Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2024 8:11:11 PM EDT
I post about this rifle on Gunboards, so if you haunt both places you might have seen it already.

Hit a gun store that I have not visited for a while in their new location.  They had quite a few milsurps from a single collection.  What I brought home is the title "ar 42" K98.  Seems to be some type of capture or post-war re-issue based on the ground waffenampts.  Mauser-werke Berlin based on the receiver code.

On the barrel ahead of the receiver it is marked "42cyw" which I am not familiar with.  There is very little finish on the metal.  The receiver SN matches the stock and bottom metal, but the rest is pure mixer.  Bore looks great.  The quick consensus is that this is a very typical Romanian or Albanian used rifle imported in the 1990s (InterOrdnance import).  

I'd be curious what other folks would consider a fair deal.  I see really nice K98ks that are original, matching and in good condition go for at least $1500 and up. These days, though, I rarely see these lower-condition, post-War reissue or Russian Capture for sale. I paid $699 which is more that I would have liked, but I thought seemed like current value for one with some level of matching (stock + metal and barreled receiver) and a good bore. But I also know there are many that would not buy at all or say these are "only worth fiddy bucks."

Thoughts welcome.

rob
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Convert to .308?

Nice gat.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 9:46:48 AM EDT
[#2]
That does look a lot like the other Romanian K98's I've seen. It's wearing a VZ24 sight hood though.

Link Posted: 7/25/2024 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Post-war Israeli purchase?
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#4]
"ar" is Mauser.  CYW appears to be a metal fabricating firm ( Saechsische Guss-stahlwerke Doehlen AG, Stahlwerke Freital / Sachsen) who presumably made the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Harder to find code but yes one of the 1990's Balkans imports.

And they were $69 from SOG
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:
Post-war Israeli purchase?
View Quote
Always wanted one of those when they were reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#7]
It is still 8mm.  I really don't see any ADDED markings.  Just the defaced waffenampts and/or German markings.

I have removed the front sight hood.  Have not seen one like it before, but I've never been a Mauser guru.  There is a lot of dried gunk and cosmoline under it, so I think it has been on there since it was imported.

Rob
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#8]
A lot of the guns that went to the Balkans via Romania came like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top