BCM
User Panel

MCX Spear (Page 9 of 31)
Page / 31
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SMFdarkangel:

My understanding is that 277 SIG FURY and 6.8x51mm Hybrid are the same cartridge.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SMFdarkangel:
Originally Posted By lordhuck:

So the .277 sig fury and the 6.8 x 51 are not the same?  Or are they?

My understanding is that 277 SIG FURY and 6.8x51mm Hybrid are the same cartridge.

That’s my understanding as well, that they are the same. Similar to .308 Winchester vs 7.62x51. One is the commercial round and the other is a military round designation.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 2:03:17 AM EDT
[#2]
8" .308? I don't get it
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 9:53:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By GrAvril:
8" .308? I don't get it
View Quote

I don't think it's meant to be understood at all. Apart from giving an option so someone can only then need to carry a conversion kit in addition to their more sensibly-sized rifle, as opposed to a complete separate gun such as a Rattler. It makes no sense as a standalone option.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#4]
8” .308 I know will have a lot of unburnt powder. But performance wise, wouldn’t it be similar to supersonic .300 BLK if not slightly better performance? +/- 2000 FPS with a 150-168 gr projectile?
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By cheekibreeki:

I don't think it's meant to be understood at all. Apart from giving an option so someone can only then need to carry a conversion kit in addition to their more sensibly-sized rifle, as opposed to a complete separate gun such as a Rattler. It makes no sense as a standalone option.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cheekibreeki:
8" .308? I don't get it

Ammunition commonality with the new infantry rifle in a carbine-sized weapon for armor crews, or mechanized infantry, maybe? It’s a head scratcher, but then again, the 277 is still pretty badass out of a short barrel.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#6]
~8" is appealing in "other" calibers.  But, will have a commercial offering in 308/6.5CM for ammunition commonality.  Understand, we're doing things/providing offerings because they are asked for to fulfill, sometimes, very niche needs.  

Like MCX/LVAW, the SPEAR/NGSW offerings have, essentially, unlimited possibilities.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By coregon:
~8" is appealing in "other" calibers.  But, will have a commercial offering in 308/6.5CM for ammunition commonality.  Understand, we're doing things/providing offerings because they are asked for to fulfill, sometimes, very niche needs.  

Like MCX/LVAW, the SPEAR/NGSW offerings have, essentially, unlimited possibilities.
View Quote
I'm thinking something like 8.6 Blackout.

But with the 3-part case, because fuck your shitty Chicom body armor.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 11:16:52 PM EDT
[#8]
8" .308? I don't get it
View Quote

Do I understand it?

Not totally.

Do I want one?

Link Posted: 10/19/2021 12:17:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tranzformer] [#9]
Originally Posted By Sniper3142:

Do I understand it?

Not totally.

Do I want one?

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/80534992.jpg

View Quote

Any reason you couldn't make a 7.62x51/.308 "Fury?" All it is metal base + locking washer + brass case. Give you the ability to run the pressure much higher. I know the .277 Fury is at 80,000 psi.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 9:41:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By tranzformer:

Any reason you couldn't make a 7.62x51/.308 "Fury?" All it is metal base + locking washer + brass case. Give you the ability to run the pressure much higher. I know the .277 Fury is at 80,000 psi.
View All Quotes

Do I understand it?

Not totally.

Do I want one?

There's no reason why many "traditional" calibers wont be made with the new case technology
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Now I understand..

Link Posted: 10/19/2021 12:18:31 PM EDT
[#12]

There's no reason why many "traditional" calibers wont be made with the new case technology
View All Quotes

Do I understand it?

Not totally.

Do I want one?

Will you hit .308 performance (or close) out of a .300blk rifle without modifications?
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 4:04:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
Will you hit .308 performance (or close) out of a .300blk rifle without modifications?
View Quote

Or get 224 Valk performance out of a 223 Hybrid case? It's a pretty cool technology.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Gives Sig lots of options to offer military/law enforcement in terms of capabilities. The NGSW/Spear is an awesome gun with lots of potential. But the hybrid case design is really fascinating when you think about how it could be used.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 9:11:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lordhuck] [#15]
Fascinating.

I was under the impression (apparently incorrectly) that Sig didn't want the new hybrid tech used on existing calibers for fear of causing a catastrophic failure in older firearms not manufactured with the extreme chamber pressure in mind that is generated by the new Hybrid ammo.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 9:21:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Fascinating.

