User Panel

NEF Handi Rifles (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pomyluy:

I'll buy a Henry single shot as soon as they make one in .22 LR. Why's it taking so long?!
View Quote

Good question. Probably not much market though when their lever actions are similar enough in price, and the AR-7 is a lighter and smaller takedown.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 9:34:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By mike_nds:
Henry makes a 22 single shot

https://www.henryusa.com/wp-content/uploads/rifles/Minibolt-Hero_2024.jpg
View Quote

Doesn't look like a break action to me, surely you're aware of the difference.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Pomyluy:

Doesn't look like a break action to me, surely you're aware of the difference.
View Quote

Sounds like the take down requirement got lost in the thread.

Henry makes a break open in centerfire calibers.  It doesn't appear there's a break open rimfire option available

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/single-shot-rifle/
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:03:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I tracked down the castings houses and the injection molding company.

All the tooling is gone.

The CAPEX to restart it isn't worth it with the cheap imports coming in.
View Quote

Thanks Mike!
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Moondog:

Sounds like the take down requirement got lost in the thread.

Henry makes a break open in centerfire calibers.  It doesn't appear there's a break open rimfire option available

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/single-shot-rifle/
View Quote

I don't see why Henry couldn't do the same thing Thompson Center did with the Encore and drill the bore off center.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 2:30:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 10:37:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By fgshoot:

I don't see why Henry couldn't do the same thing Thompson Center did with the Encore and drill the bore off center.
View Quote

No doubt.  I have a Rossi Matched Pair with an offset .22 barrel.  They are only offering centerfire barrels at this moment.

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Of course, I was just being silly.
View Quote

You were supposed to say "Don't call me Shirley "
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#10]
When i worked at a church camp we used 20ga H&R/NEF single shots for shotgun shooting. Sometimes the guns would go through 300-500 rounds a day.  The later years this was the same exact action that was used in the Handi Rifle variants. Only problem we had was springs would eventually wear out (hammer and extractor) and occationally the transfer bar would break. i had ordered some one time, needed two or three, but got a deal on a pack of 10 or 12, so i ordered that instead thinking i might need them later. After several years there were still 6 or 7 left when i went to another job. Probably will not ever need one, but without that transfer bar it becomes useless, would be good to put a few away just in case.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I had an NEF in 444 Marlin, I wish I still had it but traded it for a ruger 480 redhawk.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 12:21:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#12]
Originally Posted By shotar:

I suspected this to be the case.  Right now, that market belongs to Bergara  ( CVA) and maybe Henry and Rossi.  I admit that my CVA Bergara 45/70 is a hoot to shoot and I like it far better than I did my previous Marlin 1895.  That said, I have one and don't see me buying another.  As mentioned the guy who used to buy the handi rifle can now get a Savage Axis or similar for $400 probably with scope on sale, and it's going to be a far better tool to kill a deer or whatever with.  

Those buying the new Handi rifle would be buying it for a kid, or nostalgia or something.  As a serious hunting tool, they'd likely buy something else at the price you'd have to charge to make a profit.
View Quote

There is a separate market.  Many states have a special "primitive weapons" deer hunting season.  It is not just for black powder single shot muzzle loaders.  It includes center fire straight walled cartridges that have been in production for more than a hundred years fired in break-action exposed hammer single shot rifles.  These rifles in .45-70 qualify.  That's the attraction for me.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Friend of mine had one in 22 Hornet and it was very accurate, factory ammo, held maybe a inch at 100yds, pretty good for a $200 rifle back in the day.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 1:52:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Picked up a Traditions G3 outfitter.  Gonna sbr both.  Bottom pic isn’t mine.

Link Posted: 8/7/2024 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I was a huge fan of them years ago. I like oddball guns. But never got around to getting one. Sad to say. But the Bergara made CVA scouts are one hell of a rifle. Unfortunately you can't get new barrels for them.

Neat thing about them is they use a hanger system from the factory so you are free floated from the get go.

Got mine in 300blk for my first gun in 300blk to get the full use of subsonics. Also picked this over a bolt action so I could use some bunny fart loads loaded with the Hornady 90gr .309 XTP pistol bullets for pest control.

