Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2024 4:14:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marksman14]
Current light is one of the major manufacturers, for the time being I am not going to say anything about brand because I don't want to inadvertently put "blame" on them...as I have no reason to believe its the light manufacturers problem, and likely a weak battery.

The battery still works, but I went to give if a re-charge, and found this:

Attachment Attached File

For those of you running lights on your shotguns, have you ever seen this before?

I legitimately only have maybe 50-70 rounds through my shotgun with this light attached.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm guessing the light doesn't have a spring on the positive end to absorb recoil?
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kbark:
I'm guessing the light doesn't have a spring on the positive end to absorb recoil?
View Quote

It actually does.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Olight strikes again.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 9:06:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marksman14] [#4]
Originally Posted By MK318:
Olight strikes again.
View Quote

Excuse me sir, I said one of the major manufacturers, not that hideous shit
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:

View Quote

Which one? I’m using Surefire and Keepower, no issues yet.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 7:17:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#6]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Olight strikes again.

Attachment Attached File

I’m just busting balls, even if it was olight I wouldn’t put it on the light, like you said it is probably a cheap battery. The recoil is a tad stouter on the A300UP but a quality light and battery shouldn’t be doing this. I bought a bunch of the rechargeable Surefire 18650s last year when they were on sale on eurooptic or one of those sites. I’ve heard good things about the streamlight 18650s as well and I’ve seen them go on sale at battery junction from time to time for as low as $24 for the double pack. Most of my weapon lights are the dual fuel SF lights but I’ve still got a few legacy 123A SFs on some guns so I always keep a box of 123As in my range bag just in case.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 7:32:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Hillbilly62:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hillbilly62:

The problem with the various Chinese batteries seems to be that they will make various changes as the price of raw materials increases to keep their prices lower at the cost of sacrificing of quality control, output, durability, and longevity. You never know when these changes are going to happen so you might have a great result with one brand for a year or two and then they turn to shit. I’m not a flashlight guy or a battery snob but when it comes to defensive tools I am willing to pay to have constancy and reliability so for me I stick to Surefire or Streamlight where the consistencies in manufacturing and quality control seem to be the best.

The positive from this is that it’s better to learn this failure can happen with some brands of batteries on the range rather than at 3am when you needed that light in a defensive situation. Test your gear and equipment regularly to flesh out any deficiencies and make improvements.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#8]

The problem with the various Chinese batteries seems to be that they will make various changes as the price of raw materials increases to keep their prices lower at the cost of sacrificing of quality control, output, durability, and longevity. You never know when these changes are going to happen so you might have a great result with one brand for a year or two and then they turn to shit. I’m not a flashlight guy or a battery snob but when it comes to defensive tools I am willing to pay to have constancy and reliability so for me I stick to Surefire or Streamlight where the consistencies in manufacturing and quality control seem to be the best.

The positive from this is that it’s better to learn this failure can happen with some brands of batteries on the range rather than at 3am when you needed that light in a defensive situation. Test your gear and equipment regularly to flesh out any deficiencies and make improvements.
View Quote

That ain't it at all.

They meet specs until people stop looking.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#9]
The battery is the weak point of any flashlight.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 12:28:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blain] [#10]
I never understood why someone would keep a light on their shotgun 24/7 (unless its your home defense gun that is sitting in wait).  The whole point of having the detachable light is that you can attach / detach when needed.  I see people firing their guns at the range at mid day with the lights bolted on their guns in videos and just scratch my head.  I can see firing a few shots to function / durability test the light, but realistically, once that's done, if you have to use your shotgun at night in a real world situation, you're not going to be firing boxes of shells through it.  

Same with a rifle, even in a combat zone I'd keep the light in a pouch and off the gun, not attaching until needed.  People are doing extensive range shooting during the day with the lights bolted on their guns....

If I'm using my gun during the day, I'm not keeping the weight and bulk of a light bolted on it...
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Blain:
I never understood why someone would keep a light on their shotgun 24/7 (unless its your home defense gun that is sitting in wait).  The whole point of having the detachable light is that you can attach / detach when needed.  I see people firing their guns at the range at mid day with the lights bolted on their guns in videos and just scratch my head.  I can see firing a few shots to function / durability test the light, but realistically, once that's done, if you have to use your shotgun at night in a real world situation, you're not going to be firing boxes of shells through it.  

