Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:

Same. You gotta buy to try. We should have a combined yard sale
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
Well, my need for a pack for this summer prompted me to just hit the "F" it button and purchase a CF2 for my overnight trips.  Ordered it today, so hopefully that's some money into Diz's pocket since I wouldn't have pulled the trigger on the CF2 if he hadn't been so helpful throughout his time here on ARFCOM.

I need to put up a lot of stuff for sale this summer on the E&E or Ebay.   I've got like a small surplus shop now worth of tactical nylon stuff that I've T&E and have decided to just toss it in a box in my basement.

Same. You gotta buy to try. We should have a combined yard sale

Or, you should keep it all for your support team you don't know is coming!
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By raf:
MOLLE I packs are getting hard to find, since MOLLE I was superseded by MOLLE II.

Again, posting as a friend and supporter; I would not make so much of a fuss unless I didn't think it worth your considering.

This might be a MOLLE I Main Pack: https://thunderheadoutfitters.com/molle-main-pack-woodland/

There's a few MOLLE I Main packs for sale on eBay.  Inspect pix closely; you are looking for a MOLLE Main Pack without the integral, zippered sleep system compartment found on the MOLLE II Main pack.  Round arc of zipper for sleep system compartment on MOLLE II is a tell-tale.

As always, ask questions of vendor.  Most MOLLE I packs were made in Woodland camo, but some "collectors' items" were made in Desert Camo.

Yeah, I have examples of both.

View Quote

I'm pretty sure what I had awhile back was a MOLLE 1.

It had this stupid attachment buckle which dug right into my back, between my shoulder blades which caused me no end of grief.

I rat-fucked it and added the straps, kidney pad and belt to a large ALICE pack I have, which worked out very well.

Also just picked up a current issue large ruck (in MC) for so cheap I don't even want to say what I paid for it! So far, I like it a lot - except for overloading it, of course!

Eh. I've been working on my core-strength, so I'm sure I'll grow into it.

Oh! I keep a med ALICE in my GF's car as my get home bag. Get this...it's in MARPAT! LOL

Sorry for the hi-jack! Great thread, guys!
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Former11BRAVO:

It had this stupid attachment buckle which dug right into my back, between my shoulder blades which caused me no end of grief.

I rat-fucked it and added the straps, kidney pad and belt to a large ALICE pack I have, which worked out very well.

Also just picked up a current issue large ruck (in MC) for so cheap I don't even want to say what I paid for it! So far, I like it a lot - except for overloading it, of course!

Oh! I keep a med ALICE in my GF's car as my get home bag. Get this...it's in MARPAT! LOL

View Quote

The Marpat is probably one of those european ones, some country - albania or something - canceled an order after they were made (probably made in italy too), so they got surplussed out real cheap.  Supposed to be decent little packs.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 2:44:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperStormBryan] [#4]
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:

The Marpat is probably one of those european ones, some country - albania or something - canceled an order after they were made (probably made in italy too), so they got surplussed out real cheap.  Supposed to be decent little packs.
View Quote

I got one of those from Coleman's.  The straps it came with were awful, for me at least.  One trip out and I did the Hellcat thing with a set of MOLLE straps and belt, now its my favorite setup for camping.  Epoxy rounded the frame ends and rattle canned it out of boredom.

$120~ dollars well spent.

I haven't read this whole thread, but I'm in for any modern new production ALICE style packs that are decent and sub $300.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SuperStormBryan:

I got one of those from Coleman's.  The straps it came with were awful, for me at least.  One trip out and I did the Hellcat thing with a set of MOLLE straps and belt, now its my favorite setup for camping.  Epoxy rounded the frame ends and rattle canned it out of boredom.

https://i.imgur.com/nEY9rLoh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5yvsnlPh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/FL2ASOuh.jpg

$120~ dollars well spent.

I haven't read this whole thread, but I'm in for any modern new production ALICE style packs that are decent and sub $300.
View Quote

The straps that come with those, if I remember right, are basically stock oldschool ALICE pack straps.  Which generally suck for most people.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 1:37:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Another question.  Should I leave the little rings up under the frame that are on the pack itself that you can use to attach straps directly to the pack?