I was under the impression (apparently incorrectly) that Sig didn't want the new hybrid tech used on existing calibers for fear of causing a catastrophic failure in older firearms not manufactured with the extreme chamber pressure in mind that is generated by the new Hybrid ammo.
View Quote

There’s an education piece of this, especially in the commercial market.

You have somewhat similar scenarios now - 270Win vs 270Wby, 300WM vs 300Norma vs 300PRC.  There are also examples such as .30+ caliber suppressors that are rated ONLY for subsonic Ammo vs those with the same bore diameter that are magnum rated.

There will be examples where there is more overlap than others.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 6:06:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Ok. Hear me out here. 8.6Blk hybrid case. Max pressure supersonic, with a heavy long subsonic option. 8" barrel. Oh hells yeah.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Since Sig's not going to SHOT, I guess the release doesn't have to wait then.

I'd really like to see some potential velocities/energies from various hybrid cases. 8.6 launching a nice heavy supersonic would be sweet.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#20]
A 8-9” 8.6 BLK Spear sounds like a fun gun.

How is the .277 Fury (6.8x51) in terms of subsonic rounds? Any good heavy 6.8mm projectiles?
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#21]
A 8-9” 8.6 BLK Spear sounds like a fun gun.

How is the .277 Fury (6.8x51) in terms of subsonic rounds? Any good heavy 6.8mm projectiles?
View Quote

There have been some guys doing subsonic options with the 6.8 Wolverine, or .277 Wolverine. Whatever they call it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Found this during my daily internet searches for Spear/NGSW news.

From Reddit:

jwannem
4 days ago
Additional comment actions
I just left the USAMU. We're doin all the testing on the projectiles and loads and we have a large hand in the testing of the rifles.

SIG is definitely going to win. The other two are having huge accuracy issues. They can't get the new style ammo to jump to the lands(rifling grooves) consistently. Traditional (and SIG) ammo has a distance, measured in thousandths of an inch, that the projectile has to move before it engages the rifling. With this new ammo, the projectile is completely encased so it's more like a full half inch it has to travel before the rifling grabs it. All it takes is a tiny bit of yaw in the projectile before it hits rifling and that bullet is gonna have a fucky flight path.

Science

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2021 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#23]
TVCM isn't completely encased.

However, I do beleive your guy.

I listened to last week's Weekly Defense Podcast episode on AUSA'21. Textron NGSW was completely AWOL from the conference, and the True Velocity team was dwarfed by Sig's presence at the show. They certainly made it look like they were going to win.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 9:45:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: erwos] [#24]
EDIT: got my bullpup guys confused.

TVCM was never going to win with a bullpup. Someone over there needs to be fired for using that as their submission form factor. By all means, make one LATER after you win. TVCM not winning makes me sad because I think we need to make the jump to plastic cartridges EVENTUALLY, and this is just going to slow that down.

I think Sig's problem is going to be scaling manufacturing; I've heard rumors that they're still having problems with .277 Fury case manufacture, which is why there's no commercial ammo available.

It is entirely possible that none of them will win.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By erwos:
Textron was never going to win with a bullpup. Someone over there needs to be fired for using that as their submission form factor. By all means, make one LATER after you win.

TVCM not winning makes me sad because I think we need to make the jump to plastic cartridges EVENTUALLY, and this is just going to slow that down.

I think Sig's problem is going to be scaling manufacturing; I've heard rumors that they're still having problems with .277 Fury case manufacture, which is why there's no commercial ammo available.

It is entirely possible that none of them will win.
View Quote

Textron does not have a bullpup submission.  That would be TV.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 10:39:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By call_me_ski:

Textron does not have a bullpup submission.  That would be TV.
View Quote

That's even worse. Ugh.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:

I listened to last week's Weekly Defense Podcast episode on AUSA'21. Textron NGSW was completely AWOL from the conference, and the True Velocity team was dwarfed by Sig's presence at the show. They certainly made it look like they were going to win.
View Quote
Just listened. Seemed like just a short blurb.