Same with a rifle, even in a combat zone I'd keep the light in a pouch and off the gun, not attaching until needed.  People are doing extensive range shooting during the day with the lights bolted on their guns....

If I'm using my gun during the day, I'm not keeping the weight and bulk of a light bolted on it...
View Quote

Do all combat zones happen exclusively outdoors during the day, or in locations with 100% reliable indoor lighting that is always on?

I get switching lights around if you can only afford a few good ones, but luckily I'm in a position that I can outfit all my guns with slings, lights and optics....and if they can't hold up to the range, zero chance I trust them for serious use.

As far as the weight goes, pushups dude.

Link Posted: 7/25/2024 4:06:28 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

The reason I ran 75 rds with my light on was to test for something like this to happen and that it stayed put. Had a TLR-1 on and the door latch unlatched and batteries went sailing.

See if your light can run off CR123.

Link Posted: 7/25/2024 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By greyeyezz:

The reason I ran 75 rds with my light on was to test for something like this to happen and that it stayed put. Had a TLR-1 on and the door latch unlatched and batteries went sailing.

See if your light can run off CR123.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53880125842_deb6f843a4_b.jpg  
View Quote

The one I have does not take 123's.  I very well may switch lights around and put something on there that does.  That being said, I will see how the flat top battery does, hopefully that ends up solving the issue.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Do all combat zones happen exclusively outdoors during the day, or in locations with 100% reliable indoor lighting that is always on?

I get switching lights around if you can only afford a few good ones, but luckily I'm in a position that I can outfit all my guns with slings, lights and optics....and if they can't hold up to the range, zero chance I trust them for serious use.

View All Quotes

If you are outdoors in a nice sunny range, why do you need a light?  Like I said, why do you have a light on when you're not going to be needing it / using it?  That's the point of having a DETACHABLE light attached.

And the less bulk and weight, the faster you can bring the weapon to bear.  It's not a matter of "strength", kid.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 9:12:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#15]

View All Quotes

Jesus, even when I have him on ignore his stupid posts still find a way. This time through quotes. If you aren't training like you fight, then you aren’t training. Removing your lights to make them less bulky at the range?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Jesus, even when I have him on ignore his stupid posts still find a way. This time through quotes. If you aren't training like you fight, then you aren’t training. Removing your lights to make them less bulky at the range?

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/IMG_0439_JPG-434.jpg
View Quote

So you would keep your light bolted on when fighting outdoors during the day when you don'r need it?
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Why are you such an asshole to everybody?
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

Just to add to your great response, how many of us are running light mounts that would require having an allen wrench to put on / take off? Fuck fooling with that everytime I wanted to shoot my rifle. Just leave it on and if it's gonna kill the light then you find out before you're in the dark.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Spiffums:
Just to add to your great response, how many of us are running light mounts that would require having an allen wrench to put on / take off? Fuck fooling with that everytime I wanted to shoot my rifle. Just leave it on and if it's gonna kill the light then you find out before you're in the dark.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Spiffums:

Most light rings have hand crankable knobs to attach / detach...

We're not talking about an optic, we're talking about situational tool that is only used during certain circumstances...  A tool that can add substantial weight and bulk to the gun, which is easily able to come off / on as needed....

Why WOULDN'T you take it off if not needed?
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Many shotgun instructors suggest you take the batteries out of your WMLs mounted to shotguns when running drills or having a range day. They see CR123's get the buttons flattened during long range days. Unless I'm specifically doing low light training, I take my batteries out of my Surefire while on the range. They go back in when I'm done as part of loading back up for "duty" use.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Drengr:
Many shotgun instructors suggest you take the batteries out of your WMLs mounted to shotguns when running drills or having a range day. They see CR123's get the buttons flattened during long range days. Unless I'm specifically doing low light training, I take my batteries out of my Surefire while on the range. They go back in when I'm done as part of loading back up for "duty" use.
View Quote

Makes plenty of sense, but if you're going to do that, might as well take the light off!  Why keep it bolted on?
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:32:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Marksman14] [#22]

We're not talking about an optic, we're talking about situational tool that is only used during certain circumstances...  A tool that can add substantial weight and bulk to the gun, which is easily able to come off / on as needed....