Or leave them off and attach straps directly to the frame only?
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Another question.  Should I leave the little rings up under the frame that are on the pack itself that you can use to attach straps directly to the pack?

Or leave them off and attach straps directly to the frame only?
View Quote

You are referring to the rings on the medium ALICE that allow you to attach shoulder straps directly to the pack, forgoing a frame? (Unlike large ALICE, which does not have this feature)

If so, I would vote in favor for deletion. Plenty of lightweight, medium sized, frameless packs out there.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 8:33:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#8]
Suggest keeping the upper rings and lower shoulder strap attachment points as doing so adds versatility at scant cost.  Why limit the pack to framed use only?

What's really needed for all ALICE packs is a decent and affordable set of shoulder straps perhaps similar to the GI LC-2 "Enhanced" shoulder straps.

Lots of images on the web; a Y/T vid: HERE

Link Posted: 9/26/2024 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Suggest keeping the upper rings and lower shoulder strap attachment points as doing so adds versatility at scant cost.  Why limit the pack to framed use only?

What's really needed for all ALICE packs is a decent and affordable set of shoulder straps perhaps similar to the GI LC-2 "Enhanced" shoulder straps.

View Quote

What are your definitions of 'decent' and 'affordable' in this instance?
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 9:22:04 AM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

Something much like Tactical Tailor Super Straps   but considerably more affordable.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 9:31:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Something much like Tactical Tailor Super Straps   but considerably more affordable.
View Quote

What is your definition of 'more affordable'? $40? $50?
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 10:06:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#12]

View All Quotes

Depends on the production cost.  Grey Ghost Gear (associated with TT) makes M/C shoulder straps for $70 (vice $83 for TT M/C Super Straps), presumably overseas.  Something less than that, I would hope.  Perhaps I was spoiled by the relatively cheap surplus LC-2 "Enhanced" straps which used to be easily available.

GGG Shoulder Straps
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Depends on the production cost.  Grey Ghost Gear (associated with TT) makes M/C shoulder straps for $70 (vice $83 for TT M/C Super Straps), presumably overseas.  Something less than that, I would hope.  Perhaps I was spoiled by the relatively cheap surplus LC-2 "Enhanced" straps which used to be easily available.

GGG Shoulder Straps
View Quote

It does depend on production cost, but I'm not asking about production cost. I am asking you, a consumer, with the ears of potential manufacturers here as we have this conversation, what would you like to see something similar to the TTs cost. What are they worth to you?

LC2 straps are still easily available and less than $80.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#14]

You are referring to the rings on the medium ALICE that allow you to attach shoulder straps directly to the pack, forgoing a frame? (Unlike large ALICE, which does not have this feature)

If so, I would vote in favor for deletion. Plenty of lightweight, medium sized, frameless packs out there.
View Quote

Yes.  That's what I'm talking about.

I'm tempted to delete them too.  However, one of the polymer frames that people retro-fit into ALICE packs doesn't have strap attachment points at the top of the frame.  And you'd need to use the rings.

And Raf - the rings would be something like $2 / materials cost and would probably add $5 to the pack cost.  Which doesn't seem much, but $5 here and $5 there will quickly price the pack out of being popular.

Link Posted: 9/26/2024 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

While I agree.....

^^  This.  

Just straight up, Tactical Tailor isn't massively marking up these.  Straps like this are pretty labor intensive + expensive hardware and materials.

I could cut my margins to way less than what they are doing them for, but they can mass produce stuff like that far cheaper than I can.

Basically, that's what good pack straps cost.

Ain't going to happen unless I had them made in Vietnam.  

It does depend on production cost, but I'm not asking about production cost. I am asking you, a consumer, with the ears of potential manufacturers here as we have this conversation, what would you like to see something similar to the TTs cost. What are they worth to you?

LC2 straps are still easily available and less than $80.

