Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2024 5:54:50 PM EDT
Outdoor Research has 65% off their Allies collection for 2 days.  This is their non-berry compliant (made in  Bangladesh) military type outerwear.

Link
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Outdoor Research makes good stuff.  Those are some good prices on there.  I'd be jumping all over that rain gear especially.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 9:09:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#2]
If one looks carefully (make a selection and then scroll down), one also sees that winter (Multicam Alpine) camo is also on sale at same discount.

The Allies Microgravity Jacket looks to be a decent "rainshirt" style of garment.

OR has a very good rep.  If you can find your size/color, then this price is about as good as it gets for new garments.

Also check out the "Tactical" section; scroll down through the sub-sections.

As of 0830 18 JULY, sale still ongoing; seeHERE
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By raf:
If one looks carefully (make a selection and then scroll down), one also sees that winter (Multicam Alpine) camo is also on sale at same discount.

The Allies Microgravity Jacket looks to be a decent "rainshirt" style of garment.

OR has a very good rep.  If you can find your size/color, then this price is about as good as it gets for new garments.

Also check out the "Tactical" section; scroll down through the sub-sections.

View Quote

Saw that. Alpine Mulitcam sale is one helluva deal! 65% off !!!

Thanks OP!
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 9:59:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#4]
Wow. Those are fantastic prices for OR gear!

Thanks for the heads up, OP!
And thanks raf, for the pointer to the Alpine MC on sale!
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a big fan of Outdoor Research, especially their gloves.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#6]
OR makes good shit. I need to bug them to make their Swift Cap in multicam again. I lost mine a few weeks ago navigating some tight mangrove tunnels on a paddle board. I turn around and it literally disappeared

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 2:02:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:55:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlanD] [#8]
In order to continue my reputation of a gear junky always looking for a deal, I now give you Arcteryx Leaf 2nds at Tactical Distributors:

Link  Found under savings tab.

Discount varies (and still expensive), and item and size options are limited.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:03:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Jeez I keep forgetting how expensive Arcteryx stuff is.

I have an OG Arcteryx Leaf Bravo softshell jacket that's literally never been worn, the OG made in Canada ones, that I keep thinking I should put up for sale at some point.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#10]
$1300 for a parka???????

Holy crap...
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#11]
FWIW, Ancient LL Bean Baxter State Parka bought for $20 at local thrift store is an excellent civvy item, although goose down is NOT a wise tactical insulation.  When donning this coat, one "immediately" becomes warm.  

Nowadays, similar items from LL Bean are more than about $350 or so; likely "dumbed down" compared to "ancient" items, like mine.

I have a 1970 "Eddie Bauer" "KaraKoram" down coat which only needs an external windproof/waterproof outer shell to be proof against all cold/dry conditions, and even some rain.  They don't make garments like that nowadays.

I generally prefer "decent" artificial insulation to "goose down" for various reasons.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 4:48:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: marnsdorff] [#12]
The only down item I have is an insanely expensive Western Mountaineering sleeping bag that I blew part of my 'covid bucks' on.  (the rest went to extra pairs of boots)

I got it for a winter bag in my 2 bag sleep system.  Generally I shy away from down bags, as if they get wet, they don't work.  However, the bulk of a synthetic winter sleeping bag is nuts, and I'm going to combine it with a synthetic outer summer weight bag (which helps to draw the moisture out of the down bag, should the down bag get wet)

This was a big step in getting my winter pack size down.  Usually our winters are generally mild(ish), but every couple years, we get a night or three that that will drop down into the negative teens or lower....and we get REALLY REALLY strong winds up here, especially in the winter.  So I don't want to skimp on winter sleep gear, and wanted to get my winter pack weight and size down to something not insanely huge.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#13]
FWIW, Ancient LL Bean Baxter State Parka bought for $20 at local thrift store is an excellent civvy item, although goose down is NOT a wise tactical insulation.  When donning this coat, one "immediately" becomes warm.  

