Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

MCX Spear (Page 24 of 31)
Page / 31
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 7:23:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I was so close to buying one until I read about some of the "issues".  Looks like SIG is using the commercial buyers as beta testers again.  I'll wait for Get 4
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 1:27:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stratoat] [#2]
I've had the 16" .308 variant for about 2 months now, have roughly 550 rounds through it, and have had the opportunity to shoot it out to 600 yds. Some thoughts:

1) I disassemble, clean, and lubricate all new firearms. With the spear, the 2 handguard screws initially had red loctite and were way over torqued. The barrel clamp was torqued under spec around 40 in-lbs. I cleaned off the loctite, torqued the handguard screws to 35 in-lbs, torqued the barrel clamp to 60 in-lbs. Have had zero issues with barrel deflection/bending even after plenty of rifle/pistol transitions and hard-use drills.

2) Piston gas rings were EXTREMELY tight, and I had to use a mallet to tap it out.

3) Mounted an NX8 2.5-20 and got 1.8" groups at 100 yds with Federal AE 150gr training ammo. 2.6" groups with Winchester 147gr 7.62 NATO. Got 2.1" groups with PMC .308 147gr. 1.2" groups with Federal SMK 175gr. And finally, 0.8" groups with Sig match 175gr. Haven't tested any other ammo or handloads, but the rifle was likely optimized with Sig's factory ammo. YMMV, but this gun can definitely push sub-MOA with the right ammo and shooter.

4) The legacy AR charging handle is more a nuisance than anything else, and I've exclusively used the side-charging handle.

5) Zero malfunctions with the SLX 7.62 full size suppressor on the suppressed gas setting. POI shift isn't too terrible, but had to dial elevation up 2 MOA after mounting the can. Has a pleasant tone, but still rings my ears after 5 rounds. I have a Flow 7.62 Ti on backorder right now, and will be swapping to that when the stamp comes back.

6) Trigger's fine, no issues or complaints. It's no SSA-E, but it's still very good.

7) Cleaned it again for the second time at 550 rounds, and there's no significant wear on any of the parts. FWIW, I relubed around 300 rounds. My only complaint is that it's an absolute bitch to get the extractor pinned back to the bolt after cleaning. That extractor spring is VERY tight.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 8:03:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By stratoat:
I've had the 16" .308 variant for about 2 months now, have roughly 550 rounds through it, and have had the opportunity to shoot it out to 600 yds. Some thoughts:

1) I disassemble, clean, and lubricate all new firearms. With the spear, the 2 handguard screws initially had red loctite and were way over torqued. The barrel clamp was torqued under spec around 40 in-lbs. I cleaned off the loctite, torqued the handguard screws to 35 in-lbs, torqued the barrel clamp to 60 in-lbs. Have had zero issues with barrel deflection/bending even after plenty of rifle/pistol transitions and hard-use drills.

2) Piston gas rings were EXTREMELY tight, and I had to use a mallet to tap it out.

3) Mounted an NX8 2.5-20 and got 1.8" groups at 100 yds with Federal AE 150gr training ammo. 2.6" groups with Winchester 147gr 7.62 NATO. Got 2.1" groups with PMC .308 147gr. 1.2" groups with Federal SMK 175gr. And finally, 0.8" groups with Sig match 175gr. Haven't tested any other ammo or handloads, but the rifle was likely optimized with Sig's factory ammo. YMMV, but this gun can definitely push sub-MOA with the right ammo and shooter.

4) The legacy AR charging handle is more a nuisance than anything else, and I've exclusively used the side-charging handle.

5) Zero malfunctions with the SLX 7.62 full size suppressor on the suppressed gas setting. POI shift isn't too terrible, but had to dial elevation up 2 MOA after mounting the can. Has a pleasant tone, but still rings my ears after 5 rounds. I have a Flow 7.62 Ti on backorder right now, and will be swapping to that when the stamp comes back.

6) Trigger's fine, no issues or complaints. It's no SSA-E, but it's still very good.

7) Cleaned it again for the second time at 550 rounds, and there's no significant wear on any of the parts. FWIW, I relubed around 300 rounds. My only complaint is that it's an absolute bitch to get the extractor pinned back to the bolt after cleaning. That extractor spring is VERY tight.
View Quote

Good post; thanks.

