Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2024 2:09:38 PM EDT
I have a Trijicon MK3-60 thermal so, I am good there.  What I don't have is a more general-purpose NV solution to complement my thermal scope.  I tried my friend's PVS-7B's, modern spec new build but, I wear glasses and those simply were not a reasonable solution for me.  Plus I am not sold on a binocular-style solution for my usage and would like a bit less bulk and something I could use on a lightweight rimfire rifle (i.e. Ruger 10/22 or similar) to shoot rodents and predators on my farm at ~50 yards or less.  

I have no heartburn over using GREEN night vision.  I tend to think I will get better value and performance from good GREEN tubes over competing to get the more trendy (for most people) white tubes.  My usage will never be long enough that eye fatigue and similar issues due to image color would be a factor.  What I need is good resolution to clearly identify a target when mounted to my rifle and, the ability for general surveillance and identification for situational awareness.  I have no intentions of doing things like driving at night with them or other non-standard things for Social Media likes or bragging rights!

I live in Texas, own property in Oklahoma, and travel CONUS a lot overlanding and saltwater surf fishing any chance I get. When traveling, I want to make sure I see homeless, drugged, or mentally disturbed people and wildlife before I make camp.  My friend is into astronomy, so I could see using it some when I am out with him looking at the night sky.

$2500 isn't an absolute hard limit but, a "target price" so, if $3500 for example is significantly better, that is an option, especially if I need the additional performance.  Mounts, helmets, and other support gear is a separate expense from the 'base' PVS-14 unit.

Is a green "Onyx" P-43 ECHO spec tube unit a good place to start?  I realize FOM is the threshold most people use looking for Night Vision but, I think EBI and Halo are important in my application as well but, I don't need crazy specs.  I am assuming SNR and Fixed Pattern Noise are not a big concern in today's market.

So, from the myriad of options in the market place, where do I find the better values today from reputable sources?  TNVC and JRH are well known entities but, there are likely others out there that may be a good source for me to consider too.  Regarding the used market, I am a bit leery there as I don't know enough to spot a good deal, a bad unit, and a myriad of other issues that come with experience so I am leaning heavily towards a real storefront business that will support me long term.

TIA,
Sid

Link Posted: 8/28/2024 2:32:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chosos] [#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I can second that JRH is a great outfit. Love my WP 14.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bluedog82:
I can second that JRH is a great outfit. Love my WP 14.
View Quote

I'lll 3rd that myself. You'll probably do much better than you think for that price too man!
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 7:28:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Bummer missing out on those Green PVS-14's.

How do the SLH versions compare to the Un-Filmed versions?
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 7:01:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By sidpost:
I have a Trijicon MK3-60 thermal so, I am good there.  What I don't have is a more general-purpose NV solution to complement my thermal scope.  I tried my friend's PVS-7B's, modern spec new build but, I wear glasses and those simply were not a reasonable solution for me.  Plus I am not sold on a binocular-style solution for my usage and would like a bit less bulk and something I could use on a lightweight rimfire rifle (i.e. Ruger 10/22 or similar) to shoot rodents and predators on my farm at ~50 yards or less.  

I have no heartburn over using GREEN night vision.  I tend to think I will get better value and performance from good GREEN tubes over competing to get the more trendy (for most people) white tubes.  My usage will never be long enough that eye fatigue and similar issues due to image color would be a factor.  What I need is good resolution to clearly identify a target when mounted to my rifle and, the ability for general surveillance and identification for situational awareness.  I have no intentions of doing things like driving at night with them or other non-standard things for Social Media likes or bragging rights!

I live in Texas, own property in Oklahoma, and travel CONUS a lot overlanding and saltwater surf fishing any chance I get. When traveling, I want to make sure I see homeless, drugged, or mentally disturbed people and wildlife before I make camp.  My friend is into astronomy, so I could see using it some when I am out with him looking at the night sky.

$2500 isn't an absolute hard limit but, a "target price" so, if $3500 for example is significantly better, that is an option, especially if I need the additional performance.  Mounts, helmets, and other support gear is a separate expense from the 'base' PVS-14 unit.

Is a green "Onyx" P-43 ECHO spec tube unit a good place to start?  I realize FOM is the threshold most people use looking for Night Vision but, I think EBI and Halo are important in my application as well but, I don't need crazy specs.  I am assuming SNR and Fixed Pattern Noise are not a big concern in today's market.

So, from the myriad of options in the market place, where do I find the better values today from reputable sources?  TNVC and JRH are well known entities but, there are likely others out there that may be a good source for me to consider too.  Regarding the used market, I am a bit leery there as I don't know enough to spot a good deal, a bad unit, and a myriad of other issues that come with experience so I am leaning heavily towards a real storefront business that will support me long term.

TIA,
Sid

View Quote

I’ve heard good things about Custom Nightvision.

I got mine used, but it was a friend of a friend type deal.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 7:34:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:

The SLH mid grade comes from Elbit Systems and are thin filmed tubes. Lots of good choices in stock for that grade right now, but we also have 20UM grade unfilmed WP from L3 Harris in stock also.
View Quote

I prefer WP over Green any day of week. In fact, purchased a GP PVS14, used it 3 weeks and returned it for full value because it wasn't as vivid as WP.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 7:49:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#9]
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:

However we do have PVS14 WP3 SLH mid grade units starting at $2799. These feature the Elbit Systems of America SLH mid grade White phosphor tubes.

If you're looking for Unfilmed WP we have those starting at $3399.

View Quote

OP, this is the best deal you're going to find for a new Gen 3 PVS14 from a reputable dealer. At that price, there's no reason look for Gen 2 Photonis.

$3400 is also the best deal you'll find on Unfilmed if you want the best performance.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 12:13:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By chosos:
that JRH sale is pretty solid on those PVS-14's and as a site sponsor, JRH has been great to buy from.
View Quote

^^^^^This, This, and did I mention THIS^^^^^
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 12:21:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rDigital] [#12]
Nothing but good things to say about JRH and Robert.

He put me in WP Unfilmed PVS-14  gang  2 weeks ago.
0.3 EBI
2390 FOM
33.2 SNR

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top