View Quote

Regarding the part in red, with the modular lights that are in production now (surefire, modlite, cloud), most either have built in mounts such as the surefire pro that is direct pic or mlok mountable.  Both require tools.  The others use the scout pattern holes, and I haven't seen a bolt on knob light mount for those in ages.  Most lights now don't have that, and require tools to remove/install.  

All of my lights are MLOK, so they would require tools to remove.  I use tapeswitches that are attached to the weapons as well on a majority of my setups.  I do not have a magic 8 ball that tells me what conditions I may be using the firearm in.  Im blown away that you would consider doing this, as you stated, in a combat zone.

Do you take your sling off if you don't plan to transition to a handgun, or plan to do a task that requires the use of your hands?  

If "weight and bulk" are your reasoning for taking it off, you're grossly out of shape and should probably focus on your overall health and strength before worrying about using a firearm for defensive purposes.

Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Take the battery out for practice/training. Shotguns kill batteries and lights.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Love my Keep Powers, but the buttons have this issue in hand held lights if you drop them on the bezel. I run them until they no longer work. I suspect a solid button wouldn't do this, but then the shock might get transferred directly to the cells causing additional issues. My Surefire G2x even has dual springs, but still has had this happen.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By jhon:
Love my Keep Powers, but the buttons have this issue in hand held lights if you drop them on the bezel. I run them until they no longer work. I suspect a solid button wouldn't do this, but then the shock might get transferred directly to the cells causing additional issues. My Surefire G2x even has dual springs, but still has had this happen.
View Quote

I have a cloud battery that is a flat top. I will leave it in the next few sessions and see what it can take and report back.

I have no problem taking the battery out for training, but now I'm curious to see what it can take.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#26]

I have a cloud battery that is a flat top. I will leave it in the next few sessions and see what it can take and report back.

I have no problem taking the battery out for training, but now I'm curious to see what it can take.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jhon:

I have literally never heard an instructor advocate removing the batteries while training. This includes Tom Givens and Clint Smith who I’ve taken classes with. Seems like a great way to forget to put batteries back in and have a dead weapon light on your gun when you need it. I’ve also never seen quality batteries that have deformed under recoil. If they are doing this it is time to find another brand as that problem is going to manifest itself in the real world just as easy as it does during training.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Regarding the part in red, with the modular lights that are in production now (surefire, modlite, cloud), most either have built in mounts such as the surefire pro that is direct pic or mlok mountable.  Both require tools.  The others use the scout pattern holes, and I haven't seen a bolt on knob light mount for those in ages.  Most lights now don't have that, and require tools to remove/install.  

All of my lights are MLOK, so they would require tools to remove.  I use tapeswitches that are attached to the weapons as well on a majority of my setups.  I do not have a magic 8 ball that tells me what conditions I may be using the firearm in.  Im blown away that you would consider doing this, as you stated, in a combat zone.

Do you take your sling off if you don't plan to transition to a handgun, or plan to do a task that requires the use of your hands?  

If "weight and bulk" are your reasoning for taking it off, you're grossly out of shape and should probably focus on your overall health and strength before worrying about using a firearm for defensive purposes.

View All Quotes

The fact that he is talking about mounts that are 20 years old compared to modern mounts and lights should tell you everything you need to know about his opinions. It sounds like some dumb stuff you use to read in gun rags in the 90s. Surefire Scout lights are not bulky and require tools to remove. A ring holding a handheld light in 2024? Eh, no thanks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#28]

I have literally never heard an instructor advocate removing the batteries while training. This includes Tom Givens and Clint Smith who I’ve taken classes with. Seems like a great way to forget to put batteries back in and have a dead weapon light on your gun when you need it. I’ve also never seen quality batteries that have deformed under recoil. If they are doing this it is time to find another brand as that problem is going to manifest itself in the real world just as easy as it does during training.
View Quote

I agree but I have seen a few reports of this now that I have poked around and done some looking.  The button tops seem to all be added on to the base cell, adding another layer of shit to go wrong.  The recommendation from the manufacturer was to try a flat top, which is exactly what I will do.

