Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2024 11:57:47 PM EDT
I've been looking to get a monocular recently and am trying to decide between Carson/RPO 3.0 optic and Photonis Boomslang optic.

Looking at reviews the Boomslang seems to be very good, but does lose some resolution. Is this worth it? I've heard of people using higher resolution tubes to counteract this, does this actually work?

If I go for the non-Boomslang optic it would save some money as they are cheaper and would allow me to get a lower res tube. If I go for a Boomslang I'd want to get a high resolution tube (whether to use Boomslangs to start with, or upgrade to them later).

As an aside, for this sort of setup would saving more for binos make more sense? Or is it reasonably possible to match two different tubes later to make duals out of the mono?
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 4:39:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 7:49:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 7:50:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 8:37:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:33:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:
Saw the 2nd part of your question OP.

Yeah most places with decent stock can find you a close match really quickly. We usually average around 200-500 tubes in stock (on the lower end this year) and can find a close match without any wait.
View Quote

Is it more viable to take the tube out of the mono and buy a matched tube later to stick into dedicated binos? Or better to bridge two matched monos?
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chosos:
I would start with a higher end tube and carson optics. Every wfov optic i have tried came at the cost of resolution at distance and less contrast. I own rpo lenses now but if i had to buy once, i would just stick with carson. If you absolutely need the wfov then the boomslangs may be an option, but if not,  just go with carson and better tubes or toss the $ to a nightfighter class.
View Quote

That sounds like a good idea. My main goal in figuring out how good the boomslangs are is to figure out how much I should care about extra resolution. I.e. if extra resolution doesn't help boomslangs then getting above 64 lp is nice but not essential
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 8:01:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 8:04:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top