Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2024 4:23:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ACDer]
Picked up at an auction last week. Krag is all correct. M1917 is an Eddystone and has original 10-17 barrel. Paid 240 for the Krag and 200 for the M1917, out the door. Bores are nice on both.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 4:29:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow!  More pics!  
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Where was this auction?
Are they having another one? lol

Nice scores!!
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
Where was this auction?
Are they having another one? lol

Nice scores!!
View Quote

You don't want to know what the Saginaw M1 carbine went for.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless the bores are all rotted out or something else major (doesn't look like that is the case) the OP stole both of these guns.

My experience is that many rifles with pretty rough bores can be made to shoot surprisingly decent.

Stocks look a bit dry , I would rub them down with some boiled linseed oil.

Jelly I am.

Any Krag I have got my mits on was supper slick and smooth . They are a real joy.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice buy!

My experience with auctions is shit goes for way more than retail.

Link Posted: 7/8/2024 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Bores are good, both need a good cleaning. Some Krag shots.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 4:44:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ACDer] [#7]
Originally Posted By Sajer:
Nice buy!

My experience with auctions is shit goes for way more than retail.

View Quote

Thats usually what I see. This was an estate, a lot of sporting guns and reloading stuff, a few milsurps.
I was there fore the reloading gear, but couldnt pass these up. I also got a dillon 550 with lots of extras for 450.00

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll toss in a shot of my 1896 Krag SRC.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#9]
What a score.  I thought I stole my eddystone at 350.00.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Great guns for insanely
good prices
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By nhsport:
Unless the bores are all rotted out or something else major (doesn't look like that is the case) the OP stole both of these guns.

My experience is that many rifles with pretty rough bores can be made to shoot surprisingly decent.

Stocks look a bit dry , I would rub them down with some boiled linseed oil.

Jelly I am.

Any Krag I have got my mits on was supper slick and smooth . They are a real joy.
View Quote

The stocks alone are worth the prices.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 8:31:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I really like the Krag. it had the shortest service life of any rifle in US history (1892-1903 for front line service, until about WWI in reserve and national guard use) and that means not a ton were made. When they were surplused they were the sweetheart of bubba, with the vast majority I come across being chopped on in some cases tastefully but more often a total hack job. An original condition one is surprisingly hard to find. An all correct military one is a grand minimum. Guns with pre 1898 production serial numbers bring a premium as well as the true correct carbines.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Your not going to break the p17, the dogleg bolt and cock on closing is a surprisingly fast action. And it’s a six shooter.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By captain127:
I really like the Krag. it had the shortest service life of any rifle in US history (1892-1903 for front line service, until about WWI in reserve and national guard use) and that means not a ton were made. When they were surplused they were the sweetheart of bubba, with the vast majority I come across being chopped on in some cases tastefully but more often a total hack job. An original condition one is surprisingly hard to find. An all correct military one is a grand minimum. Guns with pre 1898 production serial numbers bring a premium as well as the true correct carbines.
View Quote

Wasn't the M14 shorter?
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Wasn't the M14 shorter?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Wasn't the M14 shorter?

They'd definitely be close. And it would likely come down to definitions.

The M14 stuck around a lot longer if you remove the "front line use" definition, helped along by the ammo it used, no doubt. The Krag didn't even have ammo available for it in the supply system once the 30.06 took over everything.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Neat.
I want an eddy some day. Got my US Krag free from a guy who didn't know what to do with it. Beautiful  1902 with perfect proof mark and great almost unused bore.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:54:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

The M14 stuck around a lot longer if you remove the "front line use" definition, helped along by the ammo it used, no doubt. The Krag didn't even have ammo available for it in the supply system once the 30.06 took over everything.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

Wasn't the M14 shorter?

The Mosin might actually be the shortest in US service.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 12:18:27 AM EDT
[#19]

The Mosin might actually be the shortest in US service.
View Quote

The mos in was only used as a trainer and to equip our Russian expedition in the 17-19 time frame.

As far as standard issue guns, I still think the Krag is shortest. The M14 adopted in 1957, and was standard until the early 70’s in nato standardization use before the M16A1 took over totally.
After 1917 Krag was totally out of the picture while the M14 at least was still in limited use in the navy ( navy standard issue rifle much longer than the rest of the services) then the sniper and DMR variants until the 2010 or so time frame
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 1:00:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By centurian318:
Your not going to break the p17, the dogleg bolt and cock on closing is a surprisingly fast action. And it’s a six shooter.
View Quote

The only weak spot on the M-1917 is the ejector as the flat spring which is part of it often breaks

Pull your old one out & save it. Replace it with the updated coil spring version & you've cured the Achilles heel of the M-1917.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 1:03:28 AM EDT
[#21]
If you ever watch good old reruns of Hogans Heros - note Sgt. Schultz's rifle... It is a Krag (look for the side magazine box)

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 8:25:02 AM EDT
[#22]

The mos in was only used as a trainer and to equip our Russian expedition in the 17-19 time frame.

As far as standard issue guns, I still think the Krag is shortest. The M14 adopted in 1957, and was standard until the early 70’s in nato standardization use before the M16A1 took over totally.
After 1917 Krag was totally out of the picture while the M14 at least was still in limited use in the navy ( navy standard issue rifle much longer than the rest of the services) then the sniper and DMR variants until the 2010 or so time frame
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  The Mosin might actually be the shortest in US service.

So - the Mosin saw more combat than the M14?  The M14 was still in Navy service in the surface fleet in the early 2000's - subs were using M16s, as was Coastal Warfare.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Want to double your money on the Krag?

Awesome score.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 1:03:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TOTHEMAX] [#24]
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:

The only weak spot on the M-1917 is the ejector as the flat spring which is part of it often breaks

Pull your old one out & save it. Replace it with the updated coil spring version & you've cured the Achilles heel of the M-1917.

Bigger_Hammer
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:
Originally Posted By centurian318:
Your not going to break the p17, the dogleg bolt and cock on closing is a surprisingly fast action. And it's a six shooter.

Bigger_Hammer

Huh, learned something new today

Naturally, my Krag dribbles out brass like an old man takes a leak, doesn't matter how smartly the bolt is worked.  Have stared at the ejector for a long time and just accepted that's how it's gonna be.  Its favorite party trick is to reverse the brass after the bolt is fully to the retracted, head to the front and mouth to the rear, sitting there patiently staring at me to be removed.  Works out well enough to keep the expensive brass off the concrete

The 1917 in my safe?  It sends brass skittering across the firing line like someone stole its lunch money.

Both are fun rifles and invariably start conversations on a line full of AR's and the odd AK pattern rifle.  

Pic while I was getting data on various loads, settled on one with an ES of ~6fps w/ 180 BTSP.

Link Posted: 7/16/2024 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Lord, where do you guys find these auctions?

VERY nice score!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top