^^  This.  I'm not really going to mess much with straps and belts, other than to make sure they work with as many options as I can.  There are a TON of straps and belts and frames out there that people will end up swapping things around anyways.  I might stock a couple frames and a couple straps / harnesses (Hill People Gear harnesses work well on this size of pack) and belts from other people, to give people the option of getting turn-key setups vs. just the pack bag itself that they can then customize to their own needs.  But I am not going to re-invent the wheel when it comes to straps and such.  Not when alot of people make good ones already.  Maybe eventually, but not now.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#16]

I'm tempted to delete them too.  However, one of the polymer frames that people retro-fit into ALICE packs doesn't have strap attachment points at the top of the frame.  And you'd need to use the rings.

And Raf - the rings would be something like $2 / materials cost and would probably add $5 to the pack cost.  Which doesn't seem much, but $5 here and $5 there will quickly price the pack out of being popular.

View Quote

All one has to do is use a bar of plastic, aluminum, or whatever works for you (you could even make something relatively nice and sell it as a kit) the length of the top of the frame sleeve, pushed to the top so that it runs across the sleeve, distributing the load into the sleeve as a frame would, which also gives you the attachment points needed for the shoulder straps.

You can make it as fancy or as simple as you like.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#17]

All one has to do is use a bar of plastic, aluminum, or whatever works for you (you could even make something relatively nice and sell it as a kit) the length of the top of the frame sleeve, pushed to the top so that it runs across the sleeve, distributing the load into the sleeve as a frame would, which also gives you the attachment points needed for the shoulder straps.

You can make it as fancy or as simple as you like.
View Quote

Hrmmm....that's a good idea actually.  Noted.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I can't take credit for it, just passing it along

I was going to say that you could leave 2 reinforced pass-through slots open on the top-back pack body circumferential seam where I think I recall the rings being stitched into (I no longer have a medium ALICE for reference). That way you could pass rings and webbing up through these slots from the inside of the pack with a similar connecting rod to spread the load when desired, but that seemed silly since the sleeve is already there to do that very job. Plus it adds ingress points to the main pack body for water, dirt, etc.
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 11:42:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#19]

I can't take credit for it, just passing it along

I was going to say that you could leave 2 reinforced pass-through slots open on the top-back pack body circumferential seam where I think I recall the rings being stitched into (I no longer have a medium ALICE for reference). That way you could pass rings and webbing up through these slots from the inside of the pack with a similar connecting rod to spread the load when desired, but that seemed silly since the sleeve is already there to do that very job. Plus it adds ingress points to the main pack body for water, dirt, etc.
View Quote
Yes, the bar (or tube) cut to size and installed into the upper ventral padded pocket present on most ALICE packs can serve as an upper attachment point for shoulder straps, as well as a carry handle.  One will still need lower attachment points for common shoulder straps, though.

The (hopefully) sturdy aluminum tube can be capped with common copper pipe caps, and the inside can be used for storage of infrequently needed emergency items.  If the tube is cut properly, and the ends/edges of the tube are properly "dressed", O-rings can be used within the copper caps to waterproof the tube and its contents.   A simple sheet of instructions about how to make this item can be included with the pack, or a link to an on-line YouTube DIY video.

I had forgotten that this mod was discussed long ago in the huge "Alice Gear" thread here.  In fact, I've made one myself.  The concept works.
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes, the bar (or tube) cut to size and installed into the upper ventral padded pocket present on most ALICE packs can serve as an upper attachment point for shoulder straps, as well as a carry handle.  One will still need lower attachment points for common shoulder straps, though.

The (hopefully) sturdy aluminum tube can be capped with common copper pipe caps, and the inside can be used for storage of infrequently needed emergency items.  If the tube is cut properly, and the ends/edges of the tube are properly "dressed", O-rings can be used within the copper caps to waterproof the tube and its contents.   A simple sheet of instructions about how to make this item can be included with the pack, or a link to an on-line DIY video.
View Quote

Yeah, I don't think deleting the lower attachment straps was ever on the table. It certainly shouldn't be, as that was one of the truly aggravating things about the Spec-Ops medium ALICE copy.