Someone once said that the other two look like futuristic designs that will never get made, and it looks like Sig could start pushing these out tomorrow if they wanted. I'm thinking that's the case. We're rapidly approaching the limit of the metallic cartridge. Even if the 3-part doesn't work out, Sig could drop the Spear on the civilian/military market as a replacement for a large frame AR and still have customers. The others can't.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 7:53:02 AM EDT
[#28]

Someone once said that the other two look like futuristic designs that will never get made, and it looks like Sig could start pushing these out tomorrow if they wanted. I'm thinking that's the case. We're rapidly approaching the limit of the metallic cartridge. Even if the 3-part doesn't work out, Sig could drop the Spear on the civilian/military market as a replacement for a large frame AR and still have customers. The others can't.
View All Quotes

Yeah. The one thing I like about the TV round though is how they've shown that pretty much every 762 gun in inventory could be converted to 6.8TVCM with a simple barrel swap. That's a huge bonus for the big Army, and across the DOD. Sig's round may not be so easy to adopt since maybe not every gun can handle that pressure and surely gas systems would need to be adjusted on top of that.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Yeah. The one thing I like about the TV round though is how they've shown that pretty much every 762 gun in inventory could be converted to 6.8TVCM with a simple barrel swap. That's a huge bonus for the big Army, and across the DOD. Sig's round may not be so easy to adopt since maybe not every gun can handle that pressure and surely gas systems would need to be adjusted on top of that.
View All Quotes

the flip side of that is you lose ALL benefit of the new ammo, they're not going to achieve the programs intended velocity out of conventional barrel lengths, there's a reason TV went with a 22 inch barreled Bullpup. SIGs guns are also capable of running legacy ammunition, whether a barrel swap to 7.62 NATO or maybe even just a brass cased 6.8x51, we've already seen demos of them running their belt fed in 6.5 Creedmoor. I would also venture since the form factor is so close to 7.62 NATO they could do a barrel swap for 240s, maybe a bolt and chamber upgrade to handle the pressures as well. SIGs guns buy the army time to upgrade facilities if they can handle 762 nato or even conventional 6.8x51 for training purposes.  TV just buys them useless guns, limp wristed ammo that doesn't do anything better than 762 nato except weigh less. in which case, they could just buy plastic 7.62 nato. and ideally poly cased .50 cal for weight savings on the birds.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By GraniteStateMike:

the flip side of that is you lose ALL benefit of the new ammo, they're not going to achieve the programs intended velocity out of conventional barrel lengths, there's a reason TV went with a 22 inch barreled Bullpup. SIGs guns are also capable of running legacy ammunition, whether a barrel swap to 7.62 NATO or maybe even just a brass cased 6.8x51, we've already seen demos of them running their belt fed in 6.5 Creedmoor. I would also venture since the form factor is so close to 7.62 NATO they could do a barrel swap for 240s, maybe a bolt and chamber upgrade to handle the pressures as well. SIGs guns buy the army time to upgrade facilities if they can handle 762 nato or even conventional 6.8x51 for training purposes.  TV just buys them useless guns, limp wristed ammo that doesn't do anything better than 762 nato except weigh less. in which case, they could just buy plastic 7.62 nato. and ideally poly cased .50 cal for weight savings on the birds.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GraniteStateMike:

Oh yeah, for sure it would really only make sense for the TVCM stuff on longer barrels if they want to achieve the crazy velocities, but normal velocities could be had with all the other benefits of the poly ammo.

That said, When Sig made the MCX Spear, they basically just took the MCX-MR and updated it, apparently not very much. So, maybe it isn't hard to adopt a weapon to hybrid case high pressure. The MCX-MR was originally in .308 and 6.5Creed.

Link Posted: 10/27/2021 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I would think just a caliber change and probably an adjustment to the gas system/unlocking time for most 7.62 weapons. That should be a huge selling feature.

Now let's talk about a 3-part case on a .50 BMG SLAP round.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 7:22:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Coalkoy] [#32]
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/true-velocity-honored-with-guns--ammo-innovation-of-the-year-award-301408759.html

"True Velocity and partner LoneStar Future Weapons are one of the final two teams remaining in the U.S. Army's Next Generation Squad Weapon Program (NGSW) – an initiative aimed at enhancing the effectiveness of U.S. warfighters through new, cutting-edge weapons systems and ammunition. The NGSW selection is expected to culminate in January 2022. Their offerings include a composite-cased 6.8TVCM round as well as semi-automatic and fully automatic rifles designed to fire it."

https://soldiersystems.net/2021/10/11/ausa-21-sig-spear-update/

SIG may have fell off test train.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 7:44:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Coalkoy:

View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 9:17:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Coalkoy:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/true-velocity-honored-with-guns--ammo-innovation-of-the-year-award-301408759.html

