Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2024 5:21:48 PM EDT
Started a restoration project and need a new action slide and new style magazine tube for an old 550.

Does anyone know how frequently Mossberg releases parts to sell? They told me to sign up for the alerts at their webshop and the half dozen other stores already.

I might just repair my current setup with the price on the secondary market.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I was going to recommend Havlin Sales, but I’m not sure that they are in business anymore. Their website doesn’t come up:

Havlin Sales
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#3]
They turn up on the EE for a decent price every once in a while.

Midway seems to get them in regularly too.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 8:10:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Last time (2022) I snagged a healthy supply from Midwest Gun Works.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you looked at EveryGunPart?
They break down whole guns into parts sets.
They are not cheap but do run occasional sale promotions.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 2:02:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FADALdude] [#6]
Thanks all for the info. I’ve got the stock alerts for all the big sellers so I’m ready to pounce when they restock.

I’m surprised Mossberg and MagPul haven’t cooperated to get more tubes in circulation for those that need them to mount the MagPul furniture.

I was hoping the fear mongering about not being released has been hyped by the sellers. Good to know they do get back in stock. Anything to sell something for a 200% mark up to ignorant buyers.

I might just break down and get a used parts kit if I get impatient. It’s amazing how simple the 500/590s are.

Never neckbeard, but, I’m grabbing more than one when they pop up for future 500/590 builds.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't forget the 88.  All the parts interchange other than the FCG.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 2:48:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#8]
i ran into an issue similar but different to this a few years ago. That's how I ended up with a Frankenstein 590/500 that turned into one of my favorite shotguns. There's simply too many used 500's out there for cheap for what people are asking for some of these parts. Just the other day in my store there was a perfectly good use 500 for $160. Sell the stocks off the thing and you have your parts for next to nothing. Mossberg pumps are the AR15 of the shotgun world. They mix and match well.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fgshoot:
i ran into an issue similar but different to this a few years ago. That's how I ended up with a Frankenstein 590/500 that turned into one of my favorite shotguns. There's simply too many used 500's out there for cheap for what people are asking for some of these parts. Just the other day in my store there was a perfectly good use 500 for $160. Sell the stocks off the thing and you have your parts for next to nothing. Mossberg pumps are the AR15 of the shotgun world. They mix and match well.
View Quote

I agree 100%.
I can’t believe people are spending nearly $200 on just the 7 3/4” action tube on eBay.
I don’t need another project, but, these parts prices are crazy.

I am on the lookout at all LGSs for C&R eligible 500s and 550s. Those racks of beat .22s, single barrel shotguns and old pumps sometimes has some good parts hidden in there. Some time in the blast cabinet, a chop and coat in engine paint makes a perfect barn gun.

I have started looking locally for any Western Field store brand 500 Mossberg made for Montgomery Wards. They don’t hold their value at all, but, are usually solid and smooth cycling when you get the double action bar models.
You can add a $95 new, factory 18.5” barrel and some factory takeoff plastic furniture and have a sub $300 500 that is very well made. The adjustable choke barrels are surprisingly desirable and can offset a lot of the cost. Those
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 4:23:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#10]
Yes, people do seem to like the adjustable choke. I sold my C-lect barrel and it went for so much on ebay I was able to buy two fixed choke barrels that nobody seems to want. Those fixed choke barrels are often as cheap as people are paying for a fancy extended choke tube. At least for the 500's, the barrels are so cheap, and they've come in so many versions. The only expensive one is the 38" full choke.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 4:26:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#11]
oops, I'm not sure how to delete this double post.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FADALdude:

I agree 100%.
I can’t believe people are spending nearly $200 on just the 7 3/4” action tube on eBay.

I am on the lookout at all LGSs for C&R eligible 500s and 550s. Those racks of beat .22s, single barrel shotguns and old pumps sometimes has some good parts hidden in there. Some time in the blast cabinet, a chop and coat in engine paint makes a perfect barn gun.

