Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2024 1:13:23 PM EDT
I have a very nice Martini Enfield chambered in .303 British.  Originally built as a standard 577/450 Mark II in 1874 it was converted to .303 Enfield configuration in 1899.

Would it be safe to use standard .303 smokeless ball ammo in this rifle?

And in the same vein, I also have a pristine Long Lee Enfield that I will ask the same question about.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably ...but if it was mine it would be mild reloads .

Jealous...that is a pretty nice one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Decent condition 303 conversions are pretty hard to find. While the martini action is rather strong, remember the 303 was originally a black powder cartridge ( though it did transition to smokeless by the time this gun was converted)

If it were me, not only for safety but to limited the beating on an old classic ( have you tried finding replacement Martin in parts ?- it is a bear!)

I would recommend lighter reloads myself.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Slug the bore, use cast bullets with a mild load and it'll probably shoot very well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:39:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Teddydog] [#4]
Very nice looking M-E!  Way nicer than mine.  I imported mine, and an M-H, from Australia.

I would not begin to suggest what you should do.  I have shot mine with standard Mk VII ball.  It likes heavier bullets better though, if you can find any.

My Martini-Enfield has a web page (made a long time ago):  Teddydog's M-E

rob
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice M-E.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't have anything to add, but that is a very nice Martini-Enfield!  Congratulations!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2024 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BlitzPig:
I have a very nice Martini Enfield chambered in .303 British.  Originally built as a standard 577/450 Mark II in 1874 it was converted to .303 Enfield configuration in 1899.

Would it be safe to use standard .303 smokeless ball ammo in this rifle?

https://imageshack.com/i/pmKcolU5j

https://imageshack.com/i/poQStQu3j

https://imageshack.com/i/pm2VUmO9j

And in the same vein, I also have a pristine Long Lee Enfield that I will ask the same question about.
View Quote

Gorgeous MH.  I brought back an inop MH MkIV and a MLE from Afghanistan.  I did fire few rounds of MkVII .303 while there from the MLE.  Ordered a set of Lee .303 dies, a two cav Lee .314 90 gr SWC mold.  Going to load gallery loads for the old gal.  That bullet is also great for my Ruger Single Six .32 H&R/Long
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top