Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2024 10:41:42 PM EDT
After a geologic age of pondering and agonizing I bought a PVS14 from JRH, and it's a wondrous thing. Now I face the challenge of coming up with a way to wear the damn thing, and I've been completely defeated. I got a Highcomm helmet with a Wilcox, and a Norotos dingus, and they look like they should mate together, but they simply do not.
Did I get something out of spec? Counterfeit? Do they need fitting? Or was this just never going to work?
Explaining as though I have an extra chromosome is completely appropriate.

Link Posted: 6/11/2024 11:33:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreenMushroom] [#1]
That's a Rhino2 right? Should snap right in as far as i know. All my stuff is Rhino2s and wilcox shrouds.

Eta stupid question I know but your pushing the button right? It just kinda hooks in one side and other side should clear and releasing button locks it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 11:37:27 PM EDT
[#2]
tab on the top of the rhino slips into the mount first, then snap the bottom into place. if the bottom is sticking or just not seating, you can try pushing the release button to get it in, and sometimes they take a bit of pressure to get the bottom to fully seat
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 12:56:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lapp_Dance:
tab on the top of the rhino slips into the mount first, then snap the bottom into place. if the bottom is sticking or just not seating, you can try pushing the release button to get it in, and sometimes they take a bit of pressure to get the bottom to fully seat
View Quote

^^^^THIS^^^^ On some arm to shrouds after inserting the top tab, you need to apply a quite a bit of pressure to engage the lower tab. OP looking at the pic you provided "MAKE SURE" the spring loaded serrated arm is fully extended outboard of the body. Also be sure to make a loop of 550 chord tie it to the 2 holes near the on/off switch on you 14 , then tie a piece of 550 chord to your Wilcox shroud and connect it all together with a Nite Ize mini carabiner.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 1:53:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Lapp_Dance:
View Quote

That's the failure point. The top tab is just too big, the Norotos won't rotate down far enough to engage, not even close, even when I'm pushing hard (I'm 6'3" 250lb, I lift regularly, I can push...)

Link Posted: 6/12/2024 2:15:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#5]
as it sits in the photo its upside down . the button that sticks out for the latch goes at bottom left facing the front of the mount. if that doesnt work than it may need some fitting. its mil surp, Marines can break anything.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
as it sits in the photo its upside down . the button that sticks out for the latch goes at bottom left facing the front of the mount. if that doesnt work than it may need some fitting. its mil surp, Marines can break anything.
View Quote

Yup, that's what it looks like. I'd love to see a full pic of that mount - is there even a Rhino/Dovetail adapter on those rails?
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 12:43:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies. I do believe I'm attempting to install the Norotos in the correct orientation, it just won't go. This is as far as I can make it go, even pushing pretty damn hard

Link Posted: 6/18/2024 7:30:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Take a flat, needle file, and do a few passes on the bottom part of the shroud where the locking tab sits. Alternatively, see if there is a rubber pad on the back of the mount that you can remove to make more space - then just use electrical tape to make your own "pad" to take up any slop.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:07:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:

Are you pushing in the little tab (locking bar) in the bottom while pushing the mount into the shroud? Anchor the top first like you are doing in the pic, but push in that tab and press down into the mount.
If you want to shoot me an email, I'd be happy to shoot a quick Iphone video and send it to you if this isn't making sense.
View Quote

Again, thanks for the help.

The Norotos will not seat into the Wilcox far enough for the spring-loaded locking bar to come into play. It appears to me that the "tenon" (only thing I can think to call it) on the Norotos is too large, or positioned too far forward, for the "mortise" in the Wilcox. I stick the Norotos top tenon into the Wilcox mortise, and the Norotos will not swing down far enough. It just stops.
I apologize, this is difficult to describe in text. I*n college I took a class in technical writing and did very poorly
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top