Attachment Attached File

They made the pistol in 6.5 Grendel. If they made the rifle in the caliber with the 16 inch barrel or even 18 I would jump on that so fast my credit card would be on fire. Would be my dedicated hunting rifle.

For everyone who has one, how is the finish on your receiver? Mine is rough enough to use as a rasp on wood.
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Gr8Santini:
Picked up a Traditions G3 outfitter.  Gonna sbr both.  Bottom pic isn’t mine.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23396/IMG_2886-3284477.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23396/IMG_2887-3284478.jpg
View Quote

Damn, that outfitter with the youth LOP stock is SLICK
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 6:10:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

Brought the CVA with me on vacation. When I was in Tennessee I stopped at Smokey mountain knife works and the Buds gun shop range before heading home. Had a great time testing everything out.

The TX22 gen 2 and the CVA were my favorite that session. There are a few rifles not shown that were also shot.

Been too long since I haven gotten to shoot, it showed. Need to get back into it more regularly.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Rugged KISS rifle that is easy to handload for since you only need to resize the neck and you can shoot anything from the mildest load that will exit the barrel up to pushing the edge of energy, velocity and performance and with every bullet style. Easy to clean and maintain. Just don’t try to disassemble the hammer/trigger mechanism unless your other hobbies include self-flagellation.

Despite being a single-shot, they are quick to reload, if you carry your cartridges for efficient presentation.

Many models came with or can be fitted with a picatinny rail for easy mounting of optics.

If you are experiencing accuracy issues, re-cutting and recessing the crown can do wonders.

Triggers are just “meh” but avoid the temptation to take them apart. Juice is not worth the squeeze.

Inherently safe as when the barrel is opened, the gun is unloaded and if the hammer is down the gun is on “safe”.

I wish they were still manufactured.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Rossi and CVA make single shots.  For a little extra a Ruger American is a better investment.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Currently own 3 HR/ NEF:

17HMR
2x .410

Had one in 20g and one of the AAC BO and  wish I still had them both.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Makarov:

View Quote

See the post above you. The NEF guns were good but we have better options now a days. An With TC coming back we should see more of the contenders and encores again.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 11:21:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By MDStroup:

See the post above you. The NEF guns were good but we have better options now a days. An With TC coming back we should see more of the contenders and encores again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Have they confirmed they're doing those?
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 6:01:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Apparently so it seems. Several places have talked about it but nothing concrete it seems from the rumors. But several places have said SSK or whoever it was that was making the Contender clone was being contracted to make the new ones has gone around. I did have some links before but i cant seem to find them at the moment. I will edit this later if i do.

Honestly, I love the Encore and Contender but i am more excited to see the switch barrel bolt action come back. Never got to get my hands on one.

Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:25:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#24]
I thought this thread was about NEF/H&R.  Guess I was mistaken.  Here is my long barrel (32") H&R Buffalo Classic.  Its in .45-70.  Because it is break action, exposed hammer single-shot, and shoots a straight-walled case at least 100 years in production, it qualifies for "primitive weapons" deer hunting season in my state, even as a smokeless powder centerfire.

Yes, scopes are legal, but the scout scope is removable via Talley QD rings and bases to allow access to the receiver sight.  The Lyman globe with target inserts snd the Williams receiver aperture rear sight were OEM for the rifle and make for fun target shooting with lighter loads.

Trigger is amazingly smooth and drops the hammer at just over 3 pounds.

That long barrel extracts about 100 fps more.  A bit unwieldy, though.   Kicks like a mule with heavy loads due to the curved steel buttplate .  I chicken out and slip on a Limbsaver.

I also have a NEF 20 gauge break action "barn gun" that serves double duty as a learner for young family members.

Link Posted: Yesterday 2:09:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MDStroup] [#25]
First person I have actually seen make a new barrel for a CVA. Would be neat if someone else did as well. Especially without needing a donor barrel.

https://youtube.com/shorts/_9AbtD4FT4E?si=6XfqyRwXKtR6US2I
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
NEF Handi Rifles (Page 2 of 2)
Top Top