Nowadays, similar items from LL Bean are more than about $350 or so; likely "dumbed down" compared to "ancient" items, like mine.

I have a 1970 "Eddie Bauer" "KaraKoram" down coat which only needs an external windproof/waterproof outer shell to be proof against all cold/dry conditions, and even some rain.  They don't make garments like that nowadays.

I generally prefer "decent" artificial insulation to "goose down" for various reasons.  
View Quote

I've got a brand new oldschool 1950's Swedish surplus winter parka shell that's made out of something akin to ventile.  (picture below)  I'm trying to figure out exactly what I want to do with it, it's oversized a good bit like a good shell should be.  I'm thinking about dyeing it a muddy ODish color and turning it into my main 'apocalypse' winter parka.  

I've got a couple nice Coyote fur ruffs I'm going to put on it, trying to figure out if I want to make them detachable or what.

I've got a number of really nice field jacket style liners - a new german surplus one, a couple Wiggy's field jacket liners  (which, btw, are outstanding items.  Some people don't like his sleeping bags, but his field jacket liners are awesome)

I've also got a ton of different wool sweaters and fleece jackets I've picked up over they years.  I've got a new austrian surplus boiled wool mountaineering sweater and a really really thick heavy duty merino wool sweater made over in Ireland that I'm thinking about using to layer under the parka.

What made me think about this was I was considering picking up a nice down parka, but then realized I have stuff sitting here at the house.  It ain't down, but I don't live in northern Canada either.

Link Posted: 7/27/2024 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Geeez, that parka is normally $2k when it's not on sale.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:05:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:
Geeez, that parka is normally $2k when it's not on sale.
View Quote
Yeah.  I'm sure it's a marvel, but too rich for my blood.  Same as "normally-priced" LBT items.

Another company that might be worth watching is Wild Things Gear, if they ever have any sales.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 9:47:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#16]

I've got a brand new oldschool 1950's Swedish surplus winter parka shell that's made out of something akin to ventile.  (picture below)  I'm trying to figure out exactly what I want to do with it, it's oversized a good bit like a good shell should be.  I'm thinking about dyeing it a muddy ODish color and turning it into my main 'apocalypse' winter parka.  

I've got a couple nice Coyote fur ruffs I'm going to put on it, trying to figure out if I want to make them detachable or what.

I've got a number of really nice field jacket style liners - a new german surplus one, a couple Wiggy's field jacket liners  (which, btw, are outstanding items.  Some people don't like his sleeping bags, but his field jacket liners are awesome)

I've also got a ton of different wool sweaters and fleece jackets I've picked up over they years.  I've got a new austrian surplus boiled wool mountaineering sweater and a really really thick heavy duty merino wool sweater made over in Ireland that I'm thinking about using to layer under the parka.

What made me think about this was I was considering picking up a nice down parka, but then realized I have stuff sitting here at the house.  It ain't down, but I don't live in northern Canada either.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/08/77/4e/08774e94b5a4aa64cb3ae843e2c5aa01.png
View Quote
Coyote fur ruff on hood can be useful in extreme dry cold, but not nearly so much in wet cold.  Suggest taking a look at M-51/M-65 button on hoods for M-51/M-65 jackets and going from there.  The fabric "tunnel" for the face is the key; the fur simply "closes-down" the tunnel, and relies on combination of drawstrings and bendable metal wire set into the tunnel to conform to face/eyes.

All-cloth GI "rain" hoods were sized to the jacket chest size.  Med hood fits Med coat, and so on.  Unsure if the "Cold Weather Hood" came in different sizes.

In fact, you could simply remove existing fur ruff on M-65 hood, attach a new ruff, and make button holes in existing parka/hood to suit the GI cold weather hood.

M-51 hood has wool inside and fastens/closes to itself with large buttons.  M-65 has syn wool-like material inside and fastens/closes to itself with velcro.  Real fur on M-51, probably very ratty at this point.  M-65 has faux fur which is horrible substitute for the real thing.