Using the support bar as emergency storage is clever.
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 11:51:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#21]

View All Quotes

Yes, pennies turn into dollars eventually.  Suggest that the upper attachment point for most shoulder straps has been addressed by using the "bar/tube" mod suggested above.

Unfortunately, some sort of decent lower shoulder strap attachment point will still be required, but not necessarily the scheme used in GI ALICE packs.
Link Posted: 9/28/2024 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

@marnsdorff
Hope you’re ok with this storm & staying dry.

For the packs you’re making will I simply need one of these to use it?   Any idea when you want your monies?

https://tacticaltailor.com/low-profile-super-straps/
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By bdover:

@marnsdorff
Hope you’re ok with this storm & staying dry.

For the packs you’re making will I simply need one of these to use it?   Any idea when you want your monies?

https://tacticaltailor.com/low-profile-super-straps/
View Quote

First chance at internet, still without power.  I'm smack in the middle of all this stuff up here.  Me and mine are perfectly fine, other than my grandmother missing the TV and no showers.

It's pretty bad up here in places.  They say some places in the county are completely cut off, as in supplies being delivered via helicopter and MONTHS before road and power gets through.

I'm only going to be making the pack bag, at least at first.  You will be needing a frame, straps, and belt.  I AM planning on offering some basic options you can order with the pack bag that will give you a turn key setup - probably surplus straps, belt, and frame.  But most people will probably want their own stuff.  And yea, those would work for straps.

I'm not taking money right now - I'm still a bit aways from doing the packs.  This storm up here is pushing me back further, though it is giving me time to start to take my pattern example medium alice apart for pattern making purposes.
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#24]

First chance at internet, still without power.  I'm smack in the middle of all this stuff up here.  Me and mine are perfectly fine, other than my grandmother missing the TV and no showers.

It's pretty bad up here in places.  They say some places in the county are completely cut off, as in supplies being delivered via helicopter and MONTHS before road and power gets through.

I'm only going to be making the pack bag, at least at first.  You will be needing a frame, straps, and belt.  I AM planning on offering some basic options you can order with the pack bag that will give you a turn key setup - probably surplus straps, belt, and frame.  But most people will probably want their own stuff.  And yea, those would work for straps.

I'm not taking money right now - I'm still a bit aways from doing the packs.  This storm up here is pushing me back further, though it is giving me time to start to take my pattern example medium alice apart for pattern making purposes.
View Quote

Stay safe down there.
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

@marnsdorff stay safe & holler if you need anything.
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 7:30:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lew] [#26]
@marnsdorff

Good luck. I don't know if there's much that I can do from The Rocky Mountains, but shout it out anyway if ya need it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2024 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Stay safe down there.
View All Quotes

Stay safe down there.

Originally Posted By bdover:

@marnsdorff stay safe & holler if you need anything.

Originally Posted By lew:
@marnsdorff

Good luck. I don't know if there's much that I can do from The Rocky Mountains, but shout it out anyway if ya need it.

Thanks guys.  I'm doing fine.  Still no power or cell service.

FEMA JUST got here and set up in town and up and running yesterday.  Rented ALL the hotel rooms in town.  The VAST majority of the response around here has been private.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 2:02:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Thanks guys.  I'm doing fine.  Still no power or cell service.

FEMA JUST got here and set up in town and up and running yesterday.  Rented ALL the hotel rooms in town.  The VAST majority of the response around here has been private.  
View Quote

Ok so I'm putting in an order from one of my fabric sources, and getting a bunch of ranger green fabric for the prototypes of these packs.  I have a few projects for customers I need to catch up on before I actually can do the packs, but I am ordering fabric, so it's definitely going to happen.  

If anyone is interested in getting in on one of the prototypes for close to materials cost, and want something besides ranger green, let me know asap, I'll probably be putting this order in late tonight.  I do have multicam and woodland in stock already, I try to keep those around all the time.
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Ok so I'm putting in an order from one of my fabric sources, and getting a bunch of ranger green fabric for the prototypes of these packs.  I have a few projects for customers I need to catch up on before I actually can do the packs, but I am ordering fabric, so it's definitely going to happen.  

