Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2024 4:58:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Landric]
Getting ready for CQB Brutality East-Cyberpunk Division, or maybe a sequel to an 80s action movie:

Attachment Attached File

Now I need to figure out how to mount an optic on this thing.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish Mossberg would release a modernized version of this!
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I had one in the 1988 that would slam fire every time you pumped it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The carry handle is attached to the barrel shroud and the barrel shroud is attached to the barrel.

It is readily removable.

Then you can get a replacement barrel shroud it doesn't have the carry handle on it and weld a little section of pick rail to it and then a red dot on that.

Or find a way to mount it to the barrel more directly.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tomac:
I wish Mossberg would release a modernized version of this!
View Quote

BU website

Bullpup Unlimited had released a bullpup shell kit.

I talked to the own once when I broke a part on the 870 kit. Nice guy. He contacted me after I sent him the email about getting a new part for the hand guard adapter. He was wondering how the hell I broke that part. I told him that I motared the shotgun when it I had stuck dummy round while using the VTG that I attached. The off axis stress cause the small part to break and that's how I broke it. He laughed that I managed to break something that he thought it was impossible to break. Great owner, he sent me the replacement part and an extra one for safe measure.

I asked him about a Mossberg 500 bullpup version and that's how I found out that he got the idea from his 500 bullpup. He was going to make one once he can figure out the dimensional changes that Mossberg made to the receiver over the years. He wanted to see improvements to made to the setup,and that's how he made the kit.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I was originally looking at one of the kits from Bullpups Unlimited.  However, I found this gun for $50 more than just the kit.  I have a Mossberg 590, but it is a SBS, so I would have had to buy a longer barrel to use it in the kit.  That would be more expensive already, and now I get another gun out of it.  Plus, it will be 8+1 instead of 5+1.  

I got an AR carry handle optic mount, removed what passes for the rear sight on the 590 carry handle, and drilled a hole for the mount's bolt.  It looks like it is going to work, but the polymer is so thick the included bolt isn't long enough.  Of course I couldn't find one anywhere in the house that would work, so I ordered more from Amazon.  We will see if this works out and will hold zero well enough for hits at 25 yards.  

As I said above, I got this for CQB Brutality East in West Virginia in September.  Cyberpunk division requires bullpup rifles and shotguns, PCCs/SMGs/PDWs that are either bullpup or feed through the firing grip, and whatever handgun.  I'm planning to use this shotgun, my MAC M10/9 with Uzi mag conversion, and a Glock 49 with a Holosun SCS MOS.  I'm torn between my AUG (which my oldest son says is "more Cyberpunk") and my X95 for the rifle.  I'm tempted to go X95 since I shoot the AUG in 2-gun matches regularly.  However, since I do shoot the AUG in matches, I am more familiar with it than the X95.  Decisions, decisions.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 10mmillie:
I had one in the 1988 that would slam fire every time you pumped it.
View Quote

It's a feature not a bug!

I bought a 500 Bullpup a few months ago, via GB for about 400 bucks.  Still haven't shot it but it should be fun.

My advise - black tape the grip safety closed.  It's a pain to keep the exact grip needed to press that in and still work the rest of the shotgun.

Link Posted: 6/25/2024 10:40:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Landric] [#7]
Originally Posted By 1stID:

I bought a 500 Bullpup a few months ago, via GB for about 400 bucks.  Still haven't shot it but it should be fun.

My advise - black tape the grip safety closed.  It's a pain to keep the exact grip needed to press that in and still work the rest of the shotgun.

View Quote

Yeah, I noticed that the grip safety is awkward and not especially useful (even as grip safeties go).  On the plus side, I got my carry handle rail mounted.  It puts the dot up high, but it really isn't that much higher than the sights were.  Hopefully it has enough adjustment to get it zeroed.  The PA Micro is just a place holder until I decide what to put up there.  I had it lying around, but I think something with a circle dot would be better for a shotgun.

I need to get this thing to the range.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/25/2024 1:57:10 PM EDT
[#8]
If the dot is too high, you could use one of the AR forward mounts that would place it in front of the carry handle.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
If the dot is too high, you could use one of the AR forward mounts that would place it in front of the carry handle.
View Quote

That is a good idea. If the dot won’t zero up there I will give one a try. The actual sight picture where the dot is is fine, not exactly a cheek weld but lower than a chin weld. I’m just worried about being able to zero it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Landric:

That is a good idea. If the dot won’t zero up there I will give one a try. The actual sight picture where the dot is is fine, not exactly a cheek weld but lower than a chin weld. I’m just worried about being able to zero it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Landric:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  If the dot is too high, you could use one of the AR forward mounts that would place it in front of the carry handle.

That does look like quite the angle.  You could use an AR forward carry handle mount and then one of the target + MOA mounts backwards to get it more parallel to the bore.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#11]
There’s an angled “boss” near the Picatinny rail of that carry handle mount, and that’s probably why it’s sitting angled like that. You can either look for a simpler one that doesn’t have that, or get it milled off and then it should sit level.

But this is what I would do...
Originally Posted By TSH77769:
The carry handle is attached to the barrel shroud and the barrel shroud is attached to the barrel.

It is readily removable.

Then you can get a replacement barrel shroud it doesn't have the carry handle on it and weld a little section of pick rail to it and then a red dot on that.

Or find a way to mount it to the barrel more directly.
View Quote
There’s a screw going down through the plastic handle into a threaded dovetail piece on the barrel (where the rear sight would normally be) and I’d re-use that as my front anchor point, and also weld a steel rail to the new heat shield like he’s saying. If you additionally make the rear of the heat shield tight, so that it exhibits no movement (maybe by doing weld build-up and fitting it) then it should be consistent enough to zero an optic.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 11:59:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AR18:

BU website

Bullpup Unlimited had released a bullpup shell kit.

I talked to the own once when I broke a part on the 870 kit. Nice guy. He contacted me after I sent him the email about getting a new part for the hand guard adapter. He was wondering how the hell I broke that part. I told him that I motared the shotgun when it I had stuck dummy round while using the VTG that I attached. The off axis stress cause the small part to break and that's how I broke it. He laughed that I managed to break something that he thought it was impossible to break. Great owner, he sent me the replacement part and an extra one for safe measure.

I asked him about a Mossberg 500 bullpup version and that's how I found out that he got the idea from his 500 bullpup. He was going to make one once he can figure out the dimensional changes that Mossberg made to the receiver over the years. He wanted to see improvements to made to the setup,and that's how he made the kit.
View Quote

I went out to the site, and noticed the Maverick kit for $50 more than the 500 kit.  I understand the trigger groups are different between the 500 and the Maverick, however there's nothing in the description which explains the price difference.  I imagine the oem trigger guard would be removed as part of the conversion.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 1stID:

View Quote

There was an interior plastic piece I was able to remove from mine to disable the function of the grip safety.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top