Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2024 8:48:18 PM EDT
Mine runs a bit unreliability. Factory and reloaded ammo. I’m assuming the gas port is fouled. Anyone in Ohio (northern) that can work on these?

I have the tools and some talent, but can’t find a diagram or more in depth disassembly drawings or information. Even in dad’s older books.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bigbore:

Where in Northern OH?  Are you sure your expectations are realistic? What malfunctions are you having? I've shot several and none have ever been truly reliable. It's extremely unlikely your gas port is fouled.  Are you shooting new privi?  Have you swapped bolts/extractors, and gas pistons?   Magazines?
View Quote

@bigbore

Akron area
Privi and my reloads according to Cartridges of the Wolrd and internet references.
I have 1 mag only
No other parts either.
Maybe I need new springs, I haven’t tried that
Gun fires but does not cycle the next round in full or semi
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#3]
StG 44: full disassembly & assembly
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 11:22:11 PM EDT
[#6]

It's cool to see them come apart, but without the tools to do it real life.....
View Quote

Yeah I know it's not that easy. But having a good visual representation of how the parts assemble is a good start. That app has helped me out quite a few times with different guns
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 7:35:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Unfortunately, the STG/MP43 44 is not a "shooter" gun, it's a collector gun at it's age and parts availability.  Mine comes out once ever few years.

Does the empty case fully eject?
you can try a new recoil spring - here

If you ever want to drive a few hours north we can swap in my spare parts that I know are good and see what happens.  You may have  a worn piston.  Hopefully your gas tube isn't corroded.  Those are a PITA to swap out.
View Quote

@bigbore
Ejects, but doesn’t chamber next round
I have only shot it like 4 times in my life. I was kind of trying to get it to run a bit better in case I decide to sell. I’d get a better price that way
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Oscardeuce,

Wasn't your old man the one who had an entire room full of MGs? I remember a pic of dozens of mgs with some gems in the center.

Genuinely curious on this one though, does the reliability even effect the value?  I mean they're paying for the transfer-ability, when I see transferable side plates selling for nearly the same price as complete guns.

Link Posted: 8/25/2024 12:21:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: oscardeuce] [#10]
Originally Posted By ggllggll:
Oscardeuce,

Wasn't your old man the one who had an entire room full of MGs? I remember a pic of dozens of mgs with some gems in the center.

Genuinely curious on this one though, does the reliability even effect the value?  I mean they're paying for the transfer-ability, when I see transferable side plates selling for nearly the same price as complete guns.

View Quote

He had a respectable collection. Even had a couple of UH-1Hs tanks jeeps and assorted other vehicles

@ggllggll
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Is the MP43 a REWAT or a reweld? Either of those can have their own unique issues, especially a REWAT with its original barrel.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Stahlgewehr762:
Is the MP43 a REWAT or a reweld? Either of those can have their own unique issues, especially a REWAT with its original barrel.
View Quote

@stahlgewehr762
Not a rebuild of any kind glad far as I know. I doubt my dad would have bought one
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:32:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: oscardeuce] [#14]
@bigbore

@stahlgewehr762

I took out my borescope and took some photos

The OD of the op rod is 14.3 mm

Attachment Attached File

I found the gas port from the barrel and confirmed it’s open with a brass cleaning rod down the barrel

Attachment Attached File

The op Rod in the gas tube
Attachment Attached File

Are these ports adjustable? They’re wide open basically
Attachment Attached File

Gas tube looks clean

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Ports are not adjustable.  Switch your calipers to American.  Mine is .589
View Quote

@bigbore
I’m a bit smaller at .572
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#17]
As noted many mP44/43’s can be unreliable. Couple of questions:

Start: how does it not feed? Does bolt move back fully and jam up on return or does it not move out of battery at all?  If it moves fully back see below:

1. Is stock tight?  If loose bolt won’t have energy to come back from rear movement due to recoil spring dragging.

2. Are you using OEM magazine or reproduction? OEM most reliable.

3. If you hold mag from bottom and push up and forward will it cycle reliably?

4. Does frame appear concentric and straight. If you can see distortion, that will slow down the bolt.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By bd_p98:
As noted many mP44/43’s can be unreliable. Couple of questions:

Start: how does it not feed? Does bolt move back fully and jam up on return or does it not move out of battery at all?  If it moves fully back see below:
Does not seem to fully retract,  it it has been awhile since I shot it
1. Is stock tight?  If loose bolt won’t have energy to come back from rear movement due to recoil spring dragging.
stock tight spring seems strong

2. Are you using OEM magazine or reproduction? OEM most reliable.

OEM WWII

3. If you hold mag from bottom and push up and forward will it cycle reliably?
No

4. Does frame appear concentric and straight. If you can see distortion, that will slow down the bolt.
View Quote

No distortion I can see
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I have an MP44 and an STG44.

I have mags that work in one but not the other. They are very sensitive to mags.

Have you tried several mags?
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 5:27:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By oscardeuce:
Mine runs a bit unreliability. Factory and reloaded ammo. I’m assuming the gas port is fouled. Anyone in Ohio (northern) that can work on these?

I have the tools and some talent, but can’t find a diagram or more in depth disassembly drawings or information. Even in dad’s older books.

Thanks
View Quote

These guns are mid war production guns and aren't the best.  With that said, I had Bob Naess work over my MP44 when it was having problems, and he solved them for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top