I haven't ever heard anything but good reviews on keeppower.

As stated, Im going to run the cloud battery, and maybe order some samsung 30Q's and see what the A300 will do to them.

There are a ton of pictures of guys here with lights on their shotguns, and nobody here has yet to say what 18650's they've had in them while actually shooting.  I'm all ears!
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Matt Haught recommended to a class I was in to remove batteries from your lights, which I did not. A300 with surefire 640DF and surefire battery. No issues to report since I’ve owned the gun. Probably 2-3k rounds.

Why remove the light? This sounds like an extra step to anything involving that particular gun. Set it up, load it, leave it. Charge or change the batteries occasionally, and maybe take the sling off for HD if that fits your philosophy. This is like saying you only load one at a time because it is lighter than when it’s fully loaded. That’s not gonna work when it matters.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I’m using the Surefires. They have a button top I believe. When I get home I’ll pull it and check it out.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Excellent.  I have a few surefires I can try as well.

Its going to be a while before I can test this, but I will give it a go.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 2:41:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blain] [#32]

View All Quotes

I use handheld lights that have mounts attach that are hand removable.  I much prefer the MODULARITY of that.  You tacticool bros used to be all about MODULARITY (or at least saying the catch phrase) but never actually take advantage of the modularity?

Why would I want a light that is quasi perma attached to my gun unless I was using my gun 100% in dark environments that require a light (I'm not)?  Like I already said, *IF* it's a dedicated home defense gun that will sit by your bed and is most likely to be used at night, then leaving a light on makes sense.  

Having the ability to throw a light on your gun as needed = good.  Having a light perma attached to your gun, esp a gun that will not see a lot of action at night =
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 9:44:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#33]
Excellent.  I have a few surefires I can try as well.

Its going to be a while before I can test this, but I will give it a go.
View Quote

It is kind of a button top. It’s not like a double AA or a 123A but it’s not flat either. Pic is kind of crap because there wasn’t much light and I didn’t want to wake the wife and dogs. Attachment Attached File

I use these batteries in SF lights on various rifles, a couple of shotguns and a lever action in 45-70. I’ve never had a problem with the bats or lights. I don’t have any streamlights on any long guns so I can’t really say one way or the other about the lights, the Streamlight 18650s and 123A brand bats have been in some of my SF lights and have been good to go.

The only recoil issue I’ve seen like this was back in the day we had Eotech 552s mounted on some of our shotguns and SAWs and the recoil was causing the springs that held the AA batteries to wear out and cause the lights to flicker or die. The fix was Eotech sent us some rubber bushings that went around the springs to keep things together. The batteries were fine though. This was 2005ish time frame and lithium bats weren’t a mainstream thing yet so the AAs we used had some mass to them. I don’t recall off the top of my head which lights we were using M951s or 961s, but we never had any problems with them either. This could just a one off thing too. I wonder if you tried another battery from that same company if you would have the same problem.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:42:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Many years ago as a rookie i went through a few shooting classes while on the side another officer and i owned a small gunshop. We were a SureFire dealer at the time as well. During the classes, there were a lot of lights failed, but not the SureFire lights.  Their batteries were made to survive the abuse they recieve from recoil, while everyone else who was running standard batteries had problems.  Getting the right tool for the job works out better, even down to the batteries.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 2:00:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Aaron Cowan released a video about his Beretta 1301. One thing he said was shotguns will destroy batteries and to use flat tops and not button tops.

Link Posted: 7/27/2024 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#36]

I use handheld lights that have mounts attach that are hand removable.  I much prefer the MODULARITY of that.  You tacticool bros used to be all about MODULARITY (or at least saying the catch phrase) but never actually take advantage of the modularity?