I am working on getting one shortly
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 5:04:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jerad] [#4]
Got a chance to shoot my SPEAR at 100y yesterday. First thing I realized is my TANGO6T is not up to the task. Compared to the vortex 1-10 on the G I was shooting too, its optics don’t have the resolution I’m used to. I think I’m going to mount a NF NX8 2.5-20x50 on it.

Does anyone know if a aftermarket trigger can be installed in these? It looks similar, just unsure. I’d love a Larue or Geissiele.

With the 6T and the OEM decent trigger I was typically around 2MOA with fed GM 175. I honestly didn’t shoot it much, with that scope I felt like I was just waisting ammo.

Link Posted: 6/19/2023 7:37:36 AM EDT
[#5]
LGS has Spear in stock.
Are caliber changes going to happen at some point?  @Coregon

Link Posted: 6/19/2023 9:21:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Do these have the same basic hand guard and barrel mounting design as the LT’s?

Given the issues with the LT, any reason to think this one won’t have POA and POI issues?
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 9:42:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By esdunbar:

Given the issues with the LT, any reason to think this one won’t have POA and POI issues?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven’t shot mine while pushing on the barrel, but I could get minimal flex out of the hand guards and the barrel appears to be centered. Next range trip I’ll see what happens.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#9]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGOrlX7oP2U

I have a 308 pistol on order.  I keep seeing the over insertion issue but it seems to be just pmags like discussed previously in this thread.  Has anyone else had issues other than guntubers and what mags if you did?
Sig beta tests alot of rifles on the consumer market but I wonder if the army knew about this issue and thats why they have lancers?
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#10]
@coregon is the trigger comparable with ar15 triggers??? I’d like to install a Geissiele. They look similar, but I don’t want to monkey with it, without knowing.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Jerad:
@coregon is the trigger comparable with ar15 triggers??? I’d like to install a Geissiele. They look similar, but I don’t want to monkey with it, without knowing.
View Quote

You would need the G latch.  The NGSW/SPEAR is more similar to Virtus, than SPEAR-LT (which does use standard AR15 triggers), when it comes to trigger use/commonality.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:30:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By coregon:

You would need the G latch.  The NGSW/SPEAR is more similar to Virtus, than SPEAR-LT (which does use standard AR15 triggers), when it comes to trigger use/commonality.
View Quote

Thanks, I forgot about that part, I have one in my rattler so I can run it on my m16. They don’t appear to be in stock anywhere, I’ll keep my eyes open for one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 1:39:53 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

Those are self created issues from trying the take muzzle device off
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 7:52:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By xxflyingturtlexx:

View Quote

So what we're kind of uncovering is that the factory muzzle devices are meant to stay to only accept SIG suppressors...

And, if an owner wants to run a different suppressor or host system, they have to send the unit back to SIG for them to "professionally" uninstall the muzzle device to avoid the shifting issue?

Seems like a bit of a wild concept considering how modular all of the MCX systems have been since their inception.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You're making assumptions off of another posters speculation. No evidence has been provided to show that removing the muzzle device is the culprit to the barrel taking set from being yanked on.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Zerlak:

You're making assumptions off of another posters speculation. No evidence has been provided to show that removing the muzzle device is the culprit to the barrel taking set from being yanked on.
View Quote
I cannot even begin to imagine the force needed to pass the plastic deformation point of a SPEAR barrel.  It's probably an order of magnitude or so above what Joe Sixpack can do with his vise in his garage.

I think that it may be more indicative of the average gun owner's intelligence.  If they have issues getting their muzzle device off, they'll be more likely to nitpick the shit out of the rifle or fuck something else up.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Someone @ me when they announce the 6.5 Creedmoor version. Heck, I'd even take one in .277 Fury.

Link Posted: 6/29/2023 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I removed mine by locking the barrel into a rubber jawed vice. Little heat and it spun right off. You gotta be a mouth breather to screw it up.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 10:37:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By tctlrld:
Someone @ me when they announce the 6.5 Creedmoor version. Heck, I'd even take one in .277 Fury.