These hoods are pretty complex, and I advise saving time and hassle by picking up a decent GI M-65 hood, repairing the ruff with a detachable one, and adapting it to your current coat.  IMHO, no sense in re-inventing the wheel if a decent alternative is available.

GI M-65 Cold Weather Hood DO shop around, these things are becoming increasingly expensive.

Link Posted: 7/30/2024 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Coyote fur ruff on hood can be useful in extreme dry cold, but not nearly so much in wet cold.  Suggest taking a look at M-51/M-65 button on hoods for M-51/M-65 jackets and going from there.  The fabric "tunnel" for the face is the key; the fur simply "closes-down" the tunnel, and relies on combination of drawstrings and bendable metal wire set into the tunnel to conform to face/eyes.

All-cloth GI "rain" hoods were sized to the jacket chest size.  Med hood fits Med coat, and so on.  Unsure if the "Cold Weather Hood" came in different sizes.

In fact, you could simply remove existing fur ruff on M-65 hood, attach a new ruff, and make button holes in existing parka/hood to suit the GI cold weather hood.

M-51 hood has wool inside and fastens/closes to itself with large buttons.  M-65 has syn wool-like material inside and fastens/closes to itself with velcro.  Real fur on M-51, probably very ratty at this point.  M-65 has faux fur which is horrible substitute for the real thing.

These hoods are pretty complex, and I advise saving time and hassle by picking up a decent GI M-65 hood, repairing the ruff with a detachable one, and adapting it to your current coat.  IMHO, no sense in re-inventing the wheel if a decent alternative is available.

GI M-65 Cold Weather Hood DO shop around, these things are becoming increasingly expensive.

View Quote

Well, that parka already has a decent hood.  I was thinking about adding the fur ruff to that hood.

Alternatively, I have one of those old surplus shoreman's hoods, but the XL size ones are un-obtainable and the others are too small for my massive head.  It's a stand-alone hood, ie, it doesn't attach to the jacket, it has a large shoulder area that sits UNDER the jacket.  Alternatively, I can fab up one of those, copying the one I have but making it bigger.  

If it didn't have a hood already, I agree with you on the above though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Love my Outdoor Research Gloves. I have four pairs of different OR gloves (3 winter and 1 assault).  Best damn gloves on the market in my opinion.

Need to pick myself up some OR Gaiters.

Link Posted: 7/30/2024 2:33:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#19]

Well, that parka already has a decent hood.  I was thinking about adding the fur ruff to that hood.

Alternatively, I have one of those old surplus shoreman's hoods, but the XL size ones are un-obtainable and the others are too small for my massive head.  It's a stand-alone hood, ie, it doesn't attach to the jacket, it has a large shoulder area that sits UNDER the jacket.  Alternatively, I can fab up one of those, copying the one I have but making it bigger.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I did not explain fully; my mistake.  GI M-51/M-65 Parka came with a cloth-only hood. Much like your parka.  Nearly useless unless "Cold Weather Hood" was installed.  Strongly suggest you re-examine and re-consider.

Your parka has what I call a "Rain Hood", likely best used as a rain-shedding item underneath a helmet.  Very different from the GI "Cold Weather Hood".

Once you see how the GI Cold Weather Hood is made, you will understand how complex this item is.  And then begin to understand its usefulness.

I have such M-51 hoods, with decent coyote fur ruffs for my M-65 field coats.  I got lucky in finding decent fur ruffs way back when; impossible to find with "decent" coyote fur ruffs now.  Also have M-65 CW hoods; like the velcro, hate the faux ruff.

GI M-65 Field Coats (Jackets) came with integral flimsy hood, suitable for rain-shedding under helmet.  OTOH, M-65 field coats also had provisions for M-51/M-65 Cold Weather Hood, as well as surplus WWII cloth-only "rain hoods".

IOW, Strongly suggest ordering the M-65 Cold Weather Hood from Coleman's, and either adapting it outright, or using it as a pattern.

@marnsdorff
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top