Link Posted: 3/17/2022 7:35:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stainlineho:
Originally Posted By TheBrokePilot:
Has anybody used the Allegheny Arms gas block on a rifle gas length barrel with a KAC URX 4 13"? I'm wondering how far the gas block would protrude.

This should help you do the math: https://www.dwilsonmfg.com/Allegheny-Arms-Tapered-Gas-blocks_p_133.html

https://i.imgur.com/sZUcYvA.png

Trying to remember, AEM2-4 are a half inch shorter on the reflex chamber, right?
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 10:47:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:

Trying to remember, AEM2-4 are a half inch shorter on the reflex chamber, right?
View Quote

0.45" shorter
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By unclemoak:

0.45" shorter
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By unclemoak:

0.45" shorter

Thank you. So then, according to the dwilson numbers.

AEM5
Rifle length - 16.56"
Mid length  - 13.56"
Carbine Length - 11.56"

AEM1-4
Rifle length - 16.11"
Mid length  - 13.11"
Carbine Length - 11.11"

Is their gas block longer than the Spikes? The spikes numbers are over a half inch off from those. They claimed 10.5" for carbine gas.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Thank you. So then, according to the dwilson numbers.

AEM5
Rifle length - 16.56"
Mid length  - 13.56"
Carbine Length - 11.56"

AEM1-4
Rifle length - 16.11"
Mid length  - 13.11"
Carbine Length - 11.11"

Is their gas block longer than the Spikes? The spikes numbers are over a half inch off from those. They claimed 10.5" for carbine gas.
View Quote

Hard to tell from the picture but the Allegheny gb is slightly longer OAL.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By stainlineho:
https://i.imgur.com/usLSXDB.jpg
View Quote

That came out looking great.  I love the fact that it's a poverty pony that is far from being a poverty pony build lol.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 2:07:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Rothperson87:

Hard to tell from the picture but the Allegheny gb is slightly longer OAL.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/462226/926DE9F7-FF42-4017-A878-BB145275AC5C_jpe-2317079.JPG
View Quote

If you don’t mind what is the total length of the gas block and length of the gas block without the taper.
Trying to see if it will work with a spare Kmr rail I’ve had floating around.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Gremyashchy1911:

If you don’t mind what is the total length of the gas block and length of the gas block without the taper.
Trying to see if it will work with a spare Kmr rail I’ve had floating around.
View Quote

I only have the spikes on hand.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:46:22 PM EDT
[#9]

That will work looks like I’ll be about .100-150 too long on the hand guard. I’ll order one and find out tho. Thank you for the pictures tho!
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Gremyashchy1911:

That will work looks like I’ll be about .100-150 too long on the hand guard. I’ll order one and find out tho. Thank you for the pictures tho!
View Quote

Shave the rail back a bit. I had to shave my ff ras for the can to fit but it’s nice and tight.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Shave the rail back a bit. I had to shave my ff ras for the can to fit but it’s nice and tight.
View Quote

Depending on how far back it sits on the taper it may fit I measured 1.165” from the mid length shoulder to the nub of the rail I’m sure I could fudge forward a hair on the gb if needed. Kinda wish they had just left the front of the KMR squared off. I got it cheap cheap so it very well meet the grinder.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Ah yeah. Got my Form 4 to e-sign.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:13:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Anyone know the barrel length for a flush fit AEM5 with a 10.75 URX4?  I’m thinking 13.5 or a little less.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By cdholmes:
Anyone know the barrel length for a flush fit AEM5 with a 10.75 URX4?  I'm thinking 13.5 or a little less.
View Quote

It varies depending on how the rail is clocked.

Generally the barrel is 2.65" longer then the front edge of the rail.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By lsujim:
Ah yeah. Got my Form 4 to e-sign.
View Quote

Ron is the man. Got mine signed for my cans over the weekend
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Just picked mine up from the dealer! Very excited. Just over 8.5 turns, need to get to the range!
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Got a nice batch of AEM5's back from plating and sent out over the last couple of days.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By k31user:
Got a nice batch of AEM5's back from plating and sent out over the last couple of days.
View Quote

Thank you for all your hard work Ron!
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 1:16:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#19]
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Green0:

They are pretty cool cans, I also appreciate Allen Arms keeping the Ops cans in production- it is unique to be able to buy a historic 1:1 identical historical silencer.  It's also unique in that Ops was one of the most advanced models the military ever issued, so pretty nice suppressors.  It would be cool if that were possible for more models, like Sionics, or HEL, or even Knights Armament which really isn't available or in production most of the time.
View Quote

Agreed.  I'm proud to rock my Allen can.  I'd love a 2nd one.  Sounds like it might be a good time to see about chasing another one down from somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 6:57:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By bigbore:

You need to be careful using those gasblock collars. Make sure you are checking the run out of the barrels.  It's not uncommon for the bargain barrels that everyone loves to be running out .015-.025 from the threads.   There's a reason one size fits all collars don't work, that applies to these gas blocks as well.
View Quote

What do you mean by run out of the barrel?
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#23]

What do you mean by run out of the barrel?
View Quote

Concentricity of bore with regards to barrel OD.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 8:22:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbore] [#24]
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#25]
So now the question is which manufacturers make barrels that are good to go?
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#27]

CLE, WOA, Noveske, DD, BCM.
View Quote

Bison spr barrels don’t make the cut?
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#28]

To properly mount an AE suppressor, the bore, threads and OD all need to be concentric.  90% of the cheap barrels people buy lately are NOT concentric in any two of those requirements.