View Quote

2024 should be a safe bet.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:12:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jerad] [#20]
Got a 4-32x50 NF NX8 ordered in FDE. Badger Ord. Mount with 45* RMR installed, RMR will arrive Thursday.

Not sure this set up will work with my offset Magpul pro BUIS.

Also thinking about swapping to a CROSS stock….

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Got a 4-32x50 NF NX8 ordered in FDE. Badger Ord. Mount with 45* RMR installed, RMR will arrive Thursday.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45749/IMG_3228_jpeg-2872926.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45749/IMG_3227_jpeg-2872932.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45749/IMG_3225_jpeg-2872928.JPG
View Quote

Looks like it is coming together very nicely.  Please post pictures when she's finished!

Link Posted: 7/6/2023 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#22]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45749/IMG_3228_jpeg-2872926.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45749/IMG_3227_jpeg-2872932.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45749/IMG_3225_jpeg-2872928.JPG
View Quote

Looks like the offset rear iron has minimal clearance, even before the RMR is on it. Not sure what it'll look like when the RMR is mounted but it looks like it'll be skimming the bottom of the reticle window.... if it even makes that height.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By doolz:

Looks like the offset rear iron has minimal clearance, even before the RMR is on it. Not sure what it'll look like when the RMR is mounted but it looks like it'll be skimming the bottom of the reticle window.... if it even makes that height.
View Quote

Agreed.

I suggest moving the offset RMR mount to the forward position on the Badger Ordnance C1.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Sniper3142:

Agreed.

I suggest moving the offset RMR mount to the forward position on the Badger Ordnance C1.
View Quote

This is the only move...

Still, I don't think there will be enough height clearance for a lower 1/3 co-witness with the iron sight and the RMR.

In my experience, the offset optic is essentially the replacement of the offset irons.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 8:45:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jerad] [#25]

View All Quotes

It’s definitely too low, I’m going to go back to standard BUIS, if I have to remove the scope to run Irons, may as well be at 12 O’clock where God intended them.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Originally Posted By Sniper3142:

Agreed.

I’ll figure that out once the NF is in, I assume it’ll be more out of the way infront of the windage knob too.

Also, @coregon I pulled the firing pin safety today, it’s not the same as the G stamped MCX unit I have for my Rattler.

Installed the Geissele trigger, should I be worried about a slam fire? I’ll go easy with it until I find a better solution. Why can’t Sig build a FCG that works universally?!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#26]

It’s definitely too low, I’m going to go back to standard BUIS, if I have to remove the scope to run Irons, may as well be at 12 O’clock where God intended them.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45749/IMG_3288_jpeg-2876270.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45749/IMG_3287_jpeg-2876271.JPG

I’ll figure that out once the NF is in, I assume it’ll be more out of the way infront of the windage knob too.

Also, @coregon I pulled the firing pin safety today, it’s not the same as the G stamped MCX unit I have for my Rattler.

Installed the Geissele trigger, should I be worried about a slam fire? I’ll go easy with it until I find a better solution. Why can’t Sig build a FCG that works universally?!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45749/IMG_3291_jpeg-2876277.JPG
View Quote

All depends on what you're purpose for the rifle is. One of the reasons for the offset dot is to eliminate the need for BUIS.

Also, the SPEAR FCG is completely redesigned from the earlier MCX models.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 10:29:01 PM EDT
[#27]

All depends on what you're purpose for the rifle is. One of the reasons for the offset dot is to eliminate the need for BUIS.

View Quote

I have back up irons on my pistols running an RMR, I’m gonna do the same on my rifles, just one of those things I always do.

And yes, I’m aware it’s redesigned. Earlier Coregon stated it would need a G lever to work with AR LPK, but it must be a different version than the standard MCX lever. I’d be interested to know if the LTs have this kind of firing pin safety lever or if it’s still the old style.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 11:01:06 PM EDT
[#28]

I have back up irons on my pistols running an RMR, I’m gonna do the same on my rifles, just one of those things I always do.

And yes, I’m aware it’s redesigned. Earlier Coregon stated it would need a G lever to work with AR LPK, but it must be a different version than the standard MCX lever. I’d be interested to know if the LTs have this kind of firing pin safety lever or if it’s still the old style.
View Quote

I hadn't seen the internals of the SPEAR until your picture so I was more mentioning it as a "none of this appears interchangeable" comment.

