Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2024 7:14:16 PM EDT
Recently was talking to a friend at work, who had picked up a couple of rifles in a steal of a deal from a family who just wanted to get rid of them once the former owner passed.

Among them, was this Glenfield Marlin 60 dated 1976. I didn’t really want it, but he made me a good deal so I had to accept it.

Had a little surface rust in spots, mainly on the underside of the magazine tube which are very small now, but cleaned up nicely overall. Took it out father day weekend and test fired it, shot fine but trigger was slightly heavier than I’m used to (I’ve never owned a Marlin 60, always end up with 10-22s). I and my oldest son enjoyed it, but the sights left something to be desired.

Ended up snagging from Tech Sights off eBay, installed them today and am quite pleased with how this turned out.

Might try to keep this for awhile instead of trading it off for something shiny, but never know with me.

Coolest part of the deal was I some ammo my buddy gave he he got with the gun, which had the TN tax stamp on it for a penny they used to charge.

1976 Marlin 60 pictures
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 8:44:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#1]
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like it's in nice shape. Marlin 60 is one of my favorite guns of all time. I have a bunch of them.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:39:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Back in 1990 when Meijer (a big super store chain) used to sell firearms I picked up a Marlin Model 990.  The 990 is essentially a deluxe model of the 60 with nicer hardware.  Mine had a laminated Monte Carlo stock, hooded front sight, and the trigger and front sight bead were gold plated.

The comb of a Monte Carlo stock made using iron sights difficult, so I ended up installing a 4x Simmons with a 1" tube
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Hell, I have always wanted a model 60 and a 795. Missed out on both. I would buy that in a heartbeat if you sold it. Hopefully you keep it and it brings you years of joy. The tech sights just makes it better.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#5]
A Marlin Glenfield 60 was my first gun, back around the mid 1970's  Bought it with money I earned on my paper route and mowing lawns.  It easily has 20-30K rounds through it.  It went back to Marlin in the early 90's for some parts replacement in the action.  I may have to pull it out of the back of the safe and do a little shooting this weekend.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MDStroup:
Hell, I have always wanted a model 60 and a 795. Missed out on both. I would buy that in a heartbeat if you sold it. Hopefully you keep it and it brings you years of joy. The tech sights just makes it better.
View Quote

Gunbroker is crawling with Model 60s. They can be picked up pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 2:05:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I recently picked up a model 60, asked what they wanted ($140) and i said sold. Still had the sticker on it from when it was bought new. Date code by serial number says born 1983. Looked like it might have had 50 rounds through it. Stock does have some gun safe wear on it but no rust, looking forward to cleaning it soon
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 4:06:38 PM EDT
[#8]
My first gun as well.  It's not fancy but it works very well.
Link Posted: 8/9/2024 11:14:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteveG75] [#9]
Love my old Glenfield Model 60. Got the one with the long 18 round tube.

Couple of good products besides the tech sights.

Mcarbo Spring Kits and Recoil Springs
https://www.mcarbo.com/store/c/31-Marlin-Parts.aspx

DIP Trigger. Removes the slack in the stock trigger
https://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1190107&CAT=3603

I also replaced the buffer and the feed ramp with a newer one piece model. Gun is a shooter. Just wish it was threaded for suppressor use.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004993058/?pid=541606

https://www.zephyrsmarket.com/products/marlin-recoil-buffer-old-style-pre-1981

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top