Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2019 2:57:40 AM EDT
Looking for a dedicated suppressor for my z-5p.   This will be the only gun the can is used on, unless I end up with a z-5rs as well.  Maximum sound suppression is the goal.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 3:09:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Well I have an Obsidian .45 can and love it. They have 3lug mount for both thus I would get either the .45 or 9mm of either with the three lug and put on it. I got the end cap and piston for 9mm for mine and works just as well with subs in 9mm. Even in the short configuration. Plus can be used for subs in .300BO. Haven't tried it yet since need a different adapter for my .300bo barrel. Yet for my 9mmPCC I am looking at the 3 lug and adapter for the obsidian can for it since don't have to keep checking that it is screwed all the way on. I went .45 cause I shoot different calibers than just 9mm. Will work for any handgun from 9mm-45acp. Now I just need to get a threaded barrel for my Glock 20.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 4:36:34 AM EDT
[#2]
3 lug mount is essential.  I also have an Obsidian .45 and love it on my Z-5P in short config.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 5:14:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I got an Omega 9K for my PTR9. I can’t comment on how it works as I’m still waiting for its jailed release. I figure I’ve got another 8 months.
Here it is during a somewhat recent conjugal visit. The PTR now has the sliding brace. I have high hopes for it being a fun setup.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:Maximum sound suppression is the goal.
View Quote
Are you sure this is the goal?  If yes, I think the MK9K is your winner.  But even the new one is 18.2 oz.

That was the goal of my first suppressor and I ended up with a beast that turned my SBRs into muskets.  I used to hike and shoot on my land so having something lighter/handier made shooting more enjoyable.  I think maximum sound suppression is like 3rd or 4th on my list.

I think most people who buy multiple suppressors end up doing the same thing.  They chase decibels.  And then they buy something like the Omega 9k or a modular.

The Obsidian 45 has been great on the MP5/MP5K and I wish the 9mm version was sold first.  On your list, the Obsidian 9 or Wolfman would get my vote.  But I don't think they are quieter than the MK9K.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I voted GSL Phoenix because mine is in jail.  And it’s the only one I saw that reduces sound by 40db.

Link Posted: 11/3/2019 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#8]
If maximum suppression is the goal the only one to get is the Phoenix.  Pretty simple.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I run a Griffin Optimus on mine with Speer Lawman 147gr.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#10]
The Wolfman or Obsidian 9 will give you both quiet and ability to go short.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:38:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a TiRant-M on my MP5.  Very happy with it.

It is quieter than many others we tested here at the shop.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If maximum suppression is the goal the only one to get is the Phoenix.  Pretty simple.
View Quote
I guess the question is, is it a lot quieter than the others.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a TiRant-M on my MP5.  Very happy with it.

It is quieter than many others we tested here at the shop.
View Quote
This is what will be going on mine once it is released from jail.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 2:42:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I guess the question is, is it a lot quieter than the others.
View Quote
Reading specs from all the others before I bought mine, 32 dB was the average sound suppression. GSL advertises 40 dB.   That’s quite significant.  It’s a coaxial design.  Not just a tube with baffles.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I’d go with the Wolfman. It’s user configurable and sounds good with both configurations and is built about as strong as you could want for a pistol can. Also is backed by a great company with a good history. The Rugged obsidian 9 is good as well but is more of a handgun can. Sounds good on a mp5 but is smaller in diameter and therefore isn’t as quiet.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#16]
From my understanding the GSL is a great can but you have to run it on a full auto to notice a difference between it and the Wolfman.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Went old school years ago. Works on my MP5 and UMP 9mm along with all other 3 lug setups.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 7:10:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Omega 9k with Rugged 3 lug on a Zenith RS is pretty nice.  Short, light, handy, but it's a k can.

Got a Wolfman in jail, which I'm guessing will match the 9k performance when short, but then go full grin quiet when long or wiped.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Is there any good independent metering data out there on the Omega 9k on PCCs running 147s or 158s? Specifically an MP5 or even a scorpion would do
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 1:29:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is there any good independent metering data out there on the Omega 9k on PCCs running 147s or 158s? Specifically an MP5 or even a scorpion would do
View Quote
My Uzi w/O9k and 147gr Speer lawman TMJ sounds great. No meter data.

