Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

My Journey to Reloading (Page 13 of 13)
Page / 13
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:10:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cascade-Dude] [#1]
Another 690 .223 cases added to the stockpile.

This should put my total stash at around 2,300 .223 cases. Almost 600 of them are PMC X-TAX cases with the PSD headstamp. When I get my home and livestock defense loads sorted and am ready to load them in bulk, I'd like to do it in blocks of 1,000 rounds of the same headstamp.

And in an ideal world, I'll get enough brass I don't need that I can barter for the powder I'll need to fill them up and maybe for blasting bullets too.

I think I'm just getting started with range brass, in other words.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Love the bling.
View Quote

Thanks! I learned from the best.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Four hours and seven 40-grit discs later, the first sanding is almost complete. I spent some time on the top of all the the intersections that will be under the top, to take down any high spots and make it all as level and flat as possible. I need to get out the triangle-head detail sander and finish up the spots that were too tight for the random orbital (second pic). There were a lot of big chips that had to be removed and sanded down (third pic). I don't expect the other sanding runs to take nearly as long.

I sanded everything. The bottom of the feet, the parts of the frame that will be covered with plywood ... everything. I'll keep doing so, too. I like sanding. I always have.

My 30-year old B&D random orbital sander worked like a champ. I couldn't be happier with it.

\\

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:58:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:31:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Cascade-Dude:
Four hours and seven 40-grit discs later, the first sanding is almost complete. I spent some time on the top of all the the intersections that will be under the top, to take down any high spots and make it all as level and flat as possible.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/582146/Bench_after_1st_Sanding_40-grit-3209035.jpg

View Quote

You most definitely got your stuff together AND well sorted out sir.

You have much better workmanship skills than you give yourself credit for...

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:49:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Get some wood filler to fill those holes. Let dry, sand off smooth. I like the Minwax that comes in a squeeze tube.

Will look much better than the hole.
View Quote

Thanks! I have some Minwax filler in a tub. I'll get right on that as soon as I finish with 40-grit in the small sander for the spots I could get with the larger sander.

1) I should do that before I use the 80-, 120-, and possibly 220-grit, right?

2) I'm also planning to use filler in the screw head countersinks unless there's a reason I shouldn't?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:51:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Aaron56:

You most definitely got your stuff together AND well sorted out sir.

You have much better workmanship skills than you give yourself credit for...

View Quote

Thank you very much, sir. You are very kind.

I'm kind of surprised it turned out so well. I'm happy with the result even if it took three starts to get it squared away. I need to stay patient while I get the rest done.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#11]
1. Filler, then 40 grit. Finer grit takes too long to take it down.
Your filler is fine. Keep lid closed tightly, as filler will dry out fast.
Why I like the squeeze tube = no filler loss due to dry out. Roger that. Thanks! I should fill in all the cracks and such in the knots too, right? I sanded down the roughest spots with the 40-grit but there are still some places where there are still depressions. I know I could spackle it on using a putty knife but it would cover up the grain of a large enough are to notice.

2. That is what is normally done on higher end finishes. Fill, dry, sand smooth with 40 grit. Check. While my bench may not be worthy of a high-end finish, I'd like to try to give it one so I can learn how to do it.I've painted a gazillion things and maybe stained one, around 1976 or so, LOL.

One thing to remember before staining, any visible scratch will show through the stain/Poly. Gotcha. I'll go over it wit a fine tooth comb when I'm putting on the filler.

Not like build up primer when doing body work on a car. Which is like using grout on a ceramic tile job to hide minor alignment problems. So stain and poly is like skin-tight clothes, eh? No place to hide. Thanks.

The way I apply stain, starting on the bottom to get the hang of it, brush on a small section, wipe stain around until it's absorbed. No puddles.
Repeat. Roger, copy. I'm actually looking forward to that step. There's something Chán (Zen) about it that appeals to me. Like sanding.

Once stain is done on bottom flip bench over and do the top. Not going to effect the bottom of the legs you will never see.

I like to let stain dry overnight and start poly the next day. I should get all the staining done in one session, right?