I have started looking locally for any Western Field store brand 500 Mossberg made for Montgomery Wards. They don’t hold their value at all, but, are usually solid and smooth cycling when you get the double action bar models.
You can add a $95 new, factory 18.5” barrel and some factory takeoff plastic furniture and have a sub $300 500 that is very well made. The adjustable choke barrels are surprisingly desirable and can offset a lot of the cost. Those
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fgshoot:  i ran into an issue similar but different to this a few years ago. That's how I ended up with a Frankenstein 590/500 that turned into one of my favorite shotguns. There's simply too many used 500's out there for cheap for what people are asking for some of these parts. Just the other day in my store there was a perfectly good use 500 for $160. Sell the stocks off the thing and you have your parts for next to nothing. Mossberg pumps are the AR15 of the shotgun world. They mix and match well.

I agree 100%.

The new 88s are double action bars and while the action pump assembly is inferior to the 500, they're quite decent for $200 or so.

Can't be that many C&R 500s around.  What is the 550?
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 7:09:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#13]
What does C&R mean? There's plenty of 500's around though.

I have never owned an 88, but from what I understand the only notable differences are the slide assemblies are one piece, and the trigger assemblies have a cross bolt safety, instead of the 500 thumb safety on the receiver. The slide assemblies on all Mossbergs have been dual action bars for decades. The barrels interchange with a 500. As far as I know all the internal parts are the same. So yes, don't buy an 88 if you want the slide assembly, they are not as good as a 500.

I did look up a 550, and it's just a 500 sold by Montgomery Ward. It's old enough that frame might be a single action bar, but there's ways around that.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Numrich?
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 8:50:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By fgshoot:  What does C&R mean? There's plenty of 500's around though.

I have never owned an 88, but from what I understand the only notable differences are the slide assemblies are one piece, and the trigger assemblies have a cross bolt safety, instead of the 500 thumb safety on the receiver. The slide assemblies on all Mossbergs have been dual action bars for decades. The barrels interchange with a 500. As far as I know all the internal parts are the same. So yes, don't buy an 88 if you want the slide assembly, they are not as good as a 500.

I did look up a 550, and it's just a 500 sold by Montgomery Ward. It's old enough that frame might be a single action bar, but there's ways around that.
View Quote

C&R stands for Curios & Relics, the title of the 03 FFL, which allows collectors to have 50 years old & older firearms shipped directly to their home, instead of having to ship them to their LGS & pick them up there.

The happy thing is that unlike the 1 January 1899 antique cutoff date, the C&R classification is a rolling 50 year backwards date, so there's now a whole decade of Colt SP 01s that can ship directly to the collector's door, as the C&R cutoff date is now 15 July 1974.  In another 12 years, all transferrable machineguns will be C&R and can ship to your door.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 9:44:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#16]
That's a new one to me. It looks like curio and relics only applies if you yourself have the type 3 FFL license, and all the headaches that come with that. Other than a little more cost, it seems a type 1 FFL would make more sense if you were really going to get into buying and selling like that.

I don't know why anyone would bother with any of that for a pump shotgun. 500's are in every gun store, no need to ship them.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By fgshoot:  That's a new one to me. It looks like curio and relics only applies if you yourself have the type 3 FFL license, and all the headaches that come with that. Other than a little more cost, it seems a type 1 FFL would make more sense if you were really going to get into buying and selling like that.

I don't know why anyone would bother with any of that for a pump shotgun. 500's are in every gun store, no need to ship them.
View Quote

Very little headaches come w/ an 03, other than your bank manager calling you regularly.  If you're building a classic firearm collection, whether milsurp or classic sporting guns, a C&R makes a lot of sense.