"True Velocity and partner LoneStar Future Weapons are one of the final two teams remaining in the U.S. Army's Next Generation Squad Weapon Program (NGSW) – an initiative aimed at enhancing the effectiveness of U.S. warfighters through new, cutting-edge weapons systems and ammunition. The NGSW selection is expected to culminate in January 2022. Their offerings include a composite-cased 6.8TVCM round as well as semi-automatic and fully automatic rifles designed to fire it."

https://soldiersystems.net/2021/10/11/ausa-21-sig-spear-update/

View Quote

Textron is the company TV is alluding too. Their NGSW variants were conspicuously no shows at AUSA earlier in the month, leading to much speculation among the defense blogs and pundits. Soldier Systems in the comments of that article you posted mentioned this and that Textron was no comment on NGSW progress.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Any more news about it?

Speculation on release date?

I really want a disassembly video/field strip pics.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 3:15:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Any more news about it?

View Quote

Final decision regarding NGSW suppose to be made January 2022. Few more months we should know officially. Winner suppose to be fielded Q4? of 2022 from what I remember reading.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Final decision regarding NGSW suppose to be made January 2022. Few more months we should know officially. Winner suppose to be fielded Q4? of 2022 from what I remember reading.
View All Quotes
Any more news about it?

You forgot to factor in the "Protest" to the decision which will stretch the timeline a little.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 8:27:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By voodochild:

You forgot to factor in the "Protest" to the decision which will stretch the timeline until it gets cancelled.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By voodochild:
Any more news about it?

You forgot to factor in the "Protest" to the decision which will stretch the timeline until it gets cancelled.

Fixed a little typo  
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Apparently, it's called the Raptor. I can't stand this guy's channel, but this popped up in my feed.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/15/2021 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Apparently, it's called the Raptor. I can't stand this guy's channel, but this popped up in my feed.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/356105/D8B1F299-3A14-47BD-9EE2-DC35F07A185A_png-2168080.JPG
View Quote

Only one version of it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#41]

Only one version of it.
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/356105/D8B1F299-3A14-47BD-9EE2-DC35F07A185A_png-2168080.JPG

Only one version of it.
I figured just the Rattler equivalent.

So, if Santa has a budget of $3k, will he need more money, and will a Spear of some variety arrive in my stocking on time?
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#42]
I figured just the Rattler equivalent.

So, if Santa has a budget of $3k, will he need more money, and will a Spear of some variety arrive in my stocking on time?
View Quote

For it to be available in time for your stocking, more monies.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#43]
As long as it's there.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 11:26:25 AM EDT
[#44]
More Spear video:

NGSW Spear 6.8mm Full Interview with Expert

Link Posted: 11/23/2021 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Worst article I've read yet.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboot/mcx-spear-sig-sauers-entry-replace-m249-squad-automatic-weapon-196665

Obviously the author has no firearm experience.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 12:41:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Article written November 20th but has such gems such as: “The military will be selecting one of the three companies by October of 2021.”

Reading the article gave me a headache.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#47]
I need the Spear in 6.8 to pair with my SCAR 17

I prefer side charging handles so I am glad to see SIG incorporated both a side charger and t-handle on the Spear.  Options for everyone!

Can't wait for it to come out.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Zeebz:
I need the Spear in 6.8 to pair with my SCAR 17

I prefer side charging handles so I am glad to see SIG incorporated both a side charger and t-handle on the Spear.  Options for everyone!

Can't wait for it to come out.
View Quote

That's the thing. It's just well thought out by people who actually shoot. Even stuff like the side charging 'locking' in the folded position so it doesn't snag on gear. You can tell a lot of thought went into this. I usually don't get too caught up in hype for new guns. But this one I'm excited about.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By HALFNATTYGAINZ:

That's the thing. It's just well thought out by people who actually shoot. Even stuff like the side charging 'locking' in the folded position so it doesn't snag on gear. You can tell a lot of thought went into this. I usually don't get too caught up in hype for new guns. But this one I'm excited about.
View Quote

Part of me was hoping that in the final version of the Spear that the rear T charging handle would be deleted as it's now superfluous with the side charger and is just another avenue for gas to escape into the users face while shooting suppressed.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#50]

Part of me was hoping that in the final version of the Spear that the rear T charging handle would be deleted as it's now superfluous with the side charger and is just another avenue for gas to escape into the users face while shooting suppressed.
View Quote

Nah, if you design the charging handle in the right manner you won't even notice the gas escaping through there.
Page / 31
MCX Spear (Page 9 of 31)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top