Based on what the latch looks like now, there's no way an MCX G latch would work, unless the SPEAR's latch can be removed and replaced with a Virtus latch...?
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 1:25:45 AM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Spear-LT firing pin safety is drastically different. It's on the side of the carrier retained with a rollpin.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Any updates on when LE SKUs will be available? Preferably in 6.5.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Spear-LT firing pin safety is drastically different. It's on the side of the carrier retained with a rollpin.
View Quote

Interesting. My Gen. 1,2 and rattler are all on top like the SPEAR. I can see how putting it on the side allows standard triggers to work.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:10:03 AM EDT
[#32]
I should have taken a photo, but I was at sheels tonight looking at the SPEAR LT. They let me pull the bolt, sure enough the firing pin safety lever was on the side. That’s a first! But I can see why standard AR FCGs work. Next question is why not do this on the full size SPEAR.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:29:46 AM EDT
[#33]
I should have taken a photo, but I was at sheels tonight looking at the SPEAR LT. They let me pull the bolt, sure enough the firing pin safety lever was on the side. That’s a first! But I can see why standard AR FCGs work. Next question is why not do this on the full size SPEAR.
View Quote

If I were to make a guess, because they had already submitted the current design for the NGSW rifle contract and didn't want to make changes to it that far into testing/development.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 10:04:30 PM EDT
[#34]

If I were to make a guess, because they had already submitted the current design for the NGSW rifle contract and didn't want to make changes to it that far into testing/development.
View Quote

You’re probably right, have to wait for the 2nd Gen. SPEAR.

I sure love the Sig rifles, I have so many, but shit changes like this are a no brainer….
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 12:08:31 AM EDT
[#35]

I sure love the Sig rifles, I have so many, but shit changes like this are a no brainer….
View All Quotes

I'd more blame the military contract over the lack of upgrade than SIG just wanting more money later. Not trying to make excuses but risking a contract over a carrier change that has little benefit for them isn't exactly something they want to rush in on.

If it's anything like the Spear-LT vs Virtus, at least the carrier will be backwards compatible.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 3:47:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: astrocreep96] [#36]
Any mid-range optic suggestions for the Spear?  I have a Razor II HD on my Scar 17, I have been meaning to switch to a Gen 3 with the 1 - 10 and think maybe that would be a good optic for the Spear as well, but the Razor is heavy.

I have a Nightforce 5 - 25 on an M82 but can't imagine putting something that big on the Spear.  I have a Nightforce 1 - 8 on my Spear LT, and a Trijicon Credo 2 - 8 on a Virtus.  I'm thinking maybe another Trijicon with an offset red-dot is a good balance.

I would like to SBR this gun with a 13" barrel and suppressor if they ever become available, maybe even just an ACOG?

Edit - and for what it's worth, I walked into my LGS yesterday looking for suppressors, and they had the Spear sitting on a display shelf for $4,153.  I couldn't say no.

Link Posted: 7/9/2023 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By astrocreep96:
Any mid-range optic suggestions for the Spear?  I have a Razor II HD on my Scar 17, I have been meaning to switch to a Gen 3 with the 1 - 10 and think maybe that would be a good optic for the Spear as well, but the Razor is heavy.

I have a Nightforce 5 - 25 on an M82 but can't imagine putting something that big on the Spear.  I have a Nightforce 1 - 8 on my Spear LT, and a Trijicon Credo 2 - 10 on a Virtus.  I'm thinking maybe another Trijicon with an offset red-dot is a good balance.

I would like to SBR this gun with a 13" barrel and suppressor if they ever become available, maybe even just an ACOG?

Edit - and for what it's worth, I walked into my LGS yesterday looking for suppressors, and they had the Spear sitting on a display shelf for $4,153.  I couldn't say no.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105138/1688875374686-2879984.jpg
View Quote

Vertical SPEAR looks thicc.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#38]

I have a Nightforce 5 - 25 on an M82 but can't imagine putting something that big on the Spear.  I have a Nightforce 1 - 8 on my Spear LT, and a Trijicon Credo 2 - 8 on a Virtus.  I'm thinking maybe another Trijicon with an offset red-dot is a good balance.

