Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2020 9:32:50 PM EDT
I plan on having a can on my 10.5" SBR when the stamps get approved, in the meantime, I should get the Form 1 stamp back well before the form 4 stamp.

Is there a good option to use as a thread protector, that is also a good muzzle device, that can just be hand screwed on and hand torqued, which would also possibly be how the rifle will be setup if I don't keep the suppressor on at all times.

Can is a Sig 556 can, direct thread, so my options are limited to standard thread on muzzle devices. Nothing crazy.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#1]
If I have the question, or title phrased wrong, let me know. I'm not the biggest of rifle guys, more of a handgun guy. Intitial plan was pin and weld the suppressor, then I decided that'd be dumb.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#2]
So I'm clear, the primary purpose of this muzzle device would be a thread protector when you don't have the can on?

If that's the case I'd just use an A2 birdcage. No need to go hunting for maximum performance if you're going to be removing it offen.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I'm clear, the primary purpose of this muzzle device would be a thread protector when you don't have the can on?

If that's the case I'd just use an A2 birdcage. No need to go hunting for maximum performance if you're going to be removing it offen.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was thinking the answer would be keep it simple. Thread protection is the basic interest.

What if I want to make a fireball if not shooting suppressed? Noveske Flash Pig?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Vortex. Easy on off, hides flash well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 11:28:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve used A1 and YHM Phantom birdcage flash hiders in that role. I hate screwing with crush washers or shims if I don’t have to.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I’ve used A1 and YHM Phantom birdcage flash hiders in that role. I hate screwing with crush washers or shims if I don’t have to.
View Quote

Any particular ones you'd recommend?

I'd like to avoid crush washers and shims as well. KISS

The rifle itself is a XM177 kind of clone. I'm undoing the pinned and welded flash hider, and then threading on suppressor.

birdcage should be just fine to keep on the gun when it's not got the suppressor on, but a fireball without suppressor could be better.

Go flame, or go pew.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 12:46:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn’t plan on any hand tightened muzzle device (besides special systems designed for that) to remain securely attached to a barrel.  There’s a reason most muzzle devices have a torque spec that’s well above what you’ll be capable of producing without any tools.  Believe me, I tried this when direct threading a can on my .300BLK AR and occasionally swapping it out for an AAC 3 prong FH.

Also, your ports are very likely going to be way off center with the A2 if not using a crush washer or an appropriate amount of shims.

I understand that you’re just wanting a simple solution here but the honest answer is there really isn’t one when looking to swap around a DT can.  Get yourself a reaction rod type device and plan on using at least a little bit of torque when installing/uninstalling your “thread protector” muzzle device.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 1:12:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This here.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 3:25:55 AM EDT
[#11]
An A1 will also  work. No need to time it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I’d recommend an A1 birdcage over the A2, because the A2 needs to be timed, so you need to use shims or a crush washer to get it to time properly.  Think a much better option is the Smith Vortex because the twist in the tines uses the blast to apply force in the tighten direction, which should keep it on even if only hand tight.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:54:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I previously replied but it was on my mobile device and I didn't have time to type out a well informed reply.  From my own personal experience with a 5.56 in 10.5", I can say the A2 is going to have SIGNIFICANTLY more flash than the Smith Vortex, so if flash suppression is at all paramount, please spend the extra money on the Vortex.  If not, the A1 will suit you fine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I’d recommend an A1 birdcage over the A2, because the A2 needs to be timed, so you need to use shims or a crush washer to get it to time properly.  Think a much better option is the Smith Vortex because the twist in the tines uses the blast to apply force in the tighten direction, which should keep it on even if only hand tight.
View Quote

I think I'd like this one.  Any idea if a Halo-T work with it?  I can't find that Halo-compatible list we used to have.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Excellent advice guys!

Thank you very much!
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I think I bought the A1s from JSE surplus. The Phantom FHs came from CDNN. A screwdriver through the slots puts enough torque to keep in place and needs similar tool to remove.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think I bought the A1s from JSE surplus. The Phantom FHs came from CDNN. A screwdriver through the slots puts enough torque to keep in place and needs similar tool to remove.
View Quote

A1 sounds like what I'm after, simple, basic, and will look cleaner than just a thread protector.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I’ve hand-tightened A1 birdcage flash hiders with the correct split lock washer many times, and have never had one loosen even a little.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 12:10:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what I use.  They are supposedly self-tightening.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 1:47:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do the same thing on a 10.5  223wylde chambered SBR ,works very well.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:58:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Stamp came in today! I ended up throwing a Kaw valley linear comp on.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top