Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2024 3:44:10 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me bout this rifle or what to look for to further identify its value. From memory it is a Marlin 336 of some type. 35 Remington, 3/4 or 1/2 mag tube and 24" barrel. It should be at least 30 years old. i will get more info in about a month. How common or rare?
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 4:10:32 PM EDT
[#1]
30yr old would put it approximately 1994....best get sn.& verify...hammer block safety or no? Ammo may be pricy& difficult to locate. JM marked bbl? WAG= $600>depending upon condition&other factors.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like it could possibly be a 336A. I always suggest checking gunbroker for closed auctions to see what people are actually paying for them. I'm a huge 35Rem fan. Just picked up a standard 336 pre safety for $500 plus fees/shipping. 35 rem is a cartridge you wanna reload for if you shoot alot. Ammo tends to be seasonal and $2+ a round for factory.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 8:57:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 549] [#3]
Marlin 336 SC (Sporting Carbine)

I would like to have one in that cartridge.

Edit: I'm wrong. The carbine had a 20" barrel. I believe it is a 336A as posted above.

Edit2: The 336A was made from 1948-1962 and 1973-1980. The earlier versions, particularly if it has the waffle top receiver will be worth more. Assuming good condition of course.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 10:16:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. In a month or so i will take a look and see. It could easily be from pre 1980. I will check for things like waffel top and other markings.

I dont currently reload but used to. Still have my Rockchucker and would reload for 35 Rem. $2 a round is a good bit but not as bad as some factory rounds.

I know you guys will probably flame me. But is it anything so special that i shouldnt consider having a smith cut and thread the barrel? With the short mag tube and as a close range brush gun i feel like a 16-18" barrel would just be so nice. Ussually those larger bores do really well balisticly out of shorter barrels.  I have a 6.5 Tikka that is a absolute laser but it has a 24.5" barrel and needs it. I was thinking a short or mid leangth lever gun would compliment it well for brush or timber. Maybe a red dot or 1-4. Or even irons if my eyes can see them well enough to ethically take game.

I have Handi rifle in 357 Maximum with a 16" that was supposed to be my brush gun. But i realized that i like the idea of being able to take a follow up shot especially in the thick area where things happen fast. Always thought a lever gun handels that nicely.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the 336A.   They have the forend cap instead of the barrel band.  Looks nicer, and most argue a more accurate setup.

If it's pre safety, I would say don't cut.  If it's post safety, do what you want.

I'm still ticked at my FIL.  He picked up a nice 336 from the 70's in 35 Remington.   He has a cabinet full of POS beater guns, and FINALLY got something nice.

Then he let some methbilly trade him a Smith and Wesson SVD9 for that 35 Rem WITH a couple of boxes of ammo.  He was really proud of himself too.

Dumbass.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wm69:

I'm still ticked at my FIL.  He picked up a nice 336 from the 70's in 35 Remington.   He has a cabinet full of POS beater guns, and FINALLY got something nice.

Then he let some methbilly trade him a Smith and Wesson SVD9 for that 35 Rem WITH a couple of boxes of ammo.  He was really proud of himself too.

Dumbass.
View Quote

Funny story, I got my first Marlin 35rem in a trade for a S&W Svd40. He even threw in a bunch of 35 ammo. The trade was hos idea so I didn't feel too bad about it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bad_bowtie:

Funny story, I got my first Marlin 35rem in a trade for a S&W Svd40. He even threw in a bunch of 35 ammo. The trade was hos idea so I didn't feel too bad about it.
View Quote

Knowing my FIL, it was probably his idea to trade off his Marlin.  

It was pretty much the only nice gun he had, and he traded it for another POS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top