Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2024 6:47:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ACDer]
Thought I'd post up this rifle as its one of the non-SAI types out there. This is an early FO built in 1988 with all GI parts, mostly HR with some Winchester. I  have the original box, headspace and inspection tags. It was shipped with a US GI fiberglass stock that had the selector cut out filled and the butt modified to use a Garand butt plate. I've replaced that with a GI walnut stock from Treeline.
Theres a lot of debate on FO rifles but this early one shoots great and has never missed a beat. The later ones with chinese parts tend to get bad reviews.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 9:42:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I had one around that time but not long.  I was far from an expert then.  The bolt kept dismounting from the op rod.  

Probably a worn parts issue but the shop took it back and gave me store credit.  They said when the got it back from Fed Ord it had a new bolt or op rod and worked fine.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks like you got one of the nice ones.  The all USGI guns with the commercial receiver are excellent as they started with good parts.  The parts alone are worth a bundle now days.  The box and tags definitely help add to it.  

The problem with the Fed Ord guns is you have to know what you are looking for to know if it's a good one or not. The early guns are usually pretty great with all USGI parts and good to go.  Yes, there can be minor fitting problems that can be addressed by switching out the problem parts.  It's later guns when USGI parts started drying up that Fed Ord was sourcing from all over the place.  I'm sure they have problem parts that they force fit together as well when parts started getting harder to get.  

I have always loved the M14 rifle.  I currently have a Norinco that I got for a decent deal, it came with a USGI stock & trigger group assembly.  I plan on doing a Blackhawk Down clone but running a 3x PA Prism instead of an Aimpoint (my astigmatism is bad).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top