Why would I want a light that is quasi perma attached to my gun unless I was using my gun 100% in dark environments that require a light (I'm not)?  Like I already said, *IF* it's a dedicated home defense gun that will sit by your bed and is most likely to be used at night, then leaving a light on makes sense.  

Having the ability to throw a light on your gun as needed = good.  Having a light perma attached to your gun, esp a gun that will not see a lot of action at night =
View Quote

All my firearms are set up consistently, and all are set up with my job and home defense in mind, as that is my priority with firearms.  

Thus, they all have lights, slings, and optics, and I train with them set up as they would be used in those roles.  

You’ve made your point, and I disagree with it.  In that, we’ve been very consistent over the years.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:
Aaron Cowan released a video about his Beretta 1301. One thing he said was shotguns will destroy batteries and to use flat tops and not button tops.

View Quote

Excellent, thank you for that.  Consistent with other advice I’ve seen!
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 11:26:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:

View Quote

AC is a guy who has destroyed more lights and optics then I have owned in my life time, so I will heed his recommendation. That said, the SF 18650s I have been using across multiple guns haven't been damaged yet and some of those batteries have seen a whole lot of rounds. I think as long as you are using quality gear you are probably going to be alright. When you start attending classes especially the high round count courses over a weekend or a week, you start seeing lots of stuff start failing. This is why you should train the way you plan to use your weapon. I'd much rather learn on a square, one way range that a light or optic, or battery or any other gear or equipment isn't up to par then to learn that lesson after the real shooting starts. This is why IMO it is beyond dumb to remove things like your light or sling or anything else to make your gun easier to handle on the range. Train light you fight.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 1:00:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Drengr:
View Quote

This, I thought this was common knowledge
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

View Quote

If you’re like me and waited until your late 30s to get your first serious shotgun, you may have missed that
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#41]

If you’re like me and waited until your late 30s to get your first serious shotgun, you may have missed that
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 12:42:28 AM EDT
[#42]
No shock isolation for that light?
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Cloud Defense - designed and built with a battery jack
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By gunner-g:
Cloud Defense - designed and built with a battery jack
View Quote

No thanks.  I killed *two* Rein 3.0's in a Steve Fisher low light course.  Both started to flicker and dim.  I could "reset" them by unthreading and rethreading the head....for about 3-4 more rounds.
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 6:27:39 AM EDT
[#45]
I wonder how well these Battery Bumper (thick O-rings) would work.

https://malkoffdevices.com/products/battery-bumper-kit

"This Kit includes two battery bumper O-rings.  One each is placed in front of and behind rechargeable batteries.  The bumper rings help to alleviate damage to the switch and batteries sometimes associated with rough treatment of the light."

Link Posted: 10/2/2024 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Current light is one of the major manufacturers, for the time being I am not going to say anything about brand because I don't want to inadvertently put "blame" on them...as I have no reason to believe its the light manufacturers problem, and likely a weak battery.

The battery still works, but I went to give if a re-charge, and found this:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6045/IMG_1573_jpeg-3275896.JPG

For those of you running lights on your shotguns, have you ever seen this before?

I legitimately only have maybe 50-70 rounds through my shotgun with this light attached.
View Quote

Unfortunately that's the rule, not the exception. Every time you fire the gun the battery's inertia causes it to slam into the contact points of the light. Most batteries are not set up to handle that kind of abuse.

Train and practice with the battery out of the light as much as possible.
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
I wonder how well these Battery Bumper (thick O-rings) would work.

https://malkoffdevices.com/products/battery-bumper-kit

"This Kit includes two battery bumper O-rings.  One each is placed in front of and behind rechargeable batteries.  The bumper rings help to alleviate damage to the switch and batteries sometimes associated with rough treatment of the light."

https://malkoffdevices.com/cdn/shop/products/MD_Battery_Bumpers.jpg?v=1515192777
View Quote

Ordered a set to experiment with in the Streamlight TLR RM2 now residing on my Mossberg 940 Thunder Ranch.
If it will fit, I plan on using 3 of them w/CR123's spaced between the batteries & fore/aft contact points.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top