Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2024 7:53:46 PM EDT
I was going to build an AR15 but I’m thinking about a bolt gun instead. I’ve already got a 223 Criterion barrel, bcg and lower for the AR but could put those on the EE. I was intending on using the AR for coyote control and varmint hunting, the bolt gun would be used for hunting as well.

I’m just torn on what I should do and could use some suggestions.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 8:01:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m200maker] [#1]
It sounds like you’re already pretty invested into the AR. I would complete that build first. Otherwise you will have to wait for your items to sell at a discounted price. You can I’ll likely take a small loss on your investment. You can and probably will get a bolt gun later.

What all do you still need to complete the AR build?
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 8:46:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MountainMan1414] [#2]
I only have the barrel, lower and bcg, so practically everything.

I’ll likely just keep the AR and get a bolt gun in the future.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Those are the most expensive parts besides the optics. Get a lever attachable mount so you can swap the optics between the two guns. It sounds like this is going to be a solid purposed rifle or rifles. It’s always nice to have two that can serve your purpose. One is none two is one. Back up gun kinda thing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Flip a coin.  If you aren't immediately ok with the outcome then go the other way.  Trust your instincts.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#5]
As someone who hunts coyote seriously... an AR15 is nice for rapid follow up shots or multiple targets.\

Nothing wrong with having both.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#6]
No personal experience:

https://uintahprecision.com/
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 7:57:05 PM EDT
[#7]
small caliber bolt guns are a waste of time
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep going with the ar, you have the expensive stuff already.

I shoot coyotes too. AR is the gun that comes out more.

Uppers can be had for 45 bucks

Get a cheap free float handguard. Lowest you can go is around 30-40 bucks for China direct (i have one), but if you have 100 for the handguard the options open up.

Gas block and straw will be around 50-60 bucks.

Lpk, buffer and tube, grip and stock and you're set.

Bolts are all over the place and cheap. I've killed coyotes with my savage axis .243 and it works great. Cheap rifle, nikon optic. Semi auto still wins in my book.

Finish your build, don't sell for a loss and regret not having semi auto later.

Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Finish building the AR.

They are great for hunting too.   If .223 isn't legal in your state, get another upper, there are many options, .300 BLK, .25 Sharps, .350 Legend, .450 Bushmaster, .458 Socom, and I'm sure plenty others I am missing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top