Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 5/30/2024 10:54:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Remington1992]
Hey all I’ve recently gotten the itch to mix up my edc game and try and OTF and looking at Microtech. My current edc which I’ve carried for years now is a benchmade 940. Still my favorite knife I’ve carried but just want to mix it up. Have also carried a Spyderco PM2 and delica over the years.

What would yall recommend similarly to the 940 in size? Ultratech or utx-85 seem closest but I’d like to try the dual fuel models. Also the glass breaker on the utx is too obtrusive for my taste. That leaves me looking at the Hera mini and the cypher 2 on either end of the spectrum. One looks too small the other too big. I do like the blade shape of the cypher with its semi sheepfoot look and the Hera mini looks more ergonomic. So what would yall recommend I try?
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 11:01:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe an ultratech? I know they just released the new generation for some models without the glass breaker.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 11:06:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's one of the new models. Damn they're pricey

https://smkw.com/microtech-hera-otf-automatic-3-apocalyptic-dagger-black/

Apparently they haven't released a gen 3 ultra tech yet
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 7:17:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is a Mini Hera II on the left and an UltraTech on the right. The Hera II firing mechanism and use of the thumb button is worlds above the older stiffer ones. If they stay reliable then their engineers knocked it out of the park. If you want durable for heavy use and want a more substantial feeling then this UltraTech is the way to go. If you want finesse and sexy then the Mini Hera II.  If you want the similar size as the Ultratech then the regular Hera II would be your choice.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 7:42:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I had an Ultratech and loved it, but now I have a Dirac Delta and really love it. My wife carries a Dirac and absolutely loves it. It's small enough to carry and very easy to open.

I would take a look at the Dirac and Dirac Delta. They are sweet "side button" OTFs.
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Having several Microtech knives, I’ve actually come to prefer those from Guardian Tactical. With the ever rising prices of MT it’s worth looking into the alternatives.
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 10:33:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Nothing like the OTF UTs.  The OG of OTFs.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like Microtech must have been listening and just released a gen 3 ultratech. Be interesting to see what options the come out with to start and when they’ll be available.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DOE:
Nothing like the OTF UTs.  The OG of OTFs.
View Quote

I feel the same way.  They might not have the practicality of a half-pound Buck knife, but as far as a machined and finished product, Microtech is tough to beat.

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top