] [#4]
Can anyone provide a link to the bad tests on these?  I have 1K of the pulled 200grGDHP (and 1K 230gr V-Crown if it has issues as well).  I'd hate to have to treat them like LSWC and use for basic practice.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Which powder and primers do you plan to use?  These days, it's often wise to use what you have rather than pay BIG bucks for yet another powder.  Are you looking for recommendations on those, too?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Hogdons longshot & magnum primers
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Thanks.  Some light reading for me.  

\\THREAD DRIFT\\  FWIW I've carried heavy HSTs as a standard pistol load in several calibers for 20 years now.  The 45acp gold dot pulls were backup to be loaded if ammo became very hard to get.     \\END THREAD DRIFT\\
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:20:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:05:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
If I was going to load them, I would use True Blue and a Wolf LP primer in a Fed case.

Just some of my favorites, there are plenty of other good choices. Just what I would do.
View Quote

That is an oddly specific combo. When was the last time we got Wolf primers in the USA? Surely not after the Russian attack in 2014. It's crazy to think back how common Wolf was back then. Nothing wrong with a Federal case though, they are one of my favorites in a handgun, although 45 acp is so forgiving.

I don't think I've ever loaded a 200gr gold dot, but in my 200gr loading, my favorite for full power loads is the max, 10.5gr Bluedot. It shoots amazingly well.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Well that is disappointing.  I have 100 so I'm loading them regardless but maybe that is why they were still on the shelf...
View Quote

I bought a single small box of those once and did the load work up with my powder charges looking for the best accuracy that I could get from them.

Did not like how they performed for me in the particular 1911 I was shooting them out of regardless of the charge weight and never bought any more. (that particular gun shot 230 GD's really, really well at a much wider range in the charge weights)

Those things 'could' be laser beam accurate in your particular gun and with your particular powder of choice at a charge weight that you worked up to in your particular load development...

You won't know until you try. :)

It is not at all unusual to see even pistol groups change in size as the powder charge changes behind a particular projectile.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Copy cat reloading serves no purpose.  Do a proper load work up in your guns.  What is safe reliable and accurate in one gun my not be in yours!

Personally, I miss the old Speer Flying Ash Tray 45 Caliber 200gr JHP from a bygone era.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By rn22723:

Copy cat reloading serves no purpose.  Do a proper load work up in your guns.  What is safe reliable and accurate in one gun my not be in yours!

Personally, I miss the old Speer Flying Ash Tray 45 Caliber 200gr JHP from a bygone era.
View Quote

I am having a flashback, I still have a few left over from the 80s, then the hydroshocks, then the Winchester SXTs, Then Ranger Ts and Gold dot 230s.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:02:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm not an expert at this but my experience has been that a 200 grain .45 Gold Dot will expand to .80" in water jugs at 880-890 fps with a couple of loads I have tried. So not really even into +P range.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 1:22:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Of course always work up your own loads, I was just looking for info on what others may be using and compare that to other information or loads of my own.   I've loaded 200gr lead and jacketed and just curious what else people are using.  

Thanks for the info all.  Still haven't loaded them but based on the crap performance I'm seeing in videos for that bullet I'm no longer in a rush.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 3:15:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#18]
I am waiting for RMR to produce a 230 gr NUKE bullet.

In the mean time, I have a ton of XTP's I am using.

I use W231, Win LP primers and brass sorted by headstamp.

I don't normally but I have even trimmed my brass (it made no difference).

My 1911 seems to digest anything I feed it, as long as it passes the plunk test.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I have had good luck with Hornady bullets and Win 231.
Top Top