For you it will be install shelfs, stain shelfs. I would install top last. That makes sense, thanks. I'm going to double-layer the bottom shelves with 3/4" ply and melamine, just like the top. And trim the edges of the ply with furring strips like the top. Between that and the additional brace I added on your suggestion, they should be able to hold a bunch of weight.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I should have sanded some of the lumber before installing it. The space in between the double braces on either side of each leg is too small for my detail sander too. I'm going to try a flap wheel on a drill and if that doesn't work, it will be an old-school sanding block job. It shouldn't be too bad except for that exceptionally dark lumber stamp in the photo above. The darker it is, the deeper it goes.

Oh well, it is what it is. No sense crying when I could just get 'er done.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:08:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#13]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:12:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#15]

You only want filler in the holes. Fill a knot, it will be real noticeable. Experiment on a piece of scrap. Myself I fill them.

Where to stop? Do bottom, let dry, do top next time. Just don't stop half way down a board, finish that board. The old "keep a wet edge".

Bottom shelfs; 3/4 is overkill. 2 layers is crazy.

I would use 3/8 or 1/2 inch, But if all you have is 3/4, use it. One layer, that's why you added the brace.

Yes furring strips to hide the plywood/melamine end grain is mandatory on this quality of build.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You only want filler in the holes. Fill a knot, it will be real noticeable. Experiment on a piece of scrap. Myself I fill them.

Where to stop? Do bottom, let dry, do top next time. Just don't stop half way down a board, finish that board. The old "keep a wet edge".

Bottom shelfs; 3/4 is overkill. 2 layers is crazy.

I would use 3/8 or 1/2 inch, But if all you have is 3/4, use it. One layer, that's why you added the brace.

Yes furring strips to hide the plywood/melamine end grain is mandatory on this quality of build.

Great information and tips, thanks!

I will have more than half the 4' x 8' sheets of both 3/4" and melamine remaining after I make the top, so I have plenty of both. I think I'll use the plywood for it and save the melamine for who-knows-what.

It's still a few days down the road but should I finish the furring strips before attaching or after, please?

quality of build.

High praise indeed. Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#17]
By finish do you mean stain, or stain and poly?

On my bench, after trim was installed, I then stained & poly'd.  Masked off the top.
View Quote

I meant both. I'll finish it after its installed. Thanks. :)
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#18]
My wife spotted this at Harbor Freight the other day, thought it would be helpful in sorting the mountains of 9mm brass I'm collecting, and went back later to buy it for me as a surprise. Sorting 9mm brass is way down on my to-do list for this month but I think she's right and it will make it easier.

"The love of a good woman is more valuable than all the gold in the world."
-- Me.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I use similar bins for sorting brass and bullets.

https://i.imgur.com/aYBTalCl.jpg

I put a piece of blue masking tape where label goes and label with a sharpie.

https://i.imgur.com/r6KaQgSl.jpg

Or make labels for a pic.

View Quote

Nice. Very organized. As usual with you.  

I will do the same, to be sure.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#22]
I've been a bit distracted from reloading to knock out some other projects. I plan to finish my bench next week, get everything organized and set up, and maybe start reloading the week after next.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#23]
All of the 9mm brass from the most recent haul has been cleaned too. There's even more of it than last time. Maybe more than 6,000 9mm cases.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Target stands are nice. Just don't let new shooters destroy it 'cause they can't stay on the paper.

Voice of experience.
View Quote

Thanks. That shooter you mentioned may very well be me this weekend when I put one of them out at 300 yards and try to hit it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Target stands are nice. Just don't let new shooters destroy it 'cause they can't stay on the paper.

Voice of experience.
View Quote

FYI, I'll also be using them to shoot the rest of the 55 grain VMAX loads you helped me load during training, at 100 yards. So I'll know what to do next to finish developing that load.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#28]
If your rifle is sighted in at 100 yds, you will should not hit your frames.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cascade-Dude:

FYI, I'll also be using them to shoot the rest of the 55 grain VMAX loads you helped me load during training, at 100 yards. So I'll know what to do next to finish developing that load.
If your rifle is sighted in at 100 yds, you will should not hit your frames.

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#29]
If your rifle is sighted in at 100 yds, you will not hit your frames.
View Quote

The first thing I'll be using them for ... is sighting in three sets of MBIUs, two prisms, a red dot, and an LVPO ... at 100 yards. Though I may have access to a gong at 100 yards and could get them close enough to that before switching to my stands.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By cat-mechanic:

Fixed it.
View Quote

Ah, you've seen me shoot ...
Page / 13
Next Page Arrow Left
My Journey to Reloading (Page 13 of 13)
Top Top