User Panel

MCX Spear (Page 29 of 31)
Page / 31
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#1]
The US Army's New Mk18? The Compact SIG SPEAR ASSAULTER K
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got the big boy .308 spear and while looking it over it felt like the piston rod was pretty stiff. On my spear lt the thing moves freely and is smooth as butter. Anyone know if on the big spear that’s normal? I’ll attach a video of what I mean.

https://imgur.com/a/FLfwRxC
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 4:58:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BonesJons777:
I just got the big boy .308 spear and while looking it over it felt like the piston rod was pretty stiff. On my spear lt the thing moves freely and is smooth as butter. Anyone know if on the big spear that’s normal? I’ll attach a video of what I mean.

https://imgur.com/a/FLfwRxC
View Quote

Same as on my Spear 308 and my Rattler. I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#4]
The Armor-Crushing Power of America's Super Rifle

Normally I only post Mike's videos but this new video popped up in my feed last night, thought it was pretty cool.

Link Posted: 6/1/2024 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Sig finally got my interest worked up enough with the XM7 to give it a try, so I picked this guy up yesterday.  MCX Spear, 16" barrel.

No overly impressed with the OEM stock or box it came in:

But that was soon remedied.  Probably won't be able to shoot it for a week or two, but that gives me time stock up on some .308.

Link Posted: 6/1/2024 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#6]
You're upset about the box?
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
You're upset about the box?
View Quote

Upset?  No.  More like talking smack for the sake of doing so, and because when I bought my SCARs, complaining about their boxes was something new owners frequently engaged in.  But cheaper brands can include a cheap nylon case, and the much maligned original FN SCAR cardboard box at least didn't rely on Styrofoam.  Hell, even the MCX Regulators have padding foam in their boxes.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Is that a B5? Does it fold flat?
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
Is that a B5? Does it fold flat?
View Quote

Yeah, the B5 Bravo stock.  It doesn't really fold flat, but gets to about here and more or less stays in place, at least when fully extended.  

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm not trying to stir the pot, but for those that have the .308 MCX Spear, was it worth it? I really want a 16" .308 to suppress, and I've weighed options from the 716i, DD5 V3, LMT, and now the Spear. But $4,200 is a helluva price to pay.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:26:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SPTiger:
I'm not trying to stir the pot, but for those that have the .308 MCX Spear, was it worth it? I really want a 16" .308 to suppress, and I've weighed options from the 716i, DD5 V3, LMT, and now the Spear. But $4,200 is a helluva price to pay.
View Quote

I really like mine! While heavy it is one of the most easy handling platforms I’ve had.

My only “issue” is that the anodizing on the handguard is a bit weak so I had it cerakoted.

It is NOT a match gun … 1.5-2MOA with quality ball.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:55:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By thehun06:

I really like mine! While heavy it is one of the most easy handling platforms I’ve had.

My only “issue” is that the anodizing on the handguard is a bit weak so I had it cerakoted.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'm very tempted, but damn. I still have to buy an optic and I was already planning on a smaller .30 can. But life is too short to shoot cheap guns.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:23:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zerlak] [#13]

View All Quotes

As he said, the anodizing scratches/scuffs easy on the handguard. I don't care much though as my crap tends to get scuffed up from use.

My 13" Spear has become my favorite rifle to shoot. Awaiting the release or the 277 Fury barrels.

I'm very tempted, but damn. I still have to buy an optic and I was already planning on a smaller .30 can. But life is too short to shoot cheap guns.

Found it online from a few sites in the mid 3ks before. Browse around, the 16" models tend to sell for lower prices than the SBR or pistol.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:52:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#14]

View All Quotes

Yeah. It’s not cheap but Sig did this right. It’s a very dynamic platform if that makes sense …

I run an OG TR24R LPVO on mine ... you can find those fairly affordably ... however ... I wouldn't be opposed to run a ACSS-Nova either on this!
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:45:03 AM EDT
[#15]
@coregon

Did SIG go to a clear ano on the receivers vs the coyote?

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Yeah. It’s not cheap but Sig did this right. It’s a very dynamic platform if that makes sense …

I run an OG TR24R LPVO on mine ... you can find those fairly affordably ... however ... I wouldn't be opposed to run a ACSS-Nova either on this!
View All Quotes

Whatever I end up with is gonna have an ACOG on it. Love those things.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah. I run a LPVO ACOG … lol … TR24R
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#18]
@coregon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCFrSa_2DQk
View Quote

No.  Some of the early guns were definitely lighter, but no change.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By coregon:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By coregon:
@coregon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCFrSa_2DQk

Thanks @coregon can’t wait to see what’s next for the platform!
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 11:58:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alpha-17] [#20]
Howdy folks.  Finally go the Spear out to the range yesterday, and while the rifle performed more or less as expected, I did have an issue on and off throughout the day.  Every so often the rifle would fail to feed the last round in a magazine.  Early on in the day, it seemed to smash the round in question, bending it pretty badly and denting the case.  Later on in the day, the damage to the cartridge wasn't too severe, and I just had to rack it to load the round.  Here's a video from late in the day with the easier issue:

Video

Any ideas on cause?  Ammo used was a mix; PMC, IMI 150gr, Winchester/Lake City M80 ball all had issues.  Magazines are new or mostly new MagPul LR/SR PMags or Lancer L7AWMs.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 8:22:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Alpha-17:
Howdy folks.  Finally go the Spear out to the range yesterday, and while the rifle performed more or less as expected, I did have an issue on and off throughout the day.  Every so often the rifle would fail to feed the last round in a magazine.  Early on in the day, it seemed to smash the round in question, bending it pretty badly and denting the case.  Later on in the day, the damage to the cartridge wasn't too severe, and I just had to rack it to load the round.  Here's a video from late in the day with the easier issue:

Video

Any ideas on cause?  Ammo used was a mix; PMC, IMI 150gr, Winchester/Lake City M80 ball all had issues.  Magazines are new or mostly new MagPul LR/SR PMags or Lancer L7AWMs.
View Quote

To me, the gun seemed not well placed in your shoulder and moved quite a bit as you were shooting it ... think of it like when shooting a handgun and you have a limp wrist issue ... I think your gear isn't allowing your rifle to be very stationary ... try running the gun firmly in your shoulder pocket without all that stuff on and see ...

Another thing ... did you clean your chamber when you got your new gun? Sig uses a preservative and if you don't clean it out ... it gums up your chamber area ... so use a brass 308 chamber cleaner and get it cleaned out if you haven't ...
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 9:00:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alpha-17] [#22]

To me, the gun seemed not well placed in your shoulder and moved quite a bit as you were shooting it ... think of it like when shooting a handgun and you have a limp wrist issue ... I think your gear isn't allowing your rifle to be very stationary ... try running the gun firmly in your shoulder pocket without all that stuff on and see ...

Another thing ... did you clean your chamber when you got your new gun? Sig uses a preservative and if you don't clean it out ... it gums up your chamber area ... so use a brass 308 chamber cleaner and get it cleaned out if you haven't ...
View Quote

Yes, the gun was cleaned before hand.  Cleaned, swabbed, and relubbed.  

I very much doubt it was due to the rifle moving, as most problems I experienced were firing from a prone supported position, with no kit, earlier in the day.
And really, if a combat rifle can't be fired reliably in suboptimal positions, then it's got a serious problem.

But, thank you for the ideas.  Not getting much feedback on this issue.

I did notice when I cleaned the rifle that the bottom of the bolt appeared to be scraping the top round in the mag.  All my recovered brass show wear marks of that, and the bolt has a series of brass lines on the bottom.  I also found a fair amount of brass shavings in the chamber/upper receiver.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#23]

I very much doubt it was due to the rifle moving, as most problems I experienced were firing from a prone supported position, with no kit, earlier in the day.
And really, if a combat rifle can't be fired reliably in suboptimal positions, then it's got a serious problem.

I did notice when I cleaned the rifle that the bottom of the bolt appeared to be scraping the top round in the mag.  All my recovered brass show wear marks of that, and the bolt has a series of brass lines on the bottom.  I also found a fair amount of brass shavings in the chamber/upper receiver.
View All Quotes

Was it in suppressed mode?
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#24]

Was it in suppressed mode?
View Quote

To the best of my knowledge, no.  Gas valve was in the vertical/12 o'clock position all day.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 11:26:45 PM EDT
[#25]
6.8x51 Spear on the way.

Updated upper and handguard too. Was looking at just the barrel but might need to try for a full new setup. Ugh
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 2:02:17 AM EDT
[#26]
This pleases me, glad I didn't buy one yet cause I love the look of the new handguard.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Neat that it has the upgraded upper.  I like .277 Fury/6.8 on paper, but I wouldn't want to try and feed the thing with current prices.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 1:05:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Neat that it has the upgraded upper.  I like .277 Fury/6.8 on paper, but I wouldn't want to try and feed the thing with current prices.
View Quote

Own a .308 of some sort or .308 Spear setup.

Shoot cheap .308 ammo.

Take .308 brass and resize to 6.8x51.

Reload the 6.8x51, when dies are available.

Granted, won't be the hybrid high pressure stuff and would be a lot of work but would still be fun.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Zerlak:

Own a .308 of some sort or .308 Spear setup.

Shoot cheap .308 ammo.

Take .308 brass and resize to 6.8x51.

Reload the 6.8x51, when dies are available.

