Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2024 8:22:14 AM EDT
What are the “must haves” regarding spare parts and accessories?

This is not my first SMG.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 8:31:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 4:10:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Makarov] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By prebans:

@makarov - this ^^^^^

Parts kits are still relatively cheap.  Pick up a few so your gun will be running for a long time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By -JC-:
Invest in a new spring kit, more mags, extra barrels and bolts before they dry up. Also a loop stock if you don't have one.

@makarov - this ^^^^^

Parts kits are still relatively cheap.  Pick up a few so your gun will be running for a long time.

Best source(s) for all this????

I’ve got plenty of mags.

ETA- Thanks for the responses!
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 1:47:26 AM EDT
[#5]
A good mag loader

Bolts, recoil springs, barrels

Honestly they are pretty rock solid and I don’t think I have broken anything on mine. They make a magazine repair mandrel I would like to get as I guess the big issue with the mags is bent feed lips.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 1:56:14 AM EDT
[#6]

@makarov - this ^^^^^

View Quote

I was going to suggest this too. I'm by no means an expert on stens, but I do know it's a bummer when original parts and/or matching parts break.
If I was going to shoot it a ton, I'd replace what I can and keep the original parts separate.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 8:17:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Aus-STEn. Mag loader. It is the box type.
Also STEn mags can be loaded without a loader. Learn the trick.
Back in the dark days of mag bans, many of us got out M11 9mm. Converted to STEn mags. Loading mags taught lessons.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Makarov:

I’ve got plenty of mags.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Makarov:
Originally Posted By -JC-:
Invest in a new spring kit, more mags, extra barrels and bolts before they dry up. Also a loop stock if you don't have one.

@makarov - this ^^^^^

I’ve got plenty of mags.

Tag for parts kit sources.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Congratulations!  I don’t own a Sten but have been fortunate enough to shoot one.  Among the most fun FA I’ve had the pleasure of operating.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 6:48:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:
Congratulations!  I don’t own a Sten but have been fortunate enough to shoot one.  Among the most fun FA I’ve had the pleasure of operating.
View Quote

I didn’t think I wanted one UNTIL I shot one
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Hi Mak,

Loop stocks are absolutely the most comfy. You can do a little grinding and get a maglula uplula  to work with sten mags. I actually prefer it to the spoon type of loader.

Mags are a must. There is a good bit of variance so, you may need to go through a stack to find ones that work well with your sten. It's also a good idea to to a cleaning deep dive on the mags. Many still have some cosmoline on the spring and follower.

Leather Yugo SMG magazine pouches can clean up well for toting mags.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 8:40:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#14]
My father has a MK II Sten and I always enjoy shooting it when visiting him. I don’t think he’s had anything fail on it, and he bought it in 1986 when he heard about the MG ban.

Agree the loop stock is the way to go. His has the reinforcement/brace inside the loop, but I’ve seen many pics of loops without it. Seems that’d make it less likely to bend.

Attachment Attached File

His mag well was unmarked so I found him a cool looking one with original British markings and he swapped it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top