Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2024 10:33:19 AM EDT
Anyone have any experience with Mag-na-porting on their shotguns? Besides price, are there any advantages to Mag-na-port over Vang Comp or any other porting/forcing cone lengthening services?

Thanks,
Doug
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 12:00:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By littlebeanduet:
Anyone have any experience with Mag-na-porting on their shotguns? Besides price, are there any advantages to Mag-na-port over Vang Comp or any other porting/forcing cone lengthening services?

Thanks,
Doug
View Quote

I did vang, can't say I kotice recoil reduction, shot pattern with even trash buck mirrors federal flight control, sorry no magnaport data
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for your response. Im leaning toward sending it to vang, my only reservation is on the porting process being done with a drill press instead of wire EDM by mag-na-port as well as suarez int, angle port, and a few others. EDM seems like a better process for cleaner ports and less stress on the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 2:52:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: reelserious] [#3]
Most decent o/u shotguns are ported.  It  reduces the cheek slap and keeps the gun flat is the biggest advantag

Magnaport is GTg
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a mossberg 24in fully rifled barrel that had the factory porting.
I did not care for it as it made it hard to clean, as the ports would grab either lead or plastic (depending on what you shot) and leave streaks of it the rest of the way down the barrel.

I eventually found a older non ported version of the exact same barrel (24in fully rifled) and I noticed zero difference. Recoil and muzzle climb was the same with the non ported barrel.
Might not have anything to do with the ports, but the non ported barrel is also more accurate.
I sold the ported barrel.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 2:10:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bud] [#6]
Why do you want ported barrels, OP?

I have 4 shotguns with ports.  One is Pro-ported (the name that Mag-na-Port uses for shotgun porting), one that is factory Browning, and two that are Angle Ported by Ballistic Specialties.

All are somewhat older guns, e.g. 15-20 years old.  My current competition clays gun is not ported, and for a reason.

If I know more about your goals, I might be able to offer some perspective.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By reelserious:
Most decent o/u shotguns are ported.  It  reduces the cheek slap and keeps the gun flat is the biggest advantag

Magnaport is GTg
View Quote

Please expound on that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a 590 sent to Vang for their barrel work and porting. That particular shotgun is set up as a defensive long gun that is optimized for buckshot. After getting it back the pattern size decreased an average of 30% across a range of buckshot loads. Cheap buck was the most improved. The porting did help slightly in perceived recoil and sight tracking. I have no experience with Mag-na-port although it seems very similar.

If you had a general purpose shotgun, clay gun, upland gun, or turkey gun, I would not bother with the work. You can probably get your desired result with a screw in choke.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 12:42:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I sent a factory Rem 87 14in bbl to vang for their porting/vcs work.  It is a modified choke.  Recoil is def reduced.  Multiple cheap buckshot shoots tight groups, especially 8 pellet 00 buck.  Groups similar to federal flight control.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:26:24 AM EDT
[#10]
About 20 years ago I had my Benelli M1 ported, at the advice of my dentist who was worried about me losing my filings from the recoil.  

Not quite, but that think kicked like a mule from the factory.  The Mag na porting helped the recoil - to what extent it's hard to guess via just shooting it, months apart from before it was done.

I will say that before porting, it would cycle 1 oz trap style loads, and after it would not with a full magazine tube (cycles fine when down to about 2-3 rounds in the tube from less weight = more recoil), so the recoil is reduced.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 8:04:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I had at one time 2 identical Beretta AL 391s. I took one to Mag-Na-Port and had it ported and the forcing cone lengthened, There was ZERO noticeable difference between the two guns before or after on targets and the patterning board.
Top Top