Granted, won't be the hybrid high pressure stuff and would be a lot of work but would still be fun.
View Quote

Might be worth doing at some point for cheap blasting ammo.  But, at that point, hopefully 6.8x51/.277 Fury cases are available as well. (including the hybrid cases, which can be had now)
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Surely they'll sell complete 6.8 uppers... Right?
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 12:12:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Iccirrus:
Surely they'll sell complete 6.8 uppers... Right?
View Quote

Eventually, can't see why they wouldn't. Problem is, that'll be a while.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Might be worth doing at some point for cheap blasting ammo.  But, at that point, hopefully 6.8x51/.277 Fury cases are available as well. (including the hybrid cases, which can be had now)
View Quote

Yeah, cheap training ammo, or lower recoil ammo for competition or just putting less wear and tear on your gat.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#33]
I want to know when those mags will be available.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By FluxIntegral:
I want to know when those mags will be available.
View Quote

Are those SIG mags?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:

Are those SIG mags?
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#36]

"The latest development, the MCX Lightweight, will also be exhibited and presented at the SIG Sauer Eurosatory stand."

Is this legit?    
Any detail on weight difference from civilian variant, and is it going to hit the civilian market too?

https://www.all4shooters.com/en/shooting/pro-zone/sig-sauer-shows-the-defence-programme-at-eurosatory-2024/
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Helvet:

"The latest development, the MCX Lightweight, will also be exhibited and presented at the SIG Sauer Eurosatory stand."

Any detail on weight difference from civilian variant, and is it going to hit the civilian market too?

https://www.all4shooters.com/en/shooting/pro-zone/sig-sauer-shows-the-defence-programme-at-eurosatory-2024/
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/28/2024 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Helvet:

Is this legit?    

View Quote

Do believe that's meaning the Spear-LT and not the XM7 full size Spear.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 7:22:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Roadblock] [#39]
6.8x51 Spear on the way.

Updated upper and handguard too. Was looking at just the barrel but might need to try for a full new setup. Ugh
View Quote

I can't tell you how bad I want this rail for the 16" 308! I don't use the rail screws, so I don't use the QD sockets. This new rail just looks much cleaner.

@coregon

Will we be able to buy these rails soon?

Also will SIG ever offer that second rail that comes with the SURG separate?
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:13:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Is the 6.8 without the forward assist gonna be a limited edition item or regular production?
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Well. it looks like I'm joining the Spear owner's club. I won the bid on a .308 Spear on Gunbroken last night. If anyone here is the one I outbid, I'm sorry. I never thought I would end up with the winning bid, and I only went $125 over what I said was my highest bid.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Well. it looks like I'm joining the Spear owner's club. I won the bid on a .308 Spear on Gunbroken last night. If anyone here is the one I outbid, I'm sorry. I never thought I would end up with the winning bid, and I only went $125 over what I said was my highest bid.
View Quote

NICE!!!
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 2:19:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Is the 8" Raptor 7.62 shown a while back still in the cards?
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By arwoodie:
Is the 8" Raptor 7.62 shown a while back still in the cards?
View Quote

I haven’t heard anytime. If anything it will be a 9” variant like the 6.8x51 version …
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 9:04:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Does anyone know the exact optic and reticle that the SIG 13" .277 Fury demonstration rifles are using? It looks to be some variant of the Tango6T. However can anyone confirm the reticle? Is it just using a ballistically calibrated drop reticle based off of 5.56 ballistics? Or is there a unique one that can be used for the 13" SBR with the 110gr. solid copper, steel/brass training rounds? I'd like to piece together a build list and wanted to be sure of which optic to use.

Here is some info I found through an internet search, but in this instance the scope has a 5.56 calibrated reticle. I imagine there would be one for .277 Fury?
"Hellfire DWLR-556 FFP"
https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/review-sig-sauer-tango6t-and-alpha4-mount/
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#46]
That is without question one of the sickest looking rifles in existence. It looks even better without the forward assist and the new handguard/rail.

I was going to pony up the cash for a SURG upper, but this sexy bitch is calling to me as well...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 7:08:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Roadblock] [#47]
That is without question one of the sickest looking rifles in existence. It looks even better without the forward assist and the new handguard/rail.

I was going to pony up the cash for a SURG upper, but this sexy bitch is calling to me as well...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/269084/SIG_Spear_png-3255499.JPG
View Quote
Not sure what I think about the no forward assist. Kind of glad I got one that has it.

That said, I LOVE that new rail! I plan to buy one as soon as they offer them as a spare part. Bent that windows area on the one that came with mine.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 9:56:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Roadblock:
Not sure what I think about the no forward assist. Kind of glad I got one that has it.

That said, I LOVE that new rail! I plan to buy one as soon as they offer them as a spare part. Bent that windows area on the one that came with mine.
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/269084/SIG_Spear_png-3255499.JPG

Yeah I like the forward assist myself too and with you … that rail needs to be released ASAP!!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#49]

I can't tell you how bad I want this rail for the 16" 308! I don't use the rail screws, so I don't use the QD sockets. This new rail just looks much cleaner.

@coregon

View All Quotes
6.8x51 Spear on the way.

@coregon

Yes, components will be available.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By call_me_ski:
Is the 6.8 without the forward assist gonna be a limited edition item or regular production?
View Quote

That is how NGSW is being delivered (After end user feedback), so it will be the configuration going forward.
Page / 31
MCX Spear (Page 29 of 31)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top