If you're going w/ a 01, you've got to actually engage in some business, if you just buy for yourself it'll get yanked.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 4:00:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FADALdude] [#18]
…….
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#19]
BACK IN STOCK AT MOSSBERG.COM
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 9:37:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#20]
View Quote

Yeah it is, but wow, $60 plus shipping. https://www.mossberg.com/action-slide-12-gauge-7-3-4-blued-11603bl.html

Prices like that is a good way to ruin the used market. Just be aware OP that this is the long tube, which is fine, but it fits more 590 orientated forends. The many if not most of 500 forends take the 6 1/2 tube, but there's so many parts out there it shouldn't be an issue. Just watch which one you buy.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 10:27:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 10:32:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Bollocks44:

Holy shit THANK YOU. Got one.  So much for their in-stock notification emails…
Off to cancel the 7 month Brownell’s backorder.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bollocks44:

Holy shit THANK YOU. Got one.  So much for their in-stock notification emails…
Off to cancel the 7 month Brownell’s backorder.

Cool!
They charged my card but no emails or change to my account there.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By fgshoot:

Yeah it is, but wow, $60 plus shipping. https://www.mossberg.com/action-slide-12-gauge-7-3-4-blued-11603bl.html

Prices like that is a good way to ruin the used market. Just be aware OP that this is the long tube, which is fine, but it fits more 590 orientated forends. The many if not most of 500 forends take the 6 1/2 tube, but there's so many parts out there it shouldn't be an issue. Just watch which one you buy.
View Quote

That’s what they have always been.  People just mark them up because they are rarely in stock.  I’ve seen them listed for $125 which is just dumb.

I thought all the 500’s and 590’s used the 7-3/4 and it was the 88’s that used the 6-1/2?  You need the 7-3/4 to mount a Magpul forend on a 88.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 2:21:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FADALdude] [#24]
Anyone got any updates on their order?
I didn’t want to neck beard so someone else could snag one.

Still no email or website updates.

ETA: hopefully Mossberg opens the gates with more parts. There are millions of these things.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 3:33:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#26]
Originally Posted By QtrHorse:

That’s what they have always been.  People just mark them up because they are rarely in stock.  I’ve seen them listed for $125 which is just dumb.

I thought all the 500’s and 590’s used the 7-3/4 and it was the 88’s that used the 6-1/2?  You need the 7-3/4 to mount a Magpul forend on a 88.
View Quote

No, 88's don't even have a tube. They are one-piece, basically just a forend with the action bars attached to it. There's so many variations on Mossberg pumps I don't want to speak in absolutes, but the majority of 500's that I have dealt with have had the shorter 6 1/2" tube, and as such a lot of the used forends out there are for the shorter tube. From what I understand new 500's, 835, and 590 shockwave use the short tubes. New 590, 590s, 590a1 are the ones that use the long tube. Why? I have no idea, because I have definitely found older 500's, regular old hunting model 500's with the long tube. I'm only speaking to 12 gauge, I don't know much about the other gauges.

That said, as I'm looking at the aftermarket new forends right now, it looks to me the majority are made for the longer 7 3/4 tube. I'm thinking the reason is you can use those long forends on the short tube with the extension adapter. You can't use the short forearms on the long tubes. I guess you could with a spacer, but it would look dumb.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter much due to how common stocks are for these, but it is something to keep in mind if the OP is trying to use his original forend.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 3:58:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#27]
Ok, so I did a quick bit of research. At least according to the internet, sources unconfirmed, 1961 Mossberg released the 500, and were single action bar. In 1970 they went to a double action bar design. Before 1973, all 500 forend tubes were the long 7 3/4" length. 1987, they release the 590. 1988, they release the 835. Also 1988, they release the Maverick 88. Supposedly 1993 all the 500 and 835 hunting models went to the short 6 1/2" tube, and 590s stuck with the longer tube.

I guess from 1973 to 1993 the forend tubes could have been either length. So basically if it's a double action bar tube, there's really no rhyme or reason until 1993. Obviously there were tons of store brand versions like the 550 mentioned here in this timeframe. But if it's from the last 31 years, it is a short tube in a hunting model, long tube in the 590.

I should have mentioned it, but you can swap the two tubes with no issues, at least I've never found any issue. The only thing it changes is what forend you can use on them. There's also the flex forend, but it doesn't seem to have really caught on. I'm not even sure what models it comes on anymore, but you can still buy it separate as a kit.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 8:00:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FADALdude] [#28]
Ok….?

Anyone else pick one up?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top