If anyone is interested in getting in on one of the prototypes for close to materials cost, and want something besides ranger green, let me know asap, I'll probably be putting this order in late tonight.  I do have multicam and woodland in stock already, I try to keep those around all the time.
View Quote

Sir, I'm interested in one.  I'd take pretty much any earth tone or camo you've got, or would like to use.
Link Posted: 10/11/2024 12:27:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By SuperStormBryan:

Sir, I'm interested in one.  I'd take pretty much any earth tone or camo you've got, or would like to use.
View Quote

I put the order in a little while ago, lots of Ranger green cordura.  So Ranger green it is!  
Link Posted: 10/11/2024 12:57:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperStormBryan] [#31]

I put the order in a little while ago, lots of Ranger green cordura.  So Ranger green it is!  
View Quote

That'll work.

Just holler at me when its ready, zero rush, I know ya'll are fresh off that storm.  Glad ya'll came through the storm okay.
Link Posted: 10/11/2024 3:51:38 AM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

If I remember right, I got it from Sportsman's Guide 12-15 years ago, so you're probably correct. One thing I'm pleasantly surprised about is how it looks w/NODs. That Marine-issue MOLLE-1 is gawd awful!

OP, good luck to you and your family, friends and neighbors. Me and the GF sent some stuff down your way through a local church, but I very much wish I was in a position to order a bag from you.

God bless everyone in the affected regions. Just...a terrible situation.
Link Posted: 10/11/2024 8:53:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#33]
Just ordered a "Euro Surplus" Marpat ALICE pack rig from Coleman's.  I'll drop a quick review in this Forum once received.

"Quickie" review HERE.
Link Posted: 10/11/2024 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#34]

If I remember right, I got it from Sportsman's Guide 12-15 years ago, so you're probably correct. One thing I'm pleasantly surprised about is how it looks w/NODs. That Marine-issue MOLLE-1 is gawd awful!

OP, good luck to you and your family, friends and neighbors. Me and the GF sent some stuff down your way through a local church, but I very much wish I was in a position to order a bag from you.

View Quote

I'm just glad I finally have power and can get back to work again.  I can't say the same for everyone else around me who doesn't have power, or doesn't have a house.  Buddy of mine went back to find his house half a mile away from his land, shredded and crushed in the treeline across the field.  His 1969 Mustang he was almost done restoring was almost all the way to the treeline.
Link Posted: 10/11/2024 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Just ordered a "Euro Surplus" Marpat ALICE pack rig from Coleman's.  I'll drop a quick review in this Forum once received.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/11/2024 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#36]

I'm just glad I finally have power and can get back to work again.  I can't say the same for everyone else around me who doesn't have power, or doesn't have a house.  Buddy of mine went back to find his house half a mile away from his land, shredded and crushed in the treeline across the field.  His 1969 Mustang he was almost done restoring was almost all the way to the treeline.
View All Quotes

Damn
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

I can't begin to imagine what that must be like for your buddy.

Just...damn.
Link Posted: 10/14/2024 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Buddy of mine, they are pastors of a small church up on the NC / TN line.  They just finally posted a bunch of pictures today.  Finally got internet access.  Their house and church are ok, but I've seen pictures - their 'road' that ran to their house is now a new creekbed.  One of their cars is now part of the bank.  They are being told another 4 weeks before they get electricity.

Their church had the river rise up to within about a foot or two of the foundation, completely covered their parking lot with 2' of mud, luckily the church was up on a little artificial hill.  They cleared the parking lot and it's currently the center of the recovery effort for their little community.  Most of the rest of the tiny town (like 5 buildings?) were destroyed.  People have been riding to church on horses and 4 wheelers, as some of the community, that's the only way they can get in and out of their houses still.  They are still trying to get the main road to the town itself stabilized before it washes away completely.

They were lucky, they didn't lose their house or church, and have been able to help a bunch of others.  Alot of others in their community haven't been so lucky.  It's people like them and the rest who stepped up who saved a bunch of people's lives and stopped this from being far far far worse than it could have turned out being.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top