I show Rugged's MP5 Full Auto with an Obsidian yesterday and was extremely impressed with how it sounded.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 11:06:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I have the Omega 9K on the exact same gun.  No regrets.  Dig the size and the sound suppression.  Especially with subs.  Guys at classes or at the range are always amazed.  Can't compare it to anything else other than my Griffin Revo9 in K configuration which also sounds good.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 11:41:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Reading specs from all the others before I bought mine, 32 dB was the average sound suppression. GSL advertises 40 dB.   That’s quite significant.  It’s a coaxial design.  Not just a tube with baffles.
View Quote
MFG specs are worthless.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 1:31:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I shot an Omega 9k and Hybrid on my friend’s MP5 today both 3-lug mounted and with .30cal front cap on the Hybrid.  To spectators both were quiet but we were shooting supersonic 124s and the 9k was a little sharp to my ears as the shooter. Bigger cans usually have a nicer, lower tone. We didn’t do any mag dumps, just controlled doubles and triples.  I think on longer full auto strings the bigger cans are worth the extra length. Maybe if we were shooting subs the difference would be less noticeable as well.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 6:46:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I hope you weren't really using a .30 end cap on the Hybrid.  9mm is bigger than .30.  They make a 9mm flat end cap for the Hybrid which is probably what you were using if it wasnt the .46 and you didnt have strikes.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#25]
No it was the .30 flat cap from my Omega. I parked it on there to try the Hansohn ti front cap in my Omega the prior outing. Hansohn’s .30 cap is about 0.380”.  The SiCo .30 flat cap is 0.405”.  I’d forgotten the Hybrid didn’t have the .46 cap.  It’s a good thing the Griffin 3-lug locked up tight. I had a Rugged 3-lug in the 9K.

Normally when I have a choice on 3-lug I’ll use the 45 front caps.  Had I known it was going to be a subgun outing I’d have probably had things set up beforehand. Nothing makes a firing line stupid faster than full auto.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#26]
I use an Omega 9k on my ZR5 and Scorpion but also have the Wolf 9SD on the KR-9. I like the Wolf the best but I'm not taking anything away from the Omega's, they do a good job
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a bunch of cans...several of which I wish I never bought.  The ones I regret buying have been ones that are made from aluminum or sealed, or welded baffles that have now clogged up.
I'll never buy a sealed can again for centerfire pistol or SMG usage.

I've always been a big fan of the Gemtech MK9K for full auto SMG usage on UZI's, M16/9mm's, MP5's etc.. but even that has an aluminum inner tube that is not user serviceable.  
The new GSL Phoenix is a 'rebirth' of the MK9K and while it is finally fully user serviceable.... is made from aluminum which means no harsh chemicals and less options for tumbling media.

So for me, I personally want:
1.  User serviceable
2.  No Aluminum.  Stainless and Titanium is nice.
3.  For a SMG, short and fat is great

My custom Curtis Tactical can fills all of these requirements.
If I didn't get the Curtis Tactical, I would go with the Rugged Obsidian or maybe one of the Griffin Armament SMG cans that is serviceable...but I don't think either are high volume cans.

Picture below compares to some of my MK9K's.  I cannot tell the difference between the shorter custom Curtis Tactical can.  Being shorter, and 100% 17-4 SS baffle core that is threaded together so the inner tube is eliminated.  The MK9K's use an aluminum inner tube and pressed baffles made from I think SS.....and an aluminum blast baffle.

The Curtis Tactical can is lighter than the MK9K's.

Link Posted: 11/5/2019 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#28]
@amphibian
So if someone were to be interested in a copy more/less of your curtis tactical can would we just contact them and say we want the amphibian special?

In all seriousness it looks like all the downfalls have been corrected with your version.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 5:38:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
@amphibian
So if someone were to be interested in a copy more/less of your curtis tactical can would we just contact them and say we want the amphibian special?

In all seriousness it looks like all the downfalls have been corrected with your version.
View Quote
Yep...I know several people are getting clones of what I had him make for me.  He has a waiting list though.  I like it so much that I'm going to send him my first Mk9k made in 2001 to get cut down and re-cored with this new design.  On my old Mk9ks, the ports are getting clogged up and there is so much buildup on the inner walls of the tube by the ports that I need to scrape it off.

Since the new Curtis can comes completely apart, I can see the build up occuring on the baffles and will probably drop it in my ultrasonic soon.   I only shoot jacketed ammo but exposed lead base bullets.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 11:04:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the info, a few more questions.

I know you have said (ive also seen the video comparison) that the curtis version is quieter than your original mk9k, do you see any real advantage to the 8" over the shorter 5.75 if the 5.75 performs that much better to begin with?
It seems that 2 or 3 baffles may not amount to much extra suppression.
Thanks for any info on these differences (and for the tuning on the RDB platform.)
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 7:49:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info, a few more questions.

I know you have said (ive also seen the video comparison) that the curtis version is quieter than your original mk9k, do you see any real advantage to the 8" over the shorter 5.75 if the 5.75 performs that much better to begin with?
It seems that 2 or 3 baffles may not amount to much extra suppression.
Thanks for any info on these differences (and for the tuning on the RDB platform.)
View Quote
I never said it was quieter, I said I couldn't tell a difference between the two...not just me either, I had several people hear them side by side and most concur.  I think the tones are slightly different.