View Quote

I have Sig Tango6T, it’s the appropriate optic for the XM7, but It’s not ideal for me. Too low of power, not an ideal 1x and resolution isn’t great.  I almost put a vortex Gen 3 1-10 on it, but decided I’d go with higher mag on this build in anticipation of the 277 barrel and ammo.

If I was sticking with .308, it would be the 1-10 vortex. I have one on a Super Duty and it’s amazing.

Link Posted: 7/10/2023 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Ordered mine 6 months ago, I was told 2 more weeks last week… it’s not easy getting one in CA

I have Tango 6T on a Scalarworks waiting for it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 9:55:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Muffins760] [#40]
DELETE
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By WTR_Warlord:
Ordered mine 6 months ago, I was told 2 more weeks last week… it’s not easy getting one in CA

I have Tango 6T on a Scalarworks waiting for it.
View Quote

Get a Virtual office space In another state and change two proofs of address to it and voila magic you now have a residency in a friendly 2A state.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 11:05:11 PM EDT
[#42]

I have Sig Tango6T, it’s the appropriate optic for the XM7, but It’s not ideal for me. Too low of power, not an ideal 1x and resolution isn’t great.  I almost put a vortex Gen 3 1-10 on it, but decided I’d go with higher mag on this build in anticipation of the 277 barrel and ammo.

If I was sticking with .308, it would be the 1-10 vortex. I have one on a Super Duty and it’s amazing.

View All Quotes

Yeah I think the Razor 3 is the answer.  I looked at the weights on Eurooptic and the gen 3 razor is actually a little lighter than my Trijicon credo.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 8:32:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Croak] [#43]

View Quote

A quality 2-10/2.5-10 FFP (like the Credo) and an offset or top mount dot.  But then again, I'm a convert to the Church of the MPVO.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Croak:

A quality 2-10/2.5-10 FFP (like the Credo) and an offset or top mount dot.  But then again, I'm a convert to the Church of the MPVO.
View Quote

This would be a good option too, but with a 1-10x and 2.5-20 available why do a 2.5-10? If you're willing to go from 1->2.5x on the bottom end, just do the 2.5-20 Nightforce. Why stop at 10x on a 7.62 battle rifle when modern scopes can get you 2.5-20? I guess weight, but the added mag seems worth it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#45]
I think the Razor 1 - 10 makes the most sense for me, although I'd be curious to try a 2 - 10 with an offset reddot to see how the transition is.

I could see how a benchshooting scenario favors one optic, but maybe an MPVO with an offset reddot setup is quicker in other scenarios.

I have enough guns that I could play around with a few setups and see what comes of it.

Still haven't bouht the suppressors I set out to buy last week.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Has anyone removed the muzzle device? Is it right hand threads?
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes.  Normal threads.  

Please, for fuck's sake, use a proper barrel vise, so we don't have to hear whining.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
Yes.  Normal threads.  

Please, for fuck's sake, use a proper barrel vise, so we don't have to hear whining.
View Quote

All good got it off, cut some wood in the contour of the barrel clamped it on the vice and it popped off fairly easily with 20” crescent wrench

Had to order a tapered barrel shoulder adapter for a surefire brake.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#49]

This would be a good option too, but with a 1-10x and 2.5-20 available why do a 2.5-10? If you're willing to go from 1->2.5x on the bottom end, just do the 2.5-20 Nightforce. Why stop at 10x on a 7.62 battle rifle when modern scopes can get you 2.5-20? I guess weight, but the added mag seems worth it.
View Quote

Compared to a 1-10 LVPO, you get better overall glass, better eye box and eye relief, better low-light, just generally more scope for the money since no compromises need to be made for 1x and some semblance of daylight bright/CQB capabilities, and yeah, less weight.

10x is good to at least 800m, even with old man eyes.  Do you need several more ounces of scope and several inches of length for more than that?  Not on a short-ish barrel 7.62 battle rifle, IMO.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 8:13:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WTR_Warlord] [#50]
Finally got mine unfortunately it is neutered for CA almost feel embarrassed posting this…

Probably very few in CA at the moment. Just happy to have one.

Attachment Attached File

Fixed stock/ no flashider and fin grip
Page / 31
MCX Spear (Page 24 of 31)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top