Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2024 2:12:58 PM EDT
I am working my way through some research prior to getting back into NV.  I've only had 14s in the past but think that this go around it might be binos.  I'm trying to figure out if MG and IR are more luxury or need.  As far as MG goes, I seem to recall, not sure where I heard or read it, that it is really, really, really nice, i.e., almost a need, when using supergain tubes and more of a nice feature to have for everything else.  And when it comes to IR, the built-in illuminator isn't really all that great and since you are going to using a helmet, a helmet mounted illuminator is all you need.

Am I missing anything?  If one is going to just go with thin-filmed Elbit and standard filmless L3 tubes, is MG needed, desired, or just throwing money away?  And is IR needed, desired, or just throwing money away.

Currently, I am looking at the DTNVS, the DTNVS-MG and the Manticore-R.  But if IR is not needed as well, then I might expand my search.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 2:34:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 2:57:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Riley] [#2]
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 3:27:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JonLSU] [#3]
An illuminator comes in handy if it’s super dark out.  I have rarely used the built in one though.  I normally click one on my helmet especially if I’m running.  

As far as manual gain, I wouldn’t want a pair without it.  That’s just my preference.  I tend to adjust it every night I use nvgs.  I prefer my image on the dim side.  Also it reduces the backsplash on your face if you are in a situation where that matters.  With the super gain, turned up all the way was pretty bright.  I would guess I was running it at 65-75%

The manticore R is nice.    The MH1 looks really promising as well.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 4:09:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnDough] [#4]
Manual gain is just another thing go mess with. Once I went with binos,  I never missed it. Illuminator is best left as a handheld or weapon mounted device or one of the myriad of on helmet solutions, but I'd never avoid a housing be cause it had an Illuminator.

Just my .02. Minimal experience compared to many.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Plus one vote for manual gain.

I turn my tubes down and almost never use maximum brightness.  Cutting the tube's brightness also cuts down scintillation or noise.  At least, it becomes less apparent to my eyes.

There are a bazillion really good housings these days that offer manual gain so honestly, unless you're interested in paying a lot of money for a contract binocular (PVS31A), I would skip that and start looking for a competing housing with manual gain.

What's especially nice about the newer crop of manual gain housings is that quite a few of them are metal.  I have ZERO first hand experience with metal housings as both of my bino's are plastic.  I have thought on a few occasions running my PVS31D's at work that they should have broken.  Fortunately, they did not.

I plan on swapping my 1431 housing to a manticore R at some point if that says anything about my interest in trying a metal housing over plastic.

As far as a built in illuminator...meh.  Big meh.

I'd say that the only housing that has an illuminator right now that interests me is the LLI MH1.  Apparently they have an NIR and an illuminator with throw on the housing.  That could potentially be cool but the honest truth is.  My helmet mounted task light and Surefire do the same thing that the goggle does.  As other's have said, id rather run down separate batteries than the battery in my NV.  Especially considering how infrequently I use supplemental IR.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#6]
The only housing I have with a MG is the Mod-3b. It is an odd duck in the housing offerings. It has a seprate MG for each pod since it was designed to split apart. I have some really good Omni-VIII tubes in it that need to be dialed down in brighness a bit since I find them a bit too bright at times. Also, dialing down the brightness does make the "noise" reduce the more you dial it down. Be warned though, the Mod-3b does not have an external battery port and is a heavy bastard.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 5:00:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dissident] [#7]
Thanks for the input everyone.  I used the MG a lot with both my 14s which was part of the reason I was asking about it on binos.  I started to question the need though as there were more than a few housings that didn't/don't include it and then I read or heard, again I don't remember where or what exactly, that MG wasn't necessary on binos and it was only becoming more prevalent simply due to supergain tubes.  My questions about the need for MG on binos and IR in general were more premised on cost savings than anything else.  

I didn't want to skimp out if it was useful, or needed.  And on the contrary, thought that if it wasn't needed, or even useful, then there was nothing wrong with saving some money since I already know I'm not going with supergain tubes and would have helmet mount lume anyway.

ETA: I am leaning heavily toward the Manticore-R.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't have alot of expereince with the newer housings, but I don't think you'd miss MG at all if it wasn't on whatever housing you decided to run. The only reason I purchased a Mod-3b was because I still wanted the ability to have a monocular. Manual gain was a must have for a monocular for me so I could dial down the brightness to reduce eye strain/fatigue. You'll be happy with the manticore @TNVC_Riley would have more information on that housing since he's had hands on with them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 5:49:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Is there something else I should take a look at?
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dissident:
View Quote

You can check out the RNVG or the ARNVG from AB Night Vision. They are machined aluminum housings, use PVS-14 glass and 10160 tubes. I have two sets of RNVGs and I use them more than the Mod-3b. The RNVG and the ARNVG do not have manual gain though. Personally, I'd stay away from all of the Chinese housings. I'm pretty sure you would be happy with the Manticore though. JRH has those ready to ship RFN too. Give Robert a call there and he'll be able to give you a good bit more information on them. He might suggest something that would suit you better depending on what you tell him your needs are.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I wouldnt buy a set without MG. I like it personally.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 10:31:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JonLSU] [#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dissident:
View Quote

I’d look at these.  
Manticore
MH1
Dtnvs-mg
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 4:40:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I really like my ARNVG's. My only complaint is that the push-button location is a bit annoying, especially the illuminator (which I don't use or really care about, but it's near identical to the Wilcox Raid Xe "SHORT" illuminator. It's awesome if you're into it).
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 1:10:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#15]
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 11:06:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I find the biggest benefits to Manual Gain are:

1. You can maintain your natural night adapted eyes, so you can look under and around the NVGs and actually see better. Blown out gain gives me night blindness.

2. The Eye Splash is reduced, lowering detection from afar.

I consider it necessary. I never used my Onboard IR - Helmet Task Lights are better IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top