Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2024 10:42:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DanG]
I thought I'd add my experience with one of the new Marlin ( Ruger) 1894 lever actions in 357/38. I didn't need one as much as I wanted one, so I decided to visit the funstore in May . I didn't have a chance to get to the range right away but I did not like how hard it was to open the action .Some quick internetting showed me how to change the lever detent spring. I bought a new lighter spring ( offbrand no name spring) for about $15 delivered. More internetting showed me it was probably an ace hardware spring that I overpaid for... Anyway, I installed it and while doing so, I found how rough the detent hole was. Some really fine grit sandpaper wrapped around a dowel really helped the detent to move easily. This helped the action smoothness greatly.
Finally got to the range and it was fun to shoot. I had mounted a primary arms rimfire scope since I had it laying on the workbench with nowhere else to live. I have to say that accuracy/grouping was less than exciting. Resting the carbine on a bag, shots fell into loose 2" groups @ 25 yards. Old plastic bagged mixed ammo from an old friend may have hurt grouping for sure.
 The leather wrap I had added to the lever helped, but I'd suggest you buy a thicker higher quality one instead of the cheapest lever wrap I could find on ebay. It didn't add much comfort after 150 rounds.
The trigger measured just over 10 lbs pull on my gauge, so that was next.
Well, I ordered a set of Wolf springs directly from them and they arrived on my porch the next day, awesome service from a great company.
I swapped both the hammer spring  and the lever spring again since I was in there .
While I haven't had a chance to fire it again, the action is even smoother to open and the trigger pull dropped from 10.2 lbs to 4.1 lbs.
   So, it's a well made little lever gun that can be greatly improved with a simple (2) spring kit, one screwdriver and a punch.
 I'll feed it some better quality factory ammo next time too.
Cant wait to get back to the range with this neat little carbine.
FWIW...
DanG
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 10:48:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 4:19:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KR20] [#2]
I have changed all my Marlin triggers out using WWG Happy Trigger.  I disliked the floppy trigger that was OEM and improved the break significantly.  I also found that I liked RPP Medium Loop over the Large loop.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes on the WW happy trigger, and since you have a half cock on the hammer, the Turnbull safety delete gets rid of the unnecessary cross bolt safety.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I am very happy with my Ruger 1894.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top