Nah, I don't see any reason to go longer for this design....
ETA:  The shortest barrels I suppress in regards to 9mm SMG's are my MP5K PDW and Mini UZI SMG.  Both of which the custom Curtis can works just as well as my MK9K.  I presume that a short 4 or 5" barrel may benefit from the longer can as that is more gas and powder to deal with than a longer barrel.  
I know that the trend these days seem to go for the 4 or 5" barrel but I personally prefer around the 8" length and a short can.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#32]
BTW, I think Curtis Tactical is doing a run in like 2 weeks as several people have been requesting what I had built.  I don't know if he typically runs extras or not.  So you may want to reach out to him soon to minimize the wait if you are serious.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 12:24:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Do you have a weight for that Curtis Tactical setup compared to the GSL? Do you think its better than an Obsidian 9 even on semi-auto? I assume the tone and back pressure would be better but ive never shot an MK9K.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 7:23:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Do you have a weight for that Curtis Tactical setup compared to the GSL? Do you think its better than an Obsidian 9 even on semi-auto? I assume the tone and back pressure would be better but ive never shot an MK9K.
View Quote
So according to the GSL website, the Phoenix is 18.2 oz: https://gsltechnology.com/product/the-phoenix/

Pictured below is one of my MK9K's which is 22.3 oz...however, this has a lot of rounds through it and how much of that weight is crud buildup who knows....
Looking at a 2016 Gemtech catalog, they list the MK9K as being 20 oz but who knows what mount they are using to determine that weight.

Now my Curtis Tactical custom can is 17.5 oz.
Note that I'm using the same 3 lug mount pictured with the MK9K as the Curtis to try to be consistent.

Again, there is no aluminum in my custom Curtis can and the inner tube is eliminated.  Being so short, I feel less of the cantilever affect since you have less weight at the end of the gun.
Judging by ear, I think it is quieter than the Omega 9K....I would think so since it is bigger/heavier.

Not for everyone but serviceability is very important to me.

Very happy with this setup and currently getting another one of MK9K's cut down so I have another one I can dedicate for full auto UZI applications.

I've never shot an Obsidian either, I'm just going off past experience of the Omega baffle design from back when it was with Joe at SWR, then Henry who then went to Silencerco and is now Rugged.  I have an Octane 9 and I would presume the Obsidian could at least match that in it's long form.

That said, I've always preferred the tone and backpressure of the MK9K over my Octane 9.  I find the MK9K has a more pleasing deeper tone than the more modern compact cans and my new Curtis can replicates that....even for a semi application.

BTW, on the run Curtis is doing, I've heard he is doing 3 lengths.  5.75" (matching what I had done), 9" and 11".

Picture below comparing the new Curtis custom shorty, MK9K and then an Octane 9.
Octane 9 is listed as 7.5" long while the Obsidian in long config is listed as 7.8" long and you can see even with the compact 3 lug mount, it is a bit longer than my Curtis can.
Aesthetically, I also like the short fat can look over the skinny looking setup that looks like it belongs more on a pistol than a SMG.

You may have seen my posts recommending the Obsidian as I think most people are looking for versatile setups.  The Obsidian offers that with the modular length and still has full serviceability using materials that you don't have to baby to clean.

However, I don't care about versatility as I just get more specific cans for specific applications.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#35]
@amphibian - Once again, thank you for excellent objective information and advice regarding NFA toys! I now plan to get one or two of the 'Amphibian' cans from Curtis Tactical...bonus for me is that they are just a few miles down the road from me.

Since you are a fountain of sage advice, what recommendations do you have for a full auto 5.56 and .45ACP cans?

v/r,
Esox
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
@amphibian - Once again, thank you for excellent objective information and advice regarding NFA toys! I now plan to get one or two of the 'Amphibian' cans from Curtis Tactical...bonus for me is that they are just a few miles down the road from me.

Since you are a fountain of sage advice, what recommendations do you have for a full auto 5.56 and .45ACP cans?

v/r,
Esox
View Quote
As mentioned, I like going with 'longer' barrels for better downrange performance and shorter cans.   For 9mm, I want to be around 1000 Fps with 147Gr for maximum power to knock down steel plates for competition but still be subsonic.  Around 8" works out for me.  I have no interest in doing these 4" or 5" 9mm barrels and suppressing them.

For 5.56, it is pointless to do subsonic (might as well do 22LR) so I do a 12.5 with mid length gas as 12.5 is about as short as you can go for a mid gas.  (I know there are some 11.5 mid's out there but that is another discussion).  That said, I go with the Brevis Ultra II and also run that in full auto.  Thread here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Lightest-Direct-Thread-5-56-suppressor-/20-500612/

For .45 full auto, I have an old Gemtech UMP can that I had Dater do a custom job where he swapped the UMP mount for an UZI barrel nut mount.  It is OK.  I don't shoot a lot of .45 full auto and don't have much to compare it to.

I have a huge custom 9mm can, that I've been talking to Curtis Tactical about getting it re-cored for .45 and possibly shortened, it has an UZI barrel nut mount and is a sealed can as well so I want it re-cored with his SS threaded stack and use a Griffin Armament 3 lug mount.  Really looking forward to that.

Hit me up offline if you want to discuss more as I don't want to derail this thread since we are supposed to be talking about the best MP5 can.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top