If you're starting with a cheap standard production barrel and you want to mount an AE suppressor  you need the barrel to be threaded and contoured centered off the bore.   Below is a video my guy sent me this week (sorry for the apple to galaxy compression).  The first step is to cut threads centered off the bore, then find out how much you must take off the OD to be concentric to know what size custom collar is needed.  Imagine if the barrel below was sent to be cut/threaded to size for use with a gas block style collar, and all we did was thread concentric to the bore.  

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/EPsf_6nyyAQ

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/EPsf_6nyyAQ
View Quote

I assume after the entire system is installed correctly a suppressor alignment rod would be a good idea?
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Considering there's about a .003-.004" variation of bore diameters for every caliber made, I don't put any value in alignment rods.
View Quote

I would disagree.  The check point is concetricity of the muzzle of the barrel i to the suppressor, not the right -out if the barrel itself.  Any button-cut barrel is going to weave around, but what is important is the exit trajectory i it the can.

If you think this is not meaningful, what is?
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 8:35:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbore] [#31]
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#32]

CLE, WOA, Noveske, DD, BCM.
View Quote

I have used ballistic advantage barrels for a few builds using AE cans, a Mk12 and a couple mini NSW recces using an aem3 and aem5.  The minis both used the spikes gas block. Both have aligned perfectly with an alignment rod. All have shot great!
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 9:54:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I’m also using a ballistic advantage barrel but it was cut so I suppose that’s not a valid data point
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By UnknownPatriot:

Thank you for all your hard work Ron!
View Quote

Are the AE cans still going out of production or is that all a wash now? I haven’t read anything about it in some time.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 12:34:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#35]
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
I’m also using a ballistic advantage barrel but it was cut so I suppose that’s not a valid data point
View Quote

Mine were cut also. I would guess most barrels using the tapered gas blocks would have to be cut to proper length
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 11:42:55 AM EDT
[#37]

Mine were cut also. I would guess most barrels using the tapered gas blocks would have to be cut to proper length
View All Quotes

I couldn’t comment on that. I had a 18” cut to 16” with an Allegheny arms gas block
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#38]
So my AEM5-30 came in. I want to use it on my scar. If I bought the OCL OTB Flash hider, who can open it up to .30 cal and re-thread it to 5/8x24?  Thanks
I need a 7.62 version of this:
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 7:00:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 7:04:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbore] [#40]
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 8:09:03 AM EDT
[#41]

Considering there's about a .003-.004" variation of bore diameters for every caliber made, I don't put any value in alignment rods.
View Quote

People put too much stock in dropping an undersized rod down an oversized bore(that as you said isn't usually straight), then freak out because it's not dead center of their can mounted to their favorite QD spring loaded mount.   At that point you may as well eyeball it.   I have a disk with a hole in the center I drop down down the receiver that stops on the barrel extension.  Look through that aperture and out the muzzle end.   If you don't see the suppressor, it's good enough.    
View Quote

What I read into that is if the rod is center, I’m good to go.  If the rod isn’t center, then I may still be good to go. So the NPV is 100%, but the PPV is questionable.    

Link Posted: 4/4/2022 8:14:04 AM EDT
[#42]

Ron needs to put out a statement that his suppressor warranties are null and void if anyone uses those mounts with his suppressors.   They are a bad idea all around.   Do it right and have your barrel contoured properly for a collar.
View Quote

I’ve seen a one piece mount he’s made and asked if he would make me one for 7.62 but he doesn’t have the resources to dedicate towards that.  

Unless he can make just a custom collar and brake, I would go that route too. But I don’t see anything wrong with going with 1 piece mounts.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 9:14:20 AM EDT
[#43]

Once you chop the undersized and off center threads off those cheap barrels they are good to go with good threads cut.  If you are going to cut the barrel down, there is really no reason to spend $300+ on a good barrel.
View All Quotes

I couldn’t comment on that. I had a 18” cut to 16” with an Allegheny arms gas block

Once you chop the undersized and off center threads off those cheap barrels they are good to go with good threads cut.  If you are going to cut the barrel down, there is really no reason to spend $300+ on a good barrel.

That’s what I wanted to hear
-Cheap Bastard
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#44]
  They are a bad idea all around.  
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By cheekibreeki:

Why?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cheekibreeki:
  They are a bad idea all around.  

Why?

Because that mount nullifies the two points of contact and concentricity that the suppressor is known for. You're relying on the barrel threads and muzzle alone to be cut right.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#46]
This doesn't make sense to me. It indexes everything off of the muzzle shoulder so of course that has to be cut properly. But the original separate collar uses a set screw and is a second part in the mix in any case. Not clear to me why a slip fit collar plus set screw lends more concentricity than a square muzzle face alone would.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 10:28:38 AM EDT
[#47]
If it's concentric it's concentric.

Mine is.  Lucky I guess.

Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#49]

Go for it, use whatever once piece mount you want. Ron is the one who you will go crying to when you get a baffle strike, and as long as he keeps fixing stuff for free you have nothing to worry about.   I'd rather see him making new suppressors than repairing old cans people used improper mounts on.
View Quote

Ron at one point made the one piece mount, just not for 7.62. I have a SCAR20 I’m dedicating this can to. I just need a mounting system for it.

And I’m not the brightest guy out there, but I don’t see how a one piece mount is less desirable or worse off than a two piece mount.

I’m not an OCM fan, actually I made sure to buy this AEM5-30 from you at Adco. And have an AEM5 coming in. My problem is, I don’t have a 5/